Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Need to get my wife a new pair of hunting pants. It will be for some cold and wet conditions. Late Oct and November hunting in North Idaho. Needs to be water proof, warm, and QUIET.

I see there are not that many manufacturers of women specific clothing. What are your women wearing? And how do they like it, and how is it holding up?

GB1

J
J
My daughters wear wool over poly.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The only time it was cold and wet the wife wore my outfit from HYCREEK. She wasn't out long and was perfectly comfortable.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Snake River Marksman; 04/24/14.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
get her a snowmobile suit, bib's, or over all's,and all colors and they make them for ladies, they are warm and water proof,i guide 2 ladies every year that are in their 70's, when its cold and wet thats what they wear. and they get along better than i do.rio7

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I'd second the snowmobile suit. Just works.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem with snowmobile suits is that they are very noisy. As well, they are either on or off, and a person can very quickly become too hot or too cold.

My lovely wife of 47 years wears wool layers over either fleece or merino wool underwear, and is warm all day when hunting bison at -30C.

Ted

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I can't even imagine that cold

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I was kinda thinking wool with some good base layers. Has anybody had experience with the brand PROIS? Looks like good stuff but spendy.

Also, who make woolies cut for women?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My wife wears the same type of clothing I wear in cold/wet conditions. First layer (or 2) merino wool or poly, second layer SportHill xc ski tops and bottoms (3SP fabric), with more layers of fleece/wool over the top as needed. I like to have wool as the outside layer and vary the layers under it to match the conditions. My wife has been able to wear the same type of wool pants that I wear- 6 pocket woolies by Codet or Big Bill which I have found at fleet and farm type stores. I actually have several sizes for each of us to fit over varying numbers of layers.

I have young daughters that have needed to have similar outfits to tag along on hunts. XC skiing is a big part of our life, so we have the SportHill tops and bottoms as well as good longies and fleece for the kids. I found military surplus (German) wool pants for the kids at a local surplus store at a reasonable price.

The SportHill material is breathable, but quite windproof and warm. Combined with fleece and wool, this has proven to be a great system for me and my family.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for all the replies. Birdhog I will have to check out some of that Sporthill stuff.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My wife says her Patagonia alpine climbing pants are her all time favorites. Layer as necessary and add Goretex for rain/wet snow. Patagonia has an entire women's line and most of it is high quality. A warm and dry wife is a happy wife.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker
My wife says her Patagonia alpine climbing pants are her all time favorites. Layer as necessary and add Goretex for rain/wet snow. Patagonia has an entire women's line and most of it is high quality. A warm and dry wife is a happy wife.

mike r

Is it Quiet?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
bigswede358, the pants are, her not so much. She can move quietly but gets excited when she spots a critter. The upside is that she is amazing at spotting stuff and never notices when I put stuff in her pack.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Thanks for all the replies. Birdhog I will have to check out some of that Sporthill stuff.

Bigswede- The SportHill stuff is not cheap. But, with wool pants over the top, she will be warm and quiet in the woods. Even if she gets wet, this combo is warm and quiet.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mine wears the same as I do, army surplus. Not really waterproof though, we carry good light weight raingear to cover if it gets wet. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by lvmiker
bigswede358, the pants are, her not so much. She can move quietly but gets excited when she spots a critter. The upside is that she is amazing at spotting stuff and never notices when I put stuff in her pack.

mike r

Damn -if I was 40 years younger/less married, I'd ask if she had a sister..... smile

My wife is hell on Helly Hanson- or any other rain gear. She is convinced the only way down a steep, wet slope is on her butt.. She's been expensive in mountain terrain.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by las

My wife is hell on Helly Hanson- or any other rain gear. She is convinced the only way down a steep, wet slope is on her butt.. She's been expensive in mountain terrain.

Must be a woman thing. My wife and daughter are always on there rear ends going down hill.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Like me, my wife is a true believer in merino wool base layers. Comfortable, warm, and unlike synthetics, wearable for several days without becoming too smelly. Icebreaker is one good brand. Put over that a soft but tough polyester knit pant and she'll be ready for active hunting in all but very wet conditions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my wife is a fair weather hunter, if it is cold I bring along a wool blanket for her to wrap up in when we get on stand. she has regular cold weather gear for winter, no sense in buying extra stuff just for hunting.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
women going down hill on their fannies must be compensation for being top heavy.
Big don't forget good waterproof foot ware. the rest of me can be wet but if my feet get cold I'm finished. best boots I've had in years are Danners with 400 gram thinsolate.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,889 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.