Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Been thinking about getting one for years, but whenever I saw one in the shop I didn't like the trigger, and figured another $75 or $100 for a trigger job into the price total. I saw it in the case and asked to check it out. It has a trigger on it like a Les Baer, nicely crisp, not a hint of creep. Break weight a hair under four pounds. Highly polished flats, all else nicely bead-blasted, providing a good grip feel. Slide glides snugly and smoothly on the rails. Not a speck of slop in the lock up. Comes with lowered and flared ejection port. Comes with checked cocobolo double-diamond grips, with SA emblem. Very nicely made gun.

A range session showed the sights were dead on, and the gun is accurate. In the 100 rounds of FMJ fired, not a single hiccup (still have to try some carry ammo in it). Price was $699.00. I'm happy.

[Linked Image]

PS Over the years I've come to discover that I prefer the old standard Government Model setup on a 1911, i.e., no bells and whistles, i.e., standard A1 style grip safety (no beavertail), standard thumb safety, etc.. Only thing I wouldn't mind would be a set of Novak sights, with a night sight only on the front, but I can live with these.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So I have my S&W LW Commander with all the bells and whistles; I like it.

And I have my 1991 .38 Super that I've made as close as I can get to an old school A1 Super; I like it.

Aesthetically I prefer the old school gun. Functionally, I see the advantages of the newer style, but I don't think the difference is all that big. I actually shoot the Super better than the Commander. But that may be accounted for in full size all steel vs. Commander aluminum, and Super vs. 45.

Regardless, old school 1911's are just as deadly today as they were 100 years ago.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Good gun as is.

Springfield's are one of the best (all things considered including $$) for a build if you go that way.

Forged and heat treated frame and slides.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only beef with Springfield (and several others) is aesthetic. Ever notice how the front strap of the slide doesn't wrap back to the leading edge of the grip? Anytime I build up a Springfield (and most others except S&W and Colt), the first thing I do is get out a 12" double cut file and hog that thing down and shape the front strap to where it's supposed to be. Literally my only complaint with Springfield; and that's a pretty nit-picky complaint.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by GunGeek
My only beef with Springfield (and several others) is aesthetic. Ever notice how the front strap of the slide doesn't wrap back to the leading edge of the grip? Anytime I build up a Springfield (and most others except S&W and Colt), the first thing I do is get out a 12" double cut file and hog that thing down and shape the front strap to where it's supposed to be. Literally my only complaint with Springfield; and that's a pretty nit-picky complaint.

I know you do a good job, but you do charge a little more for that don't you?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gibby

I know you do a good job, but you do charge a little more for that don't you?

Depends...short answer is; I don't work for free.

If I'm building a full custom pistol and it has my name on it, it's included. I will quote the full pistol as a package; I don't parse it out by line item because there are oodles of little things like that I want done before I put my name on a gun.

If I'm doing item by item custom work, and the gun doesn't have my name on the side, then I will offer that as a line item cost. It's $50.00.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I really like my Springfield Mil Spec (Parkerized). I have the Clark .460 Rowland barrel in it now, and it handles the extra power very well.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Over the years I've come to discover that I prefer the old standard Government Model setup on a 1911, i.e., no bells and whistles, i.e., standard A1 style grip safety (no beavertail), standard thumb safety, etc.. Only thing I wouldn't mind would be a set of Novak sights, with a night sight only on the front, but I can live with these.

My favorite handguns are bone stock. My favorite rifles aren't.

Go figure...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I should say the only mod I have had done to my Delta was N/S. So I guess it isn't bone stock.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

...I thought I was the only one who ever noticed that the front strap radius of a SA is different than any other 1911 I've ever picked up. I can pick up 10 1911s blindfolded and if there is one Springer in there it just stands out in my hand...

They are really nicely built guns however...and the first to bring out ramped barrels when they started chambering their guns in .38 Super along with proper headspacing on the case mouth...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
You mean the front strap of the grip frame, right? Yeah, that's something I've never particularly liked about Springfields. They actually fixed that with their GI Model. At least in the beginning they did. Don't know if they went back to doing it their standard way since then with the GI.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice. Congrats.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You couldn't give me a bone stock 1911 no matter who built it. smile

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EdM
If somebody does give you one, PM me and I'll send you my gun dealer's address so you can send it to me. Remember, I asked first.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by EdM
If somebody does give you one, PM me and I'll send you my gun dealer's address so you can send it to me. Remember, I asked first.

I'll flip you for it. Heads or tails?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EdM

I'll flip you for it. Heads or tails?
Sorry, I got in line first.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
CDNN is selling the Remington R1 for $475 and the Para Expert for $400.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, that's a smokin deal. I've shot 2 or 3 Para Experts and I thought they were nice guns. Still have yet to shoot the Remington.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I thought so. If I were home the Para would be on its way. My middle son is visiting us here in Oz and has wanted a 1911 for years. He just ran the CDNN deal on his iPhone so one will be heading to Tyler Texas tomorrow. smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I looked at a blue Springfield Mil Spec the other day at my LGS and I liked it. But the rebates on a Remington or a Para are too big to ignore!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
TRH inspired me grab a Springfield. Ran some Blazer through it, I like.
[Linked Image]

Travis

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Travis, is that an older Loaded Model?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I honestly do not know. Got it in a horse trade.

Travis

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Looks like one to me.

PS Shot some JHP ammo out of the Mil Spec today. Two mags full of 230 grain Remington Golden Sabre and two mags full of Cor-Bon 185 grain. No problems. I'd need to shoot more of what I would carry in it (Golden Sabre) before comfortably carrying it for self-defense, but that's a good start.

I also shot another fifty rounds of Winchester White Box 230 grain FMJ out of it today, and again no problems. Functions perfectly so far.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's good she's eatin' everything. Sounds like a keeper.

I don't even need or want the Springfield I got, but it's so freakin' sweet I may just end up selling my Delta and keeping the foe-five!

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great pistol , you are well armed

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

I don't even need or want the Springfield I got, but it's so freakin' sweet I may just end up selling my Delta and keeping the foe-five!

Travis
That Delta is pretty nice too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good gun as is.

Springfield's are one of the best (all things considered including $$) for a build if you go that way.

Forged and heat treated frame and slides.
+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Been thinking about getting one for years, but whenever I saw one in the shop I didn't like the trigger, and figured another $75 or $100 for a trigger job into the price total. I saw it in the case and asked to check it out. It has a trigger on it like a Les Baer, nicely crisp, not a hint of creep. Break weight a hair under four pounds. Highly polished flats, all else nicely bead-blasted, providing a good grip feel. Slide glides snugly and smoothly on the rails. Not a speck of slop in the lock up. Comes with lowered and flared ejection port. Comes with checked cocobolo double-diamond grips, with SA emblem. Very nicely made gun.

A range session showed the sights were dead on, and the gun is accurate. In the 100 rounds of FMJ fired, not a single hiccup (still have to try some carry ammo in it). Price was $699.00. I'm happy.

[Linked Image]

PS Over the years I've come to discover that I prefer the old standard Government Model setup on a 1911, i.e., no bells and whistles, i.e., standard A1 style grip safety (no beavertail), standard thumb safety, etc.. Only thing I wouldn't mind would be a set of Novak sights, with a night sight only on the front, but I can live with these.

Nice. I've been wanting to bring one home for a while. They are good guns for the money. Hard to beat a springer 1911!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis
That Delta is pretty nice too.

White people problems... grin

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I reckon so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I had thought this was corrected with newer production being rounded.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GaryVA

I had thought this was corrected with newer production being rounded.
They did for a while with the GI Model, but soon went back to the non-traditional pattern again.

G
G
1911airborne pistol gripe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

BTW on the subject of the front strap not being milled correctly; I figured out why. They do it to save on machine time. The radius of the front strap of the Springfields (older) and other guns with a similar radius, is the same as the radius on the dust cover. So in manufacturing they're using the same radius cutter to save the time of changing cutters.

Springfield has cured this, and most of their newer guns have the correct radius. But many other 1911's still don't have the correct radius. Still, not a real big deal, but I thought I'd point out the observation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
754 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.