Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am looking for a small "use and abuse" axe for camping. It will be used for splitting kindling, driving in tent pegs, possibly even digging, and any other assorted odd jobs that may be required.

Are the current production Estwings any good?

I know one of the hand forged Swedish axes would be better, but I am looing for a use and abuse multi purpose camp tool, not a heritage collectors item...

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 04/22/14.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an Estwing hatchet with the pressed leather handle. It's very, very soft steel. It's on the level of lawn mower blade in softness. I sharpen everything on a big belt sander that I make knives on. If you've got it why not use it right? So you've got to slow way down on the Estwing because material just goes away. I have to say I got a Gransfors Small Forest Ax for Christmas and it is night and day different. I would not use it as a digging tool though. I have a very old yard sale ax that I welded a crack in and shaped the head like a Husdon Bay Ax and stuck on a Boy's ax handle. It goes everywhere with me and I cut roots out of the dirt with it. It is much harder than the Estwing. I can't recommend an ax I don't have but I can tell you the Estwing I have is very soft.

A little fireman's ax would serve as an ax and a digging tool.
http://www.counciltool.com/DisplayCategories.asp?pg=displaycategories&category=30

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
the firemans axe is a good idea, heres another on the same site that would sure work

http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp?pg=product&item=38PE136

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen the Gransfors Bruks Mini and the Wildlife. I've also seen the Small Forest Axe. I love all three of em'. I think either of the first two mentioned would suit your needs. The Mini is pretty small. The fellas I know that have GB's...use the crap out of em'...! They sure don't treat em' like a heritage collectors item. They don't abuse em'...but they don't baby em' either...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Gransfors and a Husqvarana, from what you write I suspect a Husqvarana would make you happy, they are half the price.

And I'll bet you'll like the splitting ax better. It is far better for splitting, has a larger head for driving stakes, and the added weight should also be a plus. But it isn't a chopper, still able to make a tent peg but not a wood cutter.

I'm disappointed by my GB small forest ax for camp duty. Terrible splitter and not big enough for chopping.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boise
I'm disappointed by my GB small forest ax for camp duty. Terrible splitter and not big enough for chopping.

Boise...do you think the GB Scandinavian Forest Ax would serve you better for those purposes...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I posted the following in a thread about hatchets several months ago. I guess it is still true.

I have had a 12 inch Estwing hatchet since 1960 and used it hard. It has taken a lot of abuse over the years and is on its second handle. The 20 inch Gransfors Bruk (GB) is only about 10 years old. To me Estwing is more handy for a hatchet than the GB and it is the one I will most likely have when I need a hatchet.

Some comments were made about the Estwing hatchets being soft. I decided to check the Rockwell hardness of the 1960 Estwing and the GB. The Estwing measures 53 RC and the GB measures 60 RC. These measurements would pretty much back up my guesses about the two hatchets. The Estwing has held a good edge and never chipped in more than 50 years of use. The GB, on the other hand, holds a great edge, but I knocked a big chip out of the edge several years after I got it splitting some fat lighter wood. That chip represented a failure to me as far as a hatchet goes. I would rather have to touch up an edge than regrind one to get a notch out and make the edge usable again. I might be in a location that regrinding an edge isn't possible and a big notch would take the hatchet out of commission.

I can't say what newer Estwings would test or what someone else might find on their GB hatchet. I can only say what mine measured and my experience with the two hatchets backs it up. The Estwing has about the right heat treat for me and the GB is just too hard.
[Linked Image]

Harry
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the replies..

I actually have a small Husqvarana axe that I use for squitting kindling at home and I am indeed very happy with it..

However, I was looking at the Estwing has the metal shaft would make it pretty much bomb proof from an abuse point of view..

The other axe I was considering is the Fiskar small camp axe if anybody has any thoughts on that?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers

Boise...do you think the GB Scandinavian Forest Ax would serve you better for those purposes...?

I don't know - I thought the small forest ax was going to be the bomb but the Husqy splitter is far, far better at splitting wood for the patio fire. The GB out chops it's size but I chop very little, for me its either a chain saw or a bow saw. I'm dealing with 95% ponderosa pine.

Pete E, my brothers swear by their Fiskar axes. I've never heard a Fiskar ax owner bad mouth the product.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Pete E, my brothers swear by their Fiskar axes. I've never heard a Fiskar ax owner bad mouth the product.

I just bought a 28in Fiskars splitting maul and split a couple cords of pear and pecan with it. Quite impressed.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have not intentionally abused my Eastwing hatchet, but decades of use shows. 13 inches long and about 1 3/4 pounds.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That thing is hardly broken in good. cool

Harry
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd say it has Character and you have a few stories to tell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak

[Linked Image]

Not sure if Estwing still makes that model or not but if they do I'd choose it over the hatchet.
I have a stacked leather handled hatchet that I have no intention of getting rid of but it sucks for pounding tent stakes because the pole's only about a half inch wide.

I use my old Plumb rigging axe (similar to the Estwing above) for camping. It's indestructible.
http://www.amazon.com/Plumb-11559P-Ounce-Rigster-Hatchet/dp/B00004YYEZ

ETA,,, I just checked Estwing's web site. They still make it.
http://www.estwing.com/r_leather_carpenters_hatchets.php

Last edited by FieldGrade; 04/23/14.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
. I use my old Plumb rigging axe

The Vaughn rigger is better balanced for driving, and has a slimmer blade more suitable for chopping, shaving.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go with the Estwing. Your grandkids will still be using and abusing it years from now.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I agree, Vaughn produces quality tools.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
. I use my old Plumb rigging axe

The Vaughn rigger is better balanced for driving, and has a slimmer blade more suitable for chopping, shaving.

BS,,,, I swung a Plumb for 30+ years back before nail guns even existed.
Had to drive a 50# keg of sinkers every day or you'd be back packing lumber.
Vaughn makes great hammers but their riggers ain't in the running.

Back on topic,,, any carpenters hatchet is dam handy in camp and better than the Estwing hatchet for driving stakes and such IMO.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 04/23/14.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Vaughn makes great hammers but their riggers ain't in the running.

I guess our preferences are different..... I 'run'd 4 vaughns to 1 plumb....grin

[Linked Image]

any carpenters hatchet is dam handy in camp and better than the Estwing hatchet for driving stakes and such IMO.

I'd add that any WOOD-HANDLED carpenters hatchet will be easier on elbows and joints than either the leather-clad, or rubber-clad steel handled estwings...... Lottsa guys had to give up their building careers too early, due to arm problems caused by the extra shock to joints caused by steel estwings......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I note that you are keeping quiet about that wee little blue hunters hatchet on the far left...I have been keeping an eye out for an early one for a while.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

559 members (260Remguy, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,880
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.