Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm really getting to like those.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IME, Shooting with a tight sling will drop POI anywhere from 1" to 3+" at 100 yds. with free floated bbl rifles. (Stock rigidity plays a part in this. So does the amount of tension you use.)

Not surprised that your unslung shots went high. So do mine when I've dialed in using in using a sling.

True shooting slings are good tools in the field.

Quicker, require less movement and can be used in any shooting position. Plus, they add no weight or ruin your rifles balance.

You gotta have one anyway, why not use one that does more than just carry your rifle.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking forward to Spring Bear season!

Flave, Greg - I've played with bipods, but never while hunting big game. You guys leave them in your packs, or attached to your rifles while hunting?

Moose - the pack is a monster. A hair smaller would have been perfect but it cinches down well and I don't worry about bringing bulky clothing or gear... it helps fill it out. It works well. My plan was to add the smaller HighCamp pack if the bigger didn't work well for dayhunts. So far, so good (hunted deer and elk last year with it). I just noticed that Patrick Smith has an article on using packs as a shooting aid. I've always gone to the pack for prone shooting, but never thought of it as the shooting tool that it really is. Makes me re-think my pack needs to include shooting, not just carrying stuff...

Dogshooter, Bob, bigwhoop, JohnM - I know Brad and some others have mentioned that the 84M needs some fore-end control. This rifle definitely needs it too, at least with me shooting it. Not much recoil but it jumps. In contrast, I had a couple T3 rifles in 300 Win, and one in 300 WSM that I could basically let free recoil with no fore-end control. They were easy to shoot, except the recoil after a handful of rounds from prone crazy

I've had the 7-08 Montucky since last summer and have shot it a bunch. Prone with rests, bags, and pack. I experimented with the sling a little bit but most of my shooting has been with a firm grip. If I do my part, I can hit that 8" target on a regular basis. 3-for-3 is always my goal and what I expect. I've done it numerous times, but not every time.

Maybe I need to start shooting at a manhole cover?! Some of the benchrest dudes say an 8" steel is too big. Others say a little bit bigger target would be better at 500y. I know some dudes can shoot tiny groups on those big targets, but to me its much more important to hit that 8" steel every time. I don't care where too much, as long as I hit it grin Small groups on that 8" target would be even better though!

A bud just gave us a handful of 12"x12" armor plate. Its the same stuff used to armor .mil vehicles. I'm thankful to have it, but 12" targets seem too dang big for 500y! Hate to cut any down though so I'll probably make a stencil for an 8" center.

David - Leupo 6x42 with LRD reticle, M1 elevation. Shooting was done using the LRD which is the picket for 500y.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
SAS,

I've shot off a cheap rest and off my pack with the same results, but I gotta use that firm grip. Or the sling. I posted some ugly pics of "tight hold" vs "loose grip" in another thread. Those pics were from Dec 2013.

Link to Pics in Thread

Just found some targets I forgot about. Same deal below, "tight hold" vs "loose grip". The 120gr NBT is ~1" high, the 120gr TTSX is ~2". I shoot both to 500y with the same scope zero. The NBT is 100fps faster. The TTSX is my hunting bullet.

I really haven't noticed any pattern with the loose grip. They can go anywhere, I think depending on the type of rest, the angle of the rifle to the target (POA), etc.

If I control the fore-end, either with a firm grip or with the sling, I do much better.

Jason

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I guess it depends on where you hunt, but in 30 years of big game hunting in Colorado, I have only been in one shot situation where I could actually lay down. Too much ground cover. Hell, even in WY where I have hunted the sage was too tall.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
You ain't kidding PG. It'll start growing fast.

Last few weeks I've been looking for new shooting areas in the coastrange. Actually pretty dang hard to find a decent spot where you can shoot from prone. East of the Cascades its dry though.
I've shot the Kimber with my elbows on my knees and with the sticks. Going to test out the tripod too.

My hat's off to the loggers though. They leave stumps at just the right height for shooting grin

Jason

Yeah, but you have to watch for the rattle snakes there (east of the cascades). It's still one of my favorite places to shoot off my pack. Last year's buck at a LRF 648 yards (downhill) with angle comp on. My rifle (Win model 70 7mm rem mag) is a smidge heavier than your Montana though. Probably a little more forgiving as well:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1 hole group at 648 yards last year. Since there's a few here that think you can't shoot in field positions when you are always posting target pics at 100 yards wink. What they don't know won't hurt them I guess:
[Linked Image]

My spot is pretty cool because of the natural rock bench I shoot off of. Cool thread Jason and good luck with your bear hunt..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why do you feel the need to come onto everybody else's threads and brag about your "accomplishments"? There's nothing wrong with simply being happy for the OP, without adding your own BS.

P.S. Making a 648 yard shot on a big game animal is not something to brag about. It just demonstrates that you are a poor hunter.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya.

I'm going to make a simple rifle rest for my spotter tripod to use in those situations where I have time to set it up. Will be able to shoot seated or kneeling. Lost of places where the sage, ferns, grass, etc. are too tall as you stated. Still carry the sticks for quick set-up too.

Jason

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jason knows I am happy for him. I wished him luck on his bear hunt too. SORRY you are pissed I know how to shoot off a pack too. Why don't you go and wash the sand out of your mangina and quit your pissing and moaning wink..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a Stoney Point walking stick with a V on the top. You can collapse it down for seated shots. Works pretty well, and is solid enough.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Jason knows I am happy for him. I wished him luck on his bear hunt too. SORRY you are pissed I know how to shoot off a pack too. Why don't you go and wash the sand out of your mangina and quit your pissing and moaning wink..

Seriously douchebag, there are dozens of threads out there where you felt the need to post groups and generally schit on the OP's performance. But of course if you lead off with a back handed compliment it's ok....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You are are a cry baby. Plain and simple. Don't like my target pics or other pics, don't look. Sorry for hurting your feelers cry. As for the OP, he knows how I feel about him and knows I'm not chitting on his thread. You might want to look in the mirror for that one whistle

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Flave, Greg - I've played with bipods, but never while hunting big game. You guys leave them in your packs, or attached to your rifles while hunting

Jason,

Depends on where or what I'm doing but if I have a heavy hike in, I'll just put the bipod in my pack loose or tie to outside. If it's light outside I'll have it attached to my rifle.

Once I get to where I will glass for extended periods I will attach to the rifle and set up next to where I am glassing.

On a stalk it is already attached so it saves me time. A swiveling bipod has helped me out countless times in the field and I'll have a hard time not being in the field without one even with the added weight. It aids immensely where there is ground cover and proning out is not possible but sitting is. I use my pack as my elbow rest in these situations.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes, you are.

You do it on any thread where somebody posts up a group from a Winchester. You do it on a whole bunch of the reloading threads. You feel some need to brag about your stuff repeatedly and without any thought that maybe, just maybe, nobody gives a flying rat schit.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pretty funny schit.

For starters,BSA is an utterly clueless [bleep] and if she shot twice as often,with twice as many rifles...she'd "know" about half as "much" as Jeff-O or Savage99. The only things she shoots,are her mouth and Imagination and she's a [bleep] Turd Polisher of repute.

A bipod is the last thing I want on a LW Killing Rifle and MPAJ Ruck has no equal for rugged reliability and outright Utility. Master that and you are simply there. Bipods will do weird schit to LW Rifles and that is a given. Prone MPAJ Ruck is The Rock Of Gibraltar,but not always an option,due to both topography and/or vegetation. Though I cain't know anybody,who has more bipods than I. Hint.(grin)

Now on an XP-100(both front and rear gripped) a bipod is what I'd consider a mandate. I very much like 'em on a FF'd AR too...but not on a LW boltgun. Add fill weight and start talking McMillan handles and I'll drive 'em,but none of them rifles are LW's.

LW's are all about MPAJ Ruck and not kissing swivel studs under recoil. Had a coupla Montuckies out past the 1000yd line yesterday,in winds wellllllll beyond sporty and it is well beyond satisfyin',that which can be reliably did CBS. A .625BC scooted to 3100fps+ and steered with a 6x Fixed [bleep],is some dastardly SINISTER Mojo.

Hopefully BSA will feel compelled to open her yap and give things a try and mebbe muse some "particulars". Laffin'! With luck,one just might get a chart outta the deal. Re-laffin'!

My fingers is crossed.

Off to make Blue Thunder famouser,as it done [bleep] poured rain last night,which is the greatest gift of all.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
MPAJ Ruck?

John Stark.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Flave, Greg - I've played with bipods, but never while hunting big game. You guys leave them in your packs, or attached to your rifles while hunting?

I never used to, but I have found myself leaving one on the rifle I'm hunting with more and more these days.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What's the advantage of the M1 over the regular target turrets?

John Stark.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by David_Walter
What's the advantage of the M1 over the regular target turrets?

They can get knocked off of your zero much more easily.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
which can?

John Stark.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.