-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
in the past 2-3 weeks. They're not hitting the feeders hard at all. Reckon they're still migrating north? I see one or two every evening but a month ago I'd see 6-8 buzzing around the feeders.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure what is the problem but I am seeing less birds so far this year.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What is a hummingbird? A big bumble bee?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have 6 to 8 steady feeders. Watching 4 right now.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We surely don't have as many as we usually do at this time of year. Not as many migrating warblers, either, but then we are still in an awful drought. We do have a couple of pairs of Bullock's Orioles, though, and they are hitting the hummingbird feeder pretty hard.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mick, I just looked out and there were five sitting and eating at one time, on one feeder and I have two out. Seems I am blessed with them. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have blue jays and crows...

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
They have been trickling in at the feeder on the front porch. The black-chinned hummers showed up about 3 weeks ago and the broad-tails followed a week later.

I saw this "lifer" bird last weekend in the Gila:

Red Faced Warbler (picture source: planetofbirds.com)
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Went north early....and froze their azzes off!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by milespatton
Mick, I just looked out and there were five sitting and eating at one time, on one feeder and I have two out. Seems I am blessed with them. miles

About the same here Miles. Eating and fighting all day. Spent weekend with my old school chum. Bout 60 miles west of me. He has more birds there than we do!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mickey,

I think they are still holding to the south of us. We have had some, but not the usual numbers.

Barbara and I have been privileged to have seen two different pairs of Ruby Throated Hummingbirds mating this spring. It is an incredible sight.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barbara and I have been privileged to have seen two different pairs of Ruby Throated Hummingbirds mating this spring.

As many birds as I usually have, I have never seen that. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
This is a very cool migration map. It's updated constantly. Very interesting to watch how they move as the weather changes....

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had feeders out for a while, and the liquid level is slowly decreasing, but I haven't seen or heard a bird yet. Right about now is when I usually see the first ones, so I'm not overly concerned yet.

Just eager.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Have yet to get that "in my face buzzing" proclaiming we are here!!! Where's the food?

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barbara and I have been privileged to have seen two different pairs of Ruby Throated Hummingbirds mating this spring. It is an incredible sight.

Casual hook-ups, nothing more, hummingbird males are universally deadbeat dads who love 'em and leave 'em. The females may complain about all that, but every year without fail they succumb to the bling grin

As for the hummingbird movements coming back, remember there are literally millions returning. If each one could be projected as a single red dot on a map of North America they would shift incrementally north each day; shifting this way and that in response to crosswinds, piling up against cold fronts and weather systems, but getting strung out north again with the arrival of tailwinds.

Sometime a single location will have a bunch of 'em, other times not so many.

To get an idea of the complexity off all this, check out the birdcast website....

http://birdcast.info/forecast/regional-migration-forecast-18-25-april-2014/

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I put one of my feeders out last weekend. Nothing yet. frown

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's subscriber website "Birds of North America" re: Ruby-throat spring migration.....

Males begin arriving along the Alabama Gulf Coast in late February, preceding females by 8�10days; birds still fairly common in Palo Verde, Costa Rica, as late as 14 March. Peak migration on the Gulf Coast (sw. Louisiana) in the second half of April, with males preceding females by about 3 days.

Males arrive at Powdermill Nature Reserve (Rector, PA) late April; females arrive about 2 weeks later. Males arrive in Vermont during first week of May. In Ohio, arrival dates range from 25 Apr to 2 May in s. Ohio and from 5 to 12 May along Lake Erie. Both sexes present in New Brunswick, Canada, by mid-May.

Peak northward movement (unlike in the fall) is not in synchrony with peak flowering of any particular plant species. Arrival on northern breeding grounds may depend on earlier arrival of Yellow-bellied Sapsucker to guarantee availability of sap in absence of reliable nectar production.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nothing up here, but we were still doing the snow fall thing this AM.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.