Hop To
#8804305 04/23/14
B
Buzzaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Stopped by Jackson Armory in Dallas yesterday, spoke with their head gunsmith. This store specializes in older and antique firearms.

I asked him about taking the bolt apart for a thorough cleaning. I asked him if I could do it, he said really, NO. So I am going to take the rifle to him, for this, also to learn more about my new Pre-64 70.

Question; Back in the day, we used to field strip our 1911's and soak all parts in a bucket of Varsol, dry cleaning fluid. This would strip everything off the metal, we would then blow dry and re lube with lot's of Marvel Mystery Oil. Could I submerge the M70 bolt in the varsol, let it soak, blow it out, re-lube? I want to make sure all springs, etc are good to go.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The pre 64 bolt is probably the easiest bolt to disassemble and clean. I cant understand why his reservation. As to soaking it in Varsol, I have never seen or used this product. I simply remove the firing pin assembly, a remarkably simple process, and squirt the innards down with engine starting fluid, wait a few minute for it to evaporate and then oil it and reassemble. I have worked on this model for 40 plus years and have never seen or heard of a firing pin spring failure. In fact the springs are so stout, they had a reputation of altering headspace on the rifles chambered in 35 Remington. I would council against rebluing the bolt as it had no useful reason and devalues the rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
Stopped by Jackson Armory in Dallas yesterday, spoke with their head gunsmith. This store specializes in older and antique firearms.

I asked him about taking the bolt apart for a thorough cleaning. I asked him if I could do it, he said really, NO. So I am going to take the rifle to him, for this, also to learn more about my new Pre-64 70.

Question; Back in the day, we used to field strip our 1911's and soak all parts in a bucket of Varsol, dry cleaning fluid. This would strip everything off the metal, we would then blow dry and re lube with lot's of Marvel Mystery Oil. Could I submerge the M70 bolt in the varsol, let it soak, blow it out, re-lube? I want to make sure all springs, etc are good to go.

I wouldn't let that smith work on my stick horse. If he thinks you are not capable of tearing a model 70 bolt apart, he either thinks you are a retard or he wants your money for a 5 second tear down of the most simple bolt design ever made.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
He might be a good 'smith, but he's fleecing you. If you can field strip a 1911 then this is a piece of cake. As BSA said, simple.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Buzzaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
thanks guys, I agree. Do I need a special tool?

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There is a tool that makes taking the firing pin spring and keeper off very easy, it can be done without the tool BUT I looked for a week in my office before finding a keeper that 'shot off'. I have also heard horror story's of firing pins getting away!very best winpoor

B
Buzzaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks winpoor, you have so much knowledge of these cool rifles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1234, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.