Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have never had any luck with the golden bullets or the thunderbolts.

The one Remington 22 Long Rifle load that I have had luck with was/is the YellowJackets.

They usually don't display the accuracy of the Mini Mag, but they kill stuff really good.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Just shot about 100 of new man. golden hollowpoints.. All fired excellent accuracy, and kills ground squirrels great.. Never shot many thunderbolts.. for my bolt guns the goldens work fine.. My shoot pal has had excellent success with all of his rifles and golden bullets..
Haven't shot them in my 10/22 as I seldom use it for much.. Will give them a try later next week..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
When I was kid (the 1960's and 70's), Remington was the best ammo around. I still remember the wooden case with glass door that would sit on the check out counter at the hardware stores....

Regards,

Tom
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had terrible luck with Remington rimfire in the past. Frequent duds (in guns that don't misfire with any other brands), low-powered rounds, extreme flyers, etc. To the point that I generally avoided buying Remington 22LR regardless of the price.
Due to the ongoing shortage I found myself in possession of a 500ct box of Thunderbolts recently. It was what was available and beggers can't be choosers.
I tried them first in my Ciener 1911 conversion. All fired and functioned reliably and accuracy was reasonable at pistol distances. Next an accuracy test with a very accurate Remington 582. This gun normally shoots 10 shot groups into .75 at 50 yards with other ammo-and it's not picky.
I was checking for flyers so I shot 50 rounds at a 2inch spot at 50 yards. 48 were within the spot with 2 flyers-1 about 3 inches high and the other the same amount low. Clearly ammo-induced flyers as I also recalled 2 shots that sounded 'different'. All fired the first time though which was an improvement over my past experience.
Next I test a Winchester 77 with open sights that is normally fairly accurate and reliable as well. Again all fired the first time. Plinking accuracy with open sights was decent (2 inch 10 shot groups at 50 yards with the occasional flyer). Reliability was not great with about 1 of 10 stove-piping. I am not able to completely rule out the rifle though.
Overall I would still prefer Winchester or CCI when available but it does look like Remington may be making some improvement in this area.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
My ammo of choice for shooting game or varmints is CCI HPTS..No doubt.. I have also had good luck with WW Power Points, but in this area they are difficult to find even in good times.. I also shoot lots of varmints with Stingers and Yellowjackets.. Fed. ammo is for plinking with my pistols.. When I bought this last batch of ammo in Dec. That is what I had in mind I would do with it.. But with the comments on Rem. ammo I decided I would give it a try.. As I said it has been very good for the uses I put it too.. I put 5 shots in a dime the other eve. after putting a new scope on the CZ.. Nothing great, but considering the heavy winds, and the fact I was shooting out the window of my truck with an elbow on the steering wheel and a rest on the mirror it wasn't bad..
I don't feel it is the greatest stuff around, but this spring I could easily do all my gopher shooting with it and never miss out.. As far as underpowered loads, I always wear muffs due to very poor hearing, so that could occur.. But I never noticed any stray shots..
As I said, I only have one autoloader for .22 rifles a 10/22 with a fairly heavy barrel.. It seems accurate, but I haven't put 200 rounds though it so can't say.. As spring goes along, I will give it a try with the Rem. ammo and see what happens..

Molon Labe
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have used Remington golden bullets for years in many - MANY different BA .22 rifles and my S&W 8 3/8th inch barreled revolver - and now use them in a Ruger "tactical" 10/22 and a pair of Ruger .22/45 pistols.

I had ONE jam several years ago - the nose of the bullet slammed into the feed ramp - but that is all I can report.

Terry

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Get a bolt gun and keep it clean-Muddy

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Muddy, that's good advice. One of my .22s is a bolt gun, however, and it won't fire the duds either.

All 4 of my .22s make nice, sharp firing pin strikes (and thus are clean enough to function properly) and none will fire the GB duds. If the first one I try a cartridge in won't fire it, none of them will.

I haven't tried GBs in a CZ, because my CZ is a .17. I would feel pretty safe doing it with a round that had ftf in my .22 rifles and pistols though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

The one Remington 22 Long Rifle load that I have had luck with was/is the YellowJackets.

They usually don't display the accuracy of the Mini Mag, but they kill stuff really good.

^^^This^^^
I shoot mostly Stingers & CCI Mini-Mags. WW Powerpoints never give me any problems, either. I don't waste my money on the cheap Remington Bulk Golden Bullets. It's a PITA

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/24/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The only .22 rimfire I have at the moment is a Remington 541-T.

It seems to digest everything and I've never had a mis-feed or mis-fire with any type of ammo.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jocko, I mostly use an old Rem 580 SS and it always works, no matter whose ammo or how much I shoot. I keep the bolt and chamber clean but very seldom clean the barrel (old small bore shooter habit). Also Folks DON"T try to refire your "duds". I have had the rims rupture at the old firing pin strike, it gets your attention right away and might just harm that pretty 10-22. Muddy

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
They work great in my new 10/22, but my ruger 22/45 lite thats another story! Every other round is a misfeed! Everything else I've shot in it works perfect. Even after magazine safety and loaded chamber indicator delete, still has a problem with the golden bullet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Exactly what I was thinking and have experienced. When you say "stuff", I highly concur wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,190
Posts18,465,790
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.