Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wasn't overly impressed with the previous version 3-15x42 (no side focus) or even the 50mm version with SF.
Just wondering if this HD version is optically sharper???

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The name on the objective glares at you when you look at the rifle with that MINOX name on it.

I might have kept the 3-15 I had. The scopes resolution was good but it did not look right on the rifle.

[Linked Image]

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Was yours the new HD model?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had what they were shipping about a year ago! The scopes resolution and magnification were fine.

What's not right is that large MINOX name as shown. That's why I returned it.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I had what they were shipping about a year ago! The scopes resolution and magnification were fine.

What's not right is that large MINOX name as shown. That's why I returned it.

[Linked Image]

DId you not see that big Minox name on the scope before you bought it? I am interested in the new SA HD myself.

IC B2

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As per Doug the new HD ZA5 is VERY good. As in better than the Conquest. I really like the Conquest optically so we'll see... For $450 for a 3-15 side focus it would be a steal if as good as the Conquest.......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Daveh
As per Doug the new HD ZA5 is VERY good. As in better than the Conquest. I really like the Conquest optically so we'll see... For $450 for a 3-15 side focus it would be a steal if as good as the Conquest.......

"as good" based on what? Lots more to a scope than good optics, if that's what he's referring to. How do they compare out in the field......? I personally wouldn't want to be the guinea pig on the unproven vs proven exercise.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't mind as it won't go on a primary rifle. Somebody has too and I trust me more than anyone else...

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I love both my 3-15x50 sf zA5. I don't mind the Minox on the side of the scope and I don't think the game I shoot with them mind either. I'm mostly concerned with what I see when I look in the eyebox. I would like to see what they improved on with the HD models.

Last edited by jayman1975; 04/27/14.
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Minox ZA5 HD 3-15x42 mini-review

These are my opinions and thoughts about what is important to me. Living in WA and with a family and other responsibilities I don�t hunt much but shoot at least twice a month. I like the subject of optics and like good glass�

These are truly my first initial impressions (15minutes this morning) and I�ll have more later but don�t expect a full blown thesis�

I have several other scopes I have and will compare it too -
Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 (19.7 oz.)
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 (17.7 oz.)
Weaver Super Slam 3-15-x42 (20 oz.)

First off the scope is light and compact. On my digital Postal scale it weighs 16.7 oz. All good there!
The plex reticle is a very good hunting reticle, in other words - heavier than most these days�Simmons always had a good plex reticle and this is similar. IMO it�s perfect.
The reticle focused easily with the fast focus style ocular.
Side focus worked as it should although I would prefer more resistance, probably ok.

Eye relief is very good and is very good on all four scopes I had out this AM. Truly all are similar views with the Zeiss being hard to compare as it seems to magnify the image more than others.

To me with the very short time this morning the image of the Minox seems very comparable to the Weaver. Not a bad thing and going by memory the new HD model is improved over the previous ZA5.

One thing I confirmed and had believed is the Zeiss 4.5-14 �seems� like is off by about 2x. More like a 6-18. To get the Minox image the same size as the Zeiss I had to crank up the Minox about 2-3X. 6x on the Zeiss was more like 8x on the Minox.

More to come�..

Dave

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Interested in hearing more...you own some good "competition" for the minox! How does the turret work and feel click wise? On my minox the turret doesn't move up as you dial out...so you have absolutely no way of knowing how many revolutions you've made.

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One negative I forgot this AM. The eye box at 15x seems more finicky than the others.
The turrets are very much like the std turret on my VXIII 4.5-14 LR in appearance and feel.

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ok. Spent a few more minutes with the Bushnell, Weaver SS and Minox.

Today I placed them all on a platform side by side focused on a morning dove about 100yds away on a power wire and then on a hillside about 1200yds away. The hillside had a hiker and a dog on it that got viewed�.

Yesterday I mentioned I thought the Minox eye box at 15X was finicky. I retract that. It�s seems similar.

To me the Minox and Bushnell are just a tick sharper than the SS and the Minox may be just a tick brighter than the other two.

The Minox turrets are very much similar to a standard Leupold VXIII in feel and appearance.

There really isn�t a nickels difference in FOV, eye relief, eye box, contrast or brightness.

The Minox has a superior duplex for big game hunting and it�s 3-4 oz lighter.

For full disclosure this sample has a tight spot in the ocular adjustment and the reticle has a small defect (like a small hair hanging off) about 1/3 from edge on the left horizontal wire. Neither of these is a huge deal given it was demo and $150 less than MSRP I don�t think of them as deal breakers.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
thanks for the report.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Spent a few more minutes this morning with the Minox and the Zeiss 4.5-14x44.
Minox is lighter (1.5 oz), shorter and has better eye relief.
Conquest may have ever so slightly better contrast and has a wider FOV. Minox may be sacrificing FOV for eye relief.

That's about it. I would like buy a 4-12x50 Z3 with BRH for another comparison, we'll see....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Daveh,

Thanks for taking time to post your findings. I love this kind of info.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.