Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8801547 04/22/14
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Which rails would you recommend? Any problem with installing drop in rails vs free float rails? I heard rumors that they can torque the barrel or damage the gas system if putting a "tacticool" grip on it?

ARIC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There would be no problems when a quality rail is installed correctly. I do not like quad rails. I highly recommend Noveske NSR's or other lightweight keymod rail systems. No need for all that extra M1913 real estate.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like Troy or Midwest low-profile rails. I would not waste money on a drop in rail. I'd just buy a Magpul MOE and be done with it. You can fasten a light to those, and that is all you need.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would ask what are you going to attach to the rails?

Full rails are not quite antiquated but in my opinion, there are better options.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking for a light and laser?

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I used to use LaRue rails and Daniel Defense, both are great rails but I didn't like the feel of the rail as much as a round tube. When Troy came out with their Alpha rail, it was perfect for me.

The top has a solid rail and it comes with short sections of rail to attach anywhere else you want them to mount whatever you need.

I mount a light on the top rail with a VTAC mount and a front sight in front of the light on a 13" rail. I also have a sling attachment on the top rail just in front of the receiver. I have a sling stud on the bottom up front for a bipod or regular carry strap.

Take a look at them but if you want a full rail, LaRue or DD would be my choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Larue on one AR that has been great. I'm also very happy with my Samson Evo.

The EVO series has standard screw holes every 90 and "s" shaped cuts at the 45 degrees positions all with internal slots that allow modular rail sections and accessories to be attached. They attach using 2 heat shields that lock onto the barrel nut and interface with the rail which secures with 2 Allen screws. They also utilizes 2 small tabs on the rail to ensure proper alignment with receiver and eliminate wobble/movement.

I agree with TWR that a solid rail up top with smaller modulars that can be added is best. Mine is set up similar to TWR's as I have an angled QD Mount on top just forward of the receiver, single solid swivel on bottom for the bipod. My light is mounted to the front right side of the rail at 45 degrees on one of the 2" modular rail sections.

Some pics from Samson's site showing the rail and mounting options:

Attached Images
Samson_Evolution_Series_12.jpg (16.86 KB, 103 downloads)
Samson_Evolution-Cs.jpg (6.5 KB, 94 downloads)
Last edited by MallardAddict; 04/23/14.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am a fan of the Daniel Defense Modular Float rail and the Midwest Industries Gen-2 SS rail. I do not like the feel or have a need for quad rails.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
KeyMod

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was a fan of the MI SS rails, that is, until I bought a Diamondhead VSR-T:

[Linked Image]

Absolutely the most comfortable free float I have ever had.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
IC B3

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I want to position the light on the side and laser on top if it doesn't interfere with my front sight? The laser will get moved to the left side of the rail? I will have to figure out the best configuration for manipulation? Don't need a bottom grip but the light/laser is a definite.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So far I've been happy with putting a tube on, and then adding a short rail here or there only as needed.

I have never seen the use for all kinds of rails all over the place.

Granted I'm not a tacticool kind of guy, I just want what I need to make things work. And no more.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This is the Troy Alpha rail with built in sight, I have the VTAC mounted light on top and a VTAC sling mount next to the receiver.
[Linked Image]
Depending on the optic and laser, I think you could mount one there too. LaRue makes their LT135 scope mount that sits a little higher so a PEQ laser will ride up top too. http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-sprm4-193-mount-qd-lt-135

Last edited by TWR; 04/23/14.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks TWR, that may work actually.

It appears that the Troy is a "free float" rail? I have a "standard" gas tube so I would need to mount a low profile gas block which shouldn't be to difficult and remove the front sight.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Rost, I agree don't need rails everywhere either. Just enough to put my light/laser.

I did see crimson trace made a laser/grip combo as well? Another option without having to get a quad rail put on.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Esox357

It appears that the Troy is a "free float" rail? I have a "standard" gas tube so I would need to mount a low profile gas block which shouldn't be to difficult and remove the front sight.

Depends - what barrel make and what type of pins?

The gas tube "size" makes no difference, it's the height/shape of the gas block that matters.

Also, not all "low profile" gas blocks will fit under a free float tube. The Troys rails are pretty generous, but the Noveske NSRs require the lowest profile gas block.

Do you have a delta ring installed? If so, you'll need to pull the barrel to get it off, or cut it away.

The Troy rail will mount to the existing barrel nut, which is nice.

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/23/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Esox357

With a recip saw, dremel and a bench grinder a standard front sight post can be "low profile" in about 30min. Buff it up after your sure that it fits, and be advised that barrel whips a lot more than you'd think when it fires and you don't want it hitting the rail, so, take away every thing that doesn't HAVE to be there and then heat it up and put a couple coats of Brownell's Oxpho Blue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a fan of the Troy Alpha rail (the cheese grater version), but mostly because I've already got QD attachments and stuff for them and standardization makes things simpler. If I'd've started out with another version I could've been just as happy with something else, I'm sure.

I've shaved down a few front sight posts to fit under Troy rails. I took one off and did it on a bench grinder and did the other in place with a dremel. The bench grinder was a much easier, cleaner job.

This was the dremel job. It's rough looking, but is also covered with a rail so it's good enough for me.
Before
[Linked Image]

After
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
And fully functional...did you pull the barrel, or just cut the delta ring assembly?

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/23/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cut it off both times.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
220 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.