Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by eh76
You can in Wyoming. I have seen several people pull campers and then a boat or ATV trailer.

I can see it working well in some places, but given the nature of the country roads over here, I don't think it would be too practical.

I've been following the thread with interest as I want to do more "out door living" this year..
And I don't just mean camping, but also taking off after work, and spending an evening cooking and chilling in front of a campfire. I am lucky to live near some beautiful countryside, but like many Brits, I'm guilty of not using it enough..

You are NOT the only one guilty of not using it enough. We all get trapped into "things needing to be done" I think. I am fortunate in that I can park my trailer on a friend's ranch and leave it set up for extended periods of time. When I am not there continuously I take down my outside shelter and just move my basic cooking inside and grill outside.

Last edited by eh76; 04/24/14.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You are the only one guilty of not using it enough. We all get trapped into "things needing to be done" I think. I am fortunate in that I can park my trailer on a friend's ranch and leave it set up for extended periods of time. When I am not there continuously I take down my outside shelter and just move my basic cooking inside and grill outside.

I would add that I think our generally crap weather does not help..

While in RSA, one of the simple things I loved was to be able eat regularly eat breakfast out on the patio..over here its probably too cold for that 8 months a year and even in the summer you still have have the rain to contend with..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You are NOT the only one guilty of not using it enough. We all get trapped into "things needing to be done" I think. I am fortunate in that I can park my trailer on a friend's ranch and leave it set up for extended periods of time. When I am not there continuously I take down my outside shelter and just move my basic cooking inside and grill outside.

I would add that I think our generally crap weather does not help..

While in RSA, one of the simple things I loved was to be able eat regularly eat breakfast out on the patio..over here its probably too cold for that 8 months a year and even in the summer you still have have the rain to contend with..

Sorry I had to edit my post..my brain was working faster than my fingers.... eek

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you guys allowed to tow a second trailer behind the first? Its not something you see over here in the UK, but I've such set-ups several times in the more rural parts of South Africa..

You can in Mn, but the first has to be a fifth wheel with king pin, second one "recreational trailer"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fifth Wheelers are about as common as honest politian's over here, but strangely enough I saw one yesterday..Again, I suspect the vehicle and trailers you guys drive would not be practical on our small back country roads, but still love to see what you guys, the Australians and South Africans use for your hunting and camping trips..

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll bet you get a bit more rain than we do..edited my post above no offense intended.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll bet you get a bit more rain than we do..edited my post above no offense intended.

Absolutely no offence taken at any of your posts my friend, typos or not!

BTW, tell us a little more about that military shelter..Is it a wall tent of some sort?

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fair weather camp kitchen. Foul weather, use the interior setup.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Absolutely no offence taken at any of your posts my friend, typos or not!

BTW, tell us a little more about that military shelter..Is it a wall tent of some sort?

Regards,

Peter

It is a surplus officers tent. It has 4 sides, interior sides, floor, stove, LED lighting and vestubile/awning to go with is. It will fill a my F250 Ford truck bed with the 3 large bags that store it.

Interior of the trailer...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by eh76; 04/24/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread brings back some memories. On some of the leases we had in Scotland, we'd buy a cheap at the end of its life caravan
(trailer) and set it up as a semi-permanent "camp".

We'd usually spend some time curing leaks, doing repairs and modifications before taking it up, but once in the woods, it was generally left in position.

These were caravans we might pay $150 for "scrap value" so to speak. It was not worth paying more as there was always a risk some scrote would break in and trash it.

Over the years we got lucky and apart from the odd break in, we suffered no serious damage apart from a forced lock. When we left one lease, we sold the caravan to some bird shooters who were also on the ground, and we heard that within a month they had found it trashed so I guess we have been lucky..

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a nice set up Keith.
My old hunting partner (now deceased) had a Cargo trailer he converted to a camper.
In my mind it was allot more rugged, and after some mods, every bit as comfortable as a camp trailer for a whole lot less money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
My old hunting partner (now deceased) had a Cargo trailer he converted to a camper.
In my mind it was allot more rugged, and after some mods, every bit as comfortable as a camp trailer for a whole lot less money.

In the past, one or two folks on here have posted pics of horses trailers converted in a similar way. I am guessing they would also be more rugged..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

mercy triumphs over judgement
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm a fair weather camper and I don't hunt big game any more (unless you consider shooting the occasional meat Deer from my porch hunting) so I try to keep things as simple and light weight as possible.
Portable table and an old Coleman two burner although I have been thinking about upgrading to a stove with a grill.
The wand to run both stove and lantern on one bulk tank is a must.

[Linked Image]

great dog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LostArra
I'm a fair weather camper and I don't hunt big game any more (unless you consider shooting the occasional meat Deer from my porch hunting) so I try to keep things as simple and lightweight as possible.
Portable table and an old Coleman two burner although I have been thinking about upgrading to a stove with a grill.
The wand to run both stove and lantern on one bulk tank is a must.

[Linked Image]

great dog

When she's awake;)
She debunks everything that's ever been said or printed about GSP's being hyper.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (257robertsimp, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 14 invisible), 1,140 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,236
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.