Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I COULD CARE LESS WHAT THIS OLD FOOL HAS TO SAY ABOUT ANYTHING.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The people that make up corporations have always been involved in politics in the USA.

It would be impossible to separate the two.
Because if it is done to one it gets done to all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plainsman456
The people that make up corporations have always been involved in politics in the USA.

It would be impossible to separate the two.
Because if it is done to one it gets done to all.
I have no issue with the individuals who work at corporations contributing their own money to political issues; none whatsoever. The problem is when it's the corporations money. And honestly I wouldn't eliminate that; I think that would be a mistake. What I would eliminate is the unlimited funds from corporations. Like I said, corporations HAVE to have a seat at the table...but they don't have to own the table.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I agree with Justice Stevens. I think the entire constitution should be changed about every lifetime or generation. I don't see why today's generation should have to live under a pact that took place hundreds of years ago by people who for the most part weren't even voted into office, and when the country was much different than it is today. Each generation should make its own supreme law of the land.

And what, exactly, is that "supreme law of the land" today? Would you leave our governance to the whims of imperfect nit whits that change from one philosophical stance to another,bending and shaping the document every 30-40 years? Utter chaos.

The Founding Father's were very smart men;better educated and worldly-wise than most of our "leaders" today. They understood that, while times may change,human beings do not; nor do the institutions they create to govern themselves,which will inevitably seek to gather greater power,and grow corrupt in the process at the expense of their citizens.This is just as true today as it was in the 1700's...and before that as well. They had a lot of empirical data in 1776 to prove them correct.

And judging by the course of human events since then,we can conclude that they were spot on in their assessments.

Unless of course government is somehow limited in the acquisition and use of its power.Which is what the Constitution seeks to do. For a free people, it is the greatest governing document in the history of mankind.Changing it in any material way is for fools intent on their own demise.

Corporations are comprised of people...without people they do not exist.They are a mechanism for people to organize together for business and other purposes,since it would be awkward and inconvenient to deal with all those people on an individual basis. (Imagine if every stockholder in GM had to sign every contract entered into?)

Because they are comprised of "people", whether two or 200,000, they have a collective voice and are entitled to 1st Amendment Freedoms of expression the same as any individual.If this means spending millions on media coverage, so be it.

Justice Stevens is an idiot.But he has a 1st Amendment right to be an idiot.Rant over. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Nice touch on your keyboard,BobNH.

I'll simply add voting matters.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
But, but, but Bubba Clintons said it's a living document. :-Q.......

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atvalaska
what is with these elite, rich, power hungry... sob's???? time to turn off the oxygen.....

Their out of touch with the people and reality.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by isaac
Nice touch on your keyboard,BobNH.

I'll simply add voting matters.

Thanks Bob smile

Voting does matter. Intensely important.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/22/14.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Voting especially matters when you have to overcome voter fraud.

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The Founding Father's were very smart men;better educated and worldly-wise than most of our "leaders" today."

I would agree that the founders were intelligent, but not that they were better educated and worldly that most leaders today.

I think many of them would be shocked that their document remains even somewhat intact today. Those founders did not want to be ruled by laws of a different place and time, and I don't see where America should be ruled by laws of a different time. Just as they exercised a constitutional convention, so should the people of today. It may be that many of the same ideas in the previous constitution would be adopted in the next constitution, but at least it would be by people living today, and not 250 years ago.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by derby_dude
In my opinion, death can't come quick enough for the old boy. May the senile old man RIP.

Amen.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"The Founding Father's were very smart men;better educated and worldly-wise than most of our "leaders" today."

I would agree that the founders were intelligent, but not that they were better educated and worldly that most leaders today.

I think many of them would be shocked that their document remains even somewhat intact today. Those founders did not want to be ruled by laws of a different place and time, and I don't see where America should be ruled by laws of a different time. Just as they exercised a constitutional convention, so should the people of today. It may be that many of the same ideas in the previous constitution would be adopted in the next constitution, but at least it would be by people living today, and not 250 years ago.

Tell me exactly what you would change to bring the document up to contemporary standards.

Here's some to consider:

-Let's get rid of the 1st Amendment. We're a secular society today. Freedom of religion is not necessary anymore.

Freedom of the press is passe...we can let the government control all forms of media and communications and let it set the standards of what can, and cannot, be discussed.

-Eliminate the 2nd Amendment, too. The government can confiscate all the guns. The right to keep and bear arms would be gone. We'd all be safer.

-While we are at it, let's eliminate the 4th Amendment. Very inconvenient for law enforcement. They should be able to enter your house,or search your car on a whim, and arrest you without a warrant and without probable cause. It will make the cops more efficient.

-Let's eliminate term limits for the president. 8 years is not enough time for Obama to accomplish what he wants to.And we can eliminate the electoral college. This will place all the voting power in the hands of the metropolitan regions...who cares about the people in the sparsely populated states anyway? Right?

These are good ideas because they were thought up by people who have not been dead for 250 years.

What do you think?

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/22/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know that I would eliminate as much as I might expand.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're a moron,

...expand on that

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/23/14.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't know that I would eliminate as much as I might expand.

Pull up your panties and go sit in the corner

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Tell me exactly what you would change to bring the document up to contemporary standards.

Here's some to consider:

-Let's get rid of the 1st Amendment. We're a secular society today. Freedom of religion is not necessary anymore.

Freedom of the press is passe...we can let the government control all forms of media and communications and let it set the standards of what can, and cannot, be discussed.

-Eliminate the 2nd Amendment, too. The government can confiscate all the guns. The right to keep and bear arms would be gone. We'd all be safer.

-While we are at it, let's eliminate the 4th Amendment. Very inconvenient for law enforcement. They should be able to enter your house,or search your car on a whim, and arrest you without a warrant and without probable cause. It will make the cops more efficient.

-Let's eliminate term limits for the president. 8 years is not enough time for Obama to accomplish what he wants to.And we can eliminate the electoral college. This will place all the voting power in the hands of the metropolitan regions...who cares about the people in the sparsely populated states anyway? Right?

These are good ideas because they were thought up by people who have not been dead for 250 years.

What do you think?

Dood, you should run for office; you'd fit right in. wink

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I agree with Justice Stevens. I think the entire constitution should be changed about every lifetime or generation. I don't see why today's generation should have to live under a pact that took place hundreds of years ago by people who for the most part weren't even voted into office, and when the country was much different than it is today. Each generation should make its own supreme law of the land.

And what, exactly, is that "supreme law of the land" today? Would you leave our governance to the whims of imperfect nit whits that change from one philosophical stance to another,bending and shaping the document every 30-40 years? Utter chaos.

The Founding Father's were very smart men;better educated and worldly-wise than most of our "leaders" today. They understood that, while times may change,human beings do not; nor do the institutions they create to govern themselves,which will inevitably seek to gather greater power,and grow corrupt in the process at the expense of their citizens.This is just as true today as it was in the 1700's...and before that as well. They had a lot of empirical data in 1776 to prove them correct.

And judging by the course of human events since then,we can conclude that they were spot on in their assessments.

Unless of course government is somehow limited in the acquisition and use of its power.Which is what the Constitution seeks to do. For a free people, it is the greatest governing document in the history of mankind.Changing it in any material way is for fools intent on their own demise.

Corporations are comprised of people...without people they do not exist.They are a mechanism for people to organize together for business and other purposes,since it would be awkward and inconvenient to deal with all those people on an individual basis. (Imagine if every stockholder in GM had to sign every contract entered into?)

Because they are comprised of "people", whether two or 200,000, they have a collective voice and are entitled to 1st Amendment Freedoms of expression the same as any individual.If this means spending millions on media coverage, so be it.

Justice Stevens is an idiot.But he has a 1st Amendment right to be an idiot.Rant over. smile

Excellent! Spot on! Bob you hit it out of the stadium!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tell me how you know that free speech wasn't intended for corporations? Corporations are just an organization tool for groups of people. Not that much different than unions. How come you don't complain about free speech for unions? Progressive fascists are always manipulating the system to deny their enemies a fair chance to oppose the evil they do. That's why free speech is great for unions but has to be denied to corporations.

[Linked Image from ]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
GunGeek: By serendipity, I was not far off base as to what some of our "leaders" have in store for us.

Senator Ed Markey has current proposed legislation pending which would allow government to oversee "hate speech" on various media because of its effect on hate crime...things like the recent Kansas shootings are the result of such hate speech,he thinks.

So the government gets to be the judge of what kind of 1st Amendment expression constitutes "hate speech" and can curtail it....or punish it.....Mmmm.

On the Constitution....Justice Scalia recently said in a speech that the Constitution is not a "living document" that can be twisted around at will.As he said, it's THE LAW....even if it's inconvenient at times.

I agree with him.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
"On the Constitution....Justice Scalia recently said in a speech that the Constitution is not a "living document" that can be twisted around at will.As he said, it's THE LAW....even if it's inconvenient at times."

I like that boy. Wish he were younger.

Soli Deo Gloria

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.