Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
Opening fishing there usually is a big Smelt fry in Crivitz.Them suckers are like eating popcorn.They are easy to clean.just slit the belly and pull the guts out with a finger.Don`t need to take the head off.A bucket of those fried up and a pitcher of beer to wash them down with its better than your first orgasm!!!

I used scissors to snip the head off and up the belly. Ran my thumb through to push out the guts and done.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to dip for them near Tawas at the singing bridge. Only really got into them one time out of years of trying. The runs of yesteryear are largely gone now due to over harvesting and other factors.

Leaky waders, Coleman lanterns and sick days are old smelt dipping tradition. Biting the head off the first smelt of the season is as old a tradition as is rinsing the taste out your mouth with a lake temperature beer.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Funny you should post this right now. A friend who lives in iowa who I talk to every few weeks calls me yesterday and asked me if I had ever had smelt. A friend of his who I have met, hell of a guy by the way a southern gentleman whom was born in Wisconsin by accident lol, fryed a butt load of smelt and served it with rye bread and onion. My buddy knobby said it was kinda fishy tasting but with the rye bread and onion it was great. I gotta say I would like to try it. I tried pickled herring when visiting up there and lets just say I will stick to southern style deep fried crappie with fried taters and corn bread.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Funny you should post this right now. A friend who lives in iowa who I talk to every few weeks calls me yesterday and asked me if I had ever had smelt. A friend of his who I have met, hell of a guy by the way a southern gentleman whom was born in Wisconsin by accident lol, fryed a butt load of smelt and served it with rye bread and onion. My buddy knobby said it was kinda fishy tasting but with the rye bread and onion it was great. I gotta say I would like to try it. I tried pickled herring when visiting up there and lets just say I will stick to southern style deep fried crappie with fried taters and corn bread.

so you don't want to try lutefisk the I take it? laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We dipped out of the St Clair river. If the run was early we dodged ice flows. I never see anyone dipping anymore.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many times I have seen hooligan here so thick you could just stick a hand into the river and grab a bunch of them. It has not gotten any worse... A net will produce a 5-gallon bucket with every pass when the run is strong. And they run at least twice the size of the MI smelt I remember

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Smelt numbers have plummetet on the bay of Green Bay, and shore dipping and seining on the shores of Lake Michigan is nothing like its hay days.
Smelt are not native to the Great Lakes(and neither are alewife) but both have up and down cycles and both are greatly affected by our salmon populations.
That said, smelt are still taken in the deeper waters commercially , they still taste great and are cheap. Back in the day....what a party! Seining at Sugar Creek and Stoney Creek on the lake side were great times, roaring fires, tons of beer, girls loved to come and share the fire, beer, ahem ,snuggling.
Turkey fryers in concept hadn t reached these parts back then, but we deep fried them in beer batter(eggs-beer-Heni Penny peppered flour), awesome.

1/504 PIR
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I started smelt fishing in 1967. Put a galvanized stock tank in back of 1/2 ton pick-up--fill it up with grain-belt beer and ice. Drive up to University of Minn pick-up a bunch of guys and head to the north shore of Lake Superior between Duluth and Two Harbors.
Almost made enough money to pay for the beer.

1990--price hit 60 cents a pound--dipped 45,000 lbs
2002--took 66,000 lbs--price was 20 cents lb

We still get a good run here on Lake Nipigon but an ice cream pail is enough for a feed and a 5 gallon pail for pike bait.
If it warms up they may run in a month or so.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
So is this how you guys do it....typically..?

Yep, just like that.

When I was a little kid I remember sitting at the table, the whole family with little knives just going to town quickly cleaning bushels of smelt for the fire hall smelt fry, and also to put up in the freezer for ourselves.

It's way too early for us here in MN.

Hell, I'm not so sure we're done MAKING ice yet, not sure if the thaw will ever come.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Used to dip for them on Nuns creek in da up. Eating out every meal, staying up all night dippin' for the smelt, playin' in the creek by day, sleeping under the stars with no tent, good times.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I remember a trip to Door County Wi. back in the 70's. A bunch of us were going to near the tip of the Peninsula hoping for trout or salmon. Our nets were huge; capable of handling 20-30 pound salmon. Crossed a bridge and needed a pee break. Someone shined a flashlight into the creek and all we saw were black backs and silvery flashes. Think we did 3 or 4 dips with the nets we had and filled a couple 50-55 quart coolers. Slept under cedar trees that night, fished the lake and bays in the morning. No trout or salmon, but a buttload of smelt. Stopped at a couple bars when back home to round up cleaners and cleaned and partied all night long and had smelt for breakfast and many meals to come.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have not eaten Smelt's since the mid 1960's my father loved to eat them. This makes me think I should make a trip out to WI just for it. The older I get the more I wish to relive my youth. Opening day of fishing season saw me on the same rock in the same pool were I caught my very first trout, Some 53 years ago, The pool and river had not changed much, In many ways I am still that little boy at heart. I even fished with an Old Fenwick Glass Fly rod, with a Pflugger Medalist reel - Not the rod I had for the first one, but I got this one three years latter.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We did real well on the Cowlitz this year
[Linked Image]
It had been a few years for me and I had forgot how much I like these little guys.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I love those fishy little morsels...dippin off shore is long gone, but they are widely available in Great Lakes area restaurants this time of year, and fish markets...deep fried in a dusting of seasoned flour, they are crispy on the outside and mushy on the inside with a distinct fishy flavor, drench in lemon juice and slather in tartar...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
When we lived in the U.P., dad used to get them by the bucket full on the Escanaba near the dam. Literally one dip would fill a bucket when the run was on. He and his buddy filled the back of a pick- up with buckets one night. He was up cleaning fish all night until he had to go to work in the am. Used Ma's sewing shears. We ate what we could and he gave the rest away. It was the last time we had smelt - don't know if it was his or her idea to quit or both, but it ended right there.
I know guys used to dip the Rapid River up in Little Bay De Noc. Smelting is a big social event. Good eats, and a few cold adult beverages. What more could a man ask for?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What more could a man ask for?

nuthin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.