-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know this question has been asked before, but the search limited my query to one year.

I'm considering using one (if my unit allows it) to access deeper into the unit on my archery elk.

Who's done it and what advice do you have?

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't do it, but I'll advise to remember the rules of the trails. Bicycles yields to pedestrians, and equines, pedestrians yield to equines. When you meet an equine on the trail remember that is 1000-1200 pounds of stupid and they can do some disastrous things when spooked.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done it and posted some pics here before.
Train.
Train far in advance.
All summer.
I would ride 10 miles a night, several nights a week.
Is does not take very long to do.
I rode up hills (paved) in my neighborhood as part of every ride.
We would ride trails and roads one day a weekend to train and scout for bulls. It works.
Mud and uphill sucks the life out of my legs on the trail, but I'm old.
I pulled a game cart attached to my bike out to the campsite.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Every area is different. I'd reco finding out about the area that you intend to hunt and scouting out if it is even possible.

I know a few people that have used bikes for caribou hunts here and came back cut, scraped, bruised enough to say never again.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I don't do it, but I'll advise to remember the rules of the trails. Bicycles yields to pedestrians, and equines, pedestrians yield to equines. When you meet an equine on the trail remember that is 1000-1200 pounds of stupid and they can do some disastrous things when spooked.

+1

*Most* of the bikers I've encountered on trails are courteous.

There are some that are 'only' 200 pounds of stupid, but they more than make up the weight difference with the stupid coefficient.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An excellent method for quickly and relatively quietly getting a bit further in where allowed. Reseach (Starkey) has shown that elk are sensitive to ATV and mt bike traffic, and less so to hikers and horsemen. Speculation is that "closing speed" is the trigger initiating flight. Deer are less affected. I'd much rather encouter mt. bikers, horsemen, and hikers than motor cycles and ATV users.

A few users at not going to totally upset the environment, but the sudden appearance of heavy traffic could move elk away from road and trail systems. In more urban or heavily trafficed zones, yes, the critter can be come desensitized and ignore traffic. Those not dealing with it on a daily basis are another story though.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/10/14.

1Minute
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Andy:

Most of the deer and elk will be pretty high during archery season. That means they will probably be in a designated wilderness area. Nothing with a wheel is allowed in a wilderness area. So you can't take a bicycle into a wilderness area. Heck you can't even take a game cart.

There will always be some elk that hang around at lower elevations. So maybe a bicycle would be useful there.

[Linked Image]

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I did this last year. It can be handy at times, but if you are wearing a heavy backpack it is murder on your hips, upper legs, etc. The belt of my pack (Osprey Aether) made it uncomfortable to pedal. When each leg comes to the top, the belt "pinches". I finally got off and pushed my bike back to the truck. May not be that way for everyone, but its something to keep in mind. I never expected that and I would think twice about doing it again...I have a slim build and was in good shape.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
In wet conditions here in Texas the mud will stick to the tires, load them up & create a problem well worth forgoing.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input gents.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've hunted black bears behind closed Forest Service gates in the spring with my mountain bike. Some of those rides out after dark with a headlamp are pretty entertaining.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We do it as routine in a certain unit here. The roads are closed except for main arteries. I highly recommend you do it.

Animals have never seen it before; you'll be surprised how close you can get to them. The fact that they're quiet is helpful.

The problem of mud has been mentioned. It's real and it's really the only drawback. If there is any mud or the possibility of precipitation during a ride that starts out dry, DO NOT EVEN GO THERE.

There is a canyon we hunt that has a nice trail perfect for a bike. There is no road. The canyon is accessible on both ends by main roads. We drop a truck off at one end, drive 20 miles with the bikes in the other truck to the other end of the canyon, and hunt to the truck we left. 11 mile bike ride.

Two times it started dry, rained or snowed creating mud.

It's really not too much fun carrying your bike that is packed with 15 pounds of mud as well as your pack and rifle while your boots pack up with 5 pounds of mud on each during the 5 miles back to the truck

It's good exercise though. laugh

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
[Linked Image]

For pig hunting we ride in then use the bike to bring the pig out, after gutting it we slide it over the seat....just remember a plastic bag to put over the seat smile

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have brought out a couple of deer while Mnt bike hunting,,, it is steep around here so I try to have a downhill ride back out,,,, I have a good back rack and set of panniers, both hams and both shoulders are a pretty easy fit, better have a good back tire and tube,, spare tube is a must

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I think it can be very useful!!! I go where Summer time is huge Mountain bike area and the trails are un walkable because of the ruts. This year they had the trails all closed to bikes to fix them. Common sense would say when it is wet or raining not to use the trails at all, so people on foot can enjoy walking on a trail. But, I think it is a good resource to use and less noise if you are in great shape of course as some of those trails are hard enough to walk up!!!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We have been using bikes for 20 years. But we do have gated roads to use. Get a good head lamp. Also a bike light. I also recommend a good pack to carry your bow or rifle on rather than the handle bars. Also we use a bike rack and mount a plastic box on it for carrying water and extra gear if you in a area that you can use a trailer it makes a game retrieval easier. Although we have packed a lot of meat out on pack frames while riding our bikes.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://patrickfmcmanus.com/Writers'%20Forum.html

Here's how Pat did it:

The First Deer

People often ask me how I ever became such an awful hunter. The answer is my first deer. I never fully recovered from it.

Many years ago I reported on this incident in a column for Field & Stream Magazine. I believe that column was collected in my first book, A Fine & Pleasant Misery. I could tell you for certain but I would have to get up and walk across the room and check the book.

Anyway, the report went something like this. Although my memory may be a little shaky, everything about this report is true.

When I was 14 years old, there was nothing I liked better than deer hunting. But I had one problem. I had never been and had no one to take me, because my father had died when I was very young and all the neighbors were afraid to be around me when I was armed.

So one fall day I decided to take matters into my own hands. I tied my deer rifle to the handle bars of my bicycle, put a little sack lunch in the basket, got on and started pumping up the mountain in quest of my very first deer.

About half way up the mountain I came across a real hunters� camp. It was beautiful! Just like one of the illustrations of a hunting camp in an outdoor magazine. There were big white-wall tents, men walking around in their beautiful hunting gear, big four-wheel drive vehicles�oh, it was absolutely wonderful!

When the hunters saw me, pumping my bike up the mountain in quest of my very first deer, they thought I was the funniest thing they had ever seen and they started hooting and hollering and teasing me. I said to myself, �You guys just wait! You�ll be surprised when I get a deer before you do!�

Well, just as I crested the top of the mountain a beautiful four-point buck stepped out of the brush and stood there looking at me. I didn�t know what to do�I�d never shot anything before, but finally I managed to snap off a shot. That deer dropped like a rock! I was amazed! It had been such a difficult shot, too. The rifle was still tied to the handlebars!

I rushed over to the deer to look for a bullet hole but couldn�t find any. Then I noticed a big chunk had been taken out of one of its antlers. I had hit it so hard in the antlers that I had killed it! My problem then was how to get the deer home so my grandmother could dress it out for me.

I somehow managed to drag the deer over to my bicycle. (Deer are a whole lot heavier than you might think.) First I tried draping it over the rear-fender carrier but its hind legs dragged on one side and its head and front legs on the other side, so I knew that wouldn�t work.

Suddenly I remembered that I often carried friends of mine astraddle of the rear-fender carrier! Yes! I thought. I twisted the deer up and around and finally got it sitting astraddle of the carrier.

Then I tied each of its front legs to either side of the handlebars. Finally, I wiggled in between its legs and got on the seat. I now had the deer�s head draped over my right shoulder. I started to pedal�it�s a lot harder to pedal with a deer on a bicycle than you might think.

Just as the front wheel of my bike went over the crest of the mountain and we started down the steep decline, I heard something strange. I had never heard anything like it before�it sounded kind of like--I don�t know exactly what--kind of like --a snort.

I turned and looked at the deer. It was blinking its eyes! Right away the deer panicked�its first time on a bicycle�but there was nothing I could do about that now! The bike was picking up speed and bouncing over rocks and around logs and the deer was thrashing around and blowing deer slobber all over my face and it was terrible.

Just then we passed the hunting camp. I could see the hunters were surprised I had got a deer before they did.

We continued on down the mountain and suddenly I realized I had made a serious mistake. I had forgotten to tie down the deer�s hind legs. As it thrashed around it somehow managed to get its hind hooves on the pedals. And then it caught on to pedaling! It started to like it!

Now we were really flying down the mountain! If you think a deer can run fast, you haven�t seen anything until you�ve seen a deer of a bicycle! When we reached the bottom, I threw myself off and lay there on the ground as I watched the deer disappear over the horizon with my bike!

Later I heard that it was shot by police--while holding up a liquor store--in Tacoma, Washington--with my rifle!

I think that first deer is the reason I never became a very good hunter.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A bike works really well to cover miles behind gates.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.