J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Military tends to be armed when boarding ships, chasing drug boats and providing port security in the Middle East. Weird I know, but that's how they tend to do shiet.

The military uses hollow points?

Sure

Not the Army, Navy Marines or USAF to my knowledge. I have 110 guards here and we are only allowed to use 9mm ball.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20100215/NEWS/2150312/Corps-use-more-lethal-ammo-Afghanistan

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is there more to that article that I am not seeing? One sentence is all that shows up.

The Marine Corps is dropping its conventional 5.56mm ammunition in Afghanistan in favor of new deadlier, more accurate rifle rounds, and could field them at any time.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

IMHO "open tip" is a PC way of saying "hollow point"

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bloggers/2544535/posts

USMC Adopts New Open-tip �SOST� 5.56 Ammo
2/17/2010

After learning that M855 NATO ammo does not perform well from short-barreled rifles such as the M4 carbine, the U.S. Marine Corps has started issuing a new type of 5.56�45 ammo to its troops in Afghanistan. The new SOST (Special Operations Science and Technology) ammo, officially designated MK 318 MOD 0 �Cartridge, Caliber 5.56mm Ball, Carbine, Barrier�, features a different open-tip 62mm bullet. The new bullet, with a lead core (in the top half) and solid copper bottom half, is similar to hunting bullets such as Federal�s Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. The SOST bullet was designed by Federal/ATK, which will produce the loaded ammunition.

SOST 5.56 ammo

The new SOST ammo was first developed for use by SOCOM (Special Operations) in the SCAR rifle, which has a short, 13.8″ barrel. Even in short-barreled rifles, the SOST provides impressive ballistics � achieving 2925 fps in a 14″ barrel. Compared to M855 ball ammo, SOST rounds are more lethal when shot from short-barreled rifles. According to the Marine Times, SOST ammunition delivers �consistent, rapid fragmentation which shortens the time required to cause incapacitation of enemy combatants�. Using an open-tip design common with some sniper ammunition, SOST rounds are designed to be �barrier blind�, meaning they stay on target better than existing M855 rounds after penetrating windshields, car doors and other objects. This is important to troops in the Middle Eastern theater who must engage insurgents inside vehicles or hiding behind barriers.

In Afghanistan, the USMC will issue SOST ammo for both the short-barreled M4 carbine as well as the original, full-length M16A4. The Corps purchased a �couple million� SOST rounds as part of a joint $6 million, 10.4-million-round buy in September � enough to last the service several months in Afghanistan.

M855 Criticized by Ground Troops and Pentagon Testers

The standard Marine 5.56 round, the M855, was developed in the 1970s and approved as an official NATO round in 1980. In recent years, however, it has been the subject of widespread criticism from troops, who question whether it has enough punch to stop oncoming enemies.

In 2002, shortcomings in the M855′s performance were detailed in a report by Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane, Ind., according to Navy Department documents. Additional testing in 2005 showed shortcomings. The Pentagon issued a request to industry for improved ammunition the following year.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by luv2safari
The Military needs Great stores of munitions. I have no problem with that.

What needs to be stopped in its tracks is the build up of The Peoples' Army of the Bureaucrats", Obama's new Brown Shirts. These are the gang we'll need to defeat. The headlong militarism of all departments of the Federal Government is nothing but a precursor to a totalitarian state.

WE own this nation, not any government entity. They obviously fear us; they're doing everything possible to disarm and marginalize loyal citizens. mad
This.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
the numbers are severly inflated.....

they are taking into account every swinging Richard they have
from clerks and jerks to actual trigger pullers

they all aint issued a shotgun by far

my company in oif1 Bco 1/502nd IN. got 5 shotguns for issue
a couple of old ithacas and Winchesters
they was issued out to 3 platoons for the #1 man to carry out of your standard 4 man entry team for room clearing while he had his m-4 slung across his back and the 5 guys in the company had maybe 25 rounds apeice of 3 inch 00 buckshot at the most

unca sugar is doing huge buyups taking into account everyone assigned to a branch even little sally the receptionist to create a trickle down effect with raw materials across the entire industry

ammo manufactur gets huge contract
logistics are simplified for delivery to one standard location for the bulk of it then up to unca sugar to get it out
ammo manufactur greatly reduces cost delivering to single buyer versus multiple civilian retail locations

it is all informal gun control with huge gov ammo buyups with its trickle down affect on civilian supply and demand

word....................................................

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lauren
Well, considering that a box of 22's was always about a buck, and so was gas from about 1976 or so. Gas is now pretty near 4 bucks.
If I had to pay 5 bucks for a box of 22's, not such a big deal.

i don't need no stinkin .223, f'n military chit.

Your posts show you to be an idiot. 223 is not military "chit" its a sporting round the military happens to use... like the 30-40 krag, the 45-70, the 30-06, the 308 and so on... But what would one expect from a liberal eh?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Anyone ever mention that what a contract says is how much they MIGHT have to fulfill, but rarely from what I understdant, do they often purchase all that is alloted?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Congrats Lauren. Your people have made the US middle class now no. 2 in terms of wealth. I envy your joy this AM.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Military tends to be armed when boarding ships, chasing drug boats and providing port security in the Middle East. Weird I know, but that's how they tend to do shiet.

The military uses hollow points?

Sure

Not the Army, Navy Marines or USAF to my knowledge. I have 110 guards here and we are only allowed to use 9mm ball.

The CG does, the CG is Military, hence if someone asks does the Military use HP ammo, YES is the correct answer.

He didn't specify branch, just the generic Military.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by 4ager

if a brick of 22's don't last the rest of your life you better find another way to get it done.

You've obviously never shot ground squirrels.

Or had kids and grandkids.

Or a rational thought..............

LMAO laugh

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Pur dept has 33 officers, both full time and part time. We qualify four times a year with carry ammo. And are given a 1,000 rounds annually for our own practice. With practic and carry ammo, our dept purchases 55,000 rounds a year, just in handgun ammo. Full time guys are given another thousand rounds for the M-4s and shotguns are"pool" guns. I don't know how much ammo we buy for them. But these numbers are just to put things into acope of what purchaing can be for agencies
I get the feeling some of y'all are not reading the article. That is up to you. However, it seems like reading it might help accurate commentary on it. There is more there than ammo purchases.

I did read the entire article. But the article jumps around, a lot.

As far as ammunition orders go, I see no point in arguing it any more than I have. People that have been involved in the qualification and training of even (relatively) small numbers of personnel, know how much ammo is consumed. When I was but a wee-'flave working a range for the first time, I was amazed by the amounts of ammo that were drawn and fired on a daily basis. I don't begrudge people for questioning ammo orders, because I know lots of good men that are initially taken aback when they see the figures. But when broken down shotgun style, even a hard-headed sumbitch can see they are not unrealistic numbers.

Regarding armor vehicles being given out to local LE agencies, that doesn't mean schit either. The wars have ended, .gov is giving schit away. Simple as that. They've been giving schit away when wars end for a long [bleep]' time. And 8 times out of 10, the stuff they give away turns into a bucket of rust or a novelty after about 24 months because everybody figures out what it cost to keep the POS running. Or (more likely) the people that made them aren't making them any more because the war is over.

The most prominent scenario being prepared for these days is the Active Shooter. Seems there's a Charles Whitman every four or five days in the past couple years and it has law enforcement befuddled. Would vehicles like that be useful in an AS scenario? Yes, they would. Up-armor? Absolutely. And the list goes on.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
shyt.........................

just take a gerber tool and clip off the ends of a couple 5.56,s just below the tungsten penetrator cone inside the tip of the rounds jacket
file up the rough edges of the jacket a little bit
do this for your 1st 5 or 6 rounds in the top of your mag
and bingo you got perfectly good dum dum rounds for haji

Last edited by renegade50; 04/23/14.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The sky is falling...

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Your liberal buds have been saying so for years, with respect to climate change, co2, methane gas, fracking, farting, etc.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
is lauren a chicks name or a dudes name or a combo of both

anyways

-10 (non reinstatable ever) man points for having a username like lauren

laugh laugh laugh

Last edited by renegade50; 04/23/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The sky is falling...

Not when you have a WHOLE brick of 22LR!

You silly non-shootin' [bleep].

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
fugg, I don't even have a .22

but I have gotten a couple of boxes every now and then for slumlord when I seen em at a decent price

he hoards em like a squirrel does acorns

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I usually shoot to do the dirty job that needs doing. That is enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ask your self why. Why in 2013 did the DHS order 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition, and now why are they buying another 25 million.

The DHS, all together, has 162,364 armed agents, they are:

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (18,000)
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (45,600)
Federal Emergency Management Agency (7,474)
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (20,546)
Transportation Security Administration (58,401)
United States Coast Guard (7,942)
National Protection and Programs Directorate (1)
United States Secret Service (4,400)

But that's 1625000000 rounds. That's 104856 per agent!!!

Why, what are they getting ready for. That is about what was expended for Iraq per year including training. Why would law enforcement need that much ammo?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I usually shoot to do the dirty job that needs doing. That is enough.

No, you don't.

Nice try though.

Travis

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,467
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.