Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by hwgtyd
Thanks for the advice so far. I was leaning toward an 18" Grendel barrel, but haven't found a lot of options. Which maker do you guys/gals recommend?
Thanks

I bought a 20" shilen, only thing I don't like is its pretty beefy under the handguard, it steps up twice behind the gas block. it would be awesome if it just stepped up once and stayed like that all the way to the shank

Thats the fault of competitive shooters. We desire weight. Its a good thing for us.

Finding top line barrel quality with light hunting barrels has always been tough in the AR lineup unless you go custom.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
anyone ever use a Wilson Barrel?

We used Wilson, not Wilson combat, but whatever the wilson that RRA types sell, CLE, White Oak etc... as our practice tubes. Generally a .75 moa or better tube typically with the right ammo and I"ve been beaten by Wilson tubes.... I"d align them with douglas type quality, though my experience with douglas has been worse than .75 moa typically... but from what I hear they should be right in line with an average douglas

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hillbill mentioned it, this --> AR15performace 16" 6.8 ARP Scout. They have taken the SPCII chamber and made a few enhancements along with 5R 11.25 rifling for better accuracy and velocity. AR15Performance sells barrels directly as well as several other venders. I bought mine with a standard mil-spec bolt head spaced to the barrel from stutts tac. Would have liked the super bolt but no one has them in stock. I don't plan on hotrodding it so the mil-spec bolt will suit me fine.

The Grendel is good too but really needs a 20" tube to have any real advantage over the 6.8 .

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Pitfalls? -Make sure the gas port lines up when setting your gas block...

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ruger280
Hillbill mentioned it, this --> AR15performace 16" 6.8 ARP Scout. They have taken the SPCII chamber and made a few enhancements along with 5R 11.25 rifling for better accuracy and velocity. AR15Performance sells barrels directly as well as several other venders. I bought mine with a standard mil-spec bolt head spaced to the barrel from stutts tac. Would have liked the super bolt but no one has them in stock. I don't plan on hotrodding it so the mil-spec bolt will suit me fine.

The Grendel is good too but really needs a 20" tube to have any real advantage over the 6.8 .

I see no need for a super bolt... I've run higher than factory pressures in a LOT of ARs over many years and I've never had an issue with a standard bolt.

Over those years we've shot with SO many folks even out to Camp Perry most years and in that time I"ve seen exactly one bolt fail that was a colt bolt in a state match at Camp Swift Texas on a National Guard gun.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.