Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mornin' Gents (and Ladies)...

Been nursing / getting over an eye injury, and trying to put / keep this little Farming venture on it's rails,.....that, and a bit of other nonsense currently going down have seen me reticent to post much of anything outside of a bit of prerequisite troll smashing.

Mack's dad and I have had a running dialogue that I'd not trade for all the tea in China. He's one of the more authentic North Woods Men that I've had the honor to speak with, and I look forward to meeting him in person, some when. Understatement and a
fine,dry wit always leave me smiling after a conversation with him.

The wood's one of George ( Treebone Carving) Peterson's excellent blanks,....and it was FUNNY, trying to keep it wet enought to get a half decent pic,......ambient was about 110*F,....and a thirty MPH gale, at 0 humidity. It is going to finish ot well, as has everything I've ever gotten from George.

Front sight,....I dunno, but am thinking along he lines of an "Armored Beech",.....something with "Ears" protecting it for work the thick stuff.

Will own up to being a bit concerned about how SHALLOW the grooves are in this Getz barrel,.....and am going to shoot in "in the white" with sights lashed up, before going into finishing mode.

Ya'll have a great weekend !

Greg

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Glad to see you chime back in, Greg. Hope the eye thing is healing properly.

Can't wait to see the shooting results.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So we have gotten another step farther along in the build. The stock is being inlet now. Here are some pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Looking good!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ed,

I agree Greg does some amazing things with metal and wood.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well progress has been made and lots of pics to share.

Stock inletting and fitting:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Mocking up different sights:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Redfield Rear Sight is the one chosen. Here it is on the rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Picture of the created mount:

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Getz Barrel being tapered:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sight all the way elevated:

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Front Sight mock up and fitting:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Cont:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I want to thank Greg for all the hard work and the great pictures of the build as it progresses. I love it and know my father does too.

Jim Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks Jim, for posting this,...

You and your Pop have seen the back story on the pieces and parts,...I'm just going to post that as written,...

....and every piece has a story, to boot !

I really LIKE barrel band sights but man, are they ever time consuming to build. The massive bore sizes look kinda [bleep] without em', and yet I did not want to go overboard here.
.....went digging through my plunder and came up with the parts and pieces needed to spool up a fine "2 piece" unit,.....although by the time I either TIG weld it or Silver Solder the pieces it WILL be a one piece part.
The "band" was turned off a chunk of .43 Spanish Barrel (circa 1880s) that was taken off a really decrepit old cut down Remington Roller that had the "machete V" in the buttstock,....so it probably rode with Pancho Villa's outfit. I got the rifle from a fellow who'd bribed it outta' Mexico, in any event. Nice Nickle steel in those old pelters, it machines well.

The Ramp was de-soldered / came off of an old Remington 721 in 30-06 That I bought for the action only, at Cashway's Pawn in Tucson, back in 1996 or '97. It had come out of a Police Auction, and apparently had been used in some sorta' crime in Nogales.

Yes, there is a gap between the Ramp and the barrel,...No, it won't be there when finished,...I've taken it as far as I want to go with the machine tools, and will hand file a mortise into the band so they dovetail together in good alignment. As noted, I haven't decided whether to TIG weld em' together, or go with High Temp Silver,....but am leaning toward the TIG

...I kinda' like the 3/8 dovetail in the ramp, it's a COMMON size, and easy to find in any variety of heights and bead styles.

PLEASE let me know if this front sight works for you.

All the best,

Greg

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/23/14.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Almost forgot,...
Semper BLUE TAPE !

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Phew,...to many close ups,...here's a shot of the horribly depressing, and disorganized sweat shop where alla' this transpires.

If I was a real "Arizonan" whistle I'm sure things would go a lot smoother.

GTC

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Obvious that you don't have enough to do Greg. I'm gonna go find another roller project for ya. laugh

Nice work there.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, my call out that this action was probably for a .43 Spanish was WAY off,...more like one of the larger based cartridges. The Extractor told that tale, and I'd really not looked at it closely 'til now

[Linked Image]

Well, we'll have to make that one work, I guess. Fairly good sized excavations of the barrel shank ensue,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One or two little "dabs" at a time is about all one can deposit in this old nickle steel, and than things go muddy. One has to stop and clean things up in the bead blaster. Used that 3.5 Nickle from Brownells, a 3/32 Lanthanated tungsten with a pure argon shield.

[Linked Image]

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In and out of the mill,... massaged into rough form, than spotted into the recess with some judicious hand filing. The recess sees just a bit of adjustment,but with the beefy new "hook" getting the lion's share of fitment.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wouldn't you know it, right there in the face of the thing there's a little porosity / asperity. No biggie, another "dab" of the nickle rod will be required (once this weather breaks).

A cut away cartridge case is used to lay out the outer rim recess radius

[Linked Image]

That radius is than cut to JUST barely below the level of the rim recess in the barrel shank / chamber.

[Linked Image]

Yup, a little bit of weld repair, and final polishing and this extractor's back in business.

[Linked Image]

At this point an old badly oversized case was hammered into the chamber, and the actuating tail of the extractor belabored with a copper punch, driven by a fairly good sized hammer. Looks good, and it will never see that amount of force again in normal service.

[img]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x59/sharpsrifle/DSC_0060_zps15a18d39.jpg[/img]

time to go see why my well pressure switch froze last night,....looks like the brooder lamp bulb may need a replacement.

Cheers !

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 01/03/15.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.