-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dunno if you have a Cabelas in your area but they handle them.
You may have to order a couple of brands to compare them side-to-side.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Doug @ CLNY has some open box Zen Ray ED3 8x43 for $329 shipped. I'd give him a call and see if he can work a deal for your boy. Those are very good binos.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have reached out to Doug via PM. He helped me with my last scope purchase, so I definitely hope to work with him again on this.

So lets throw this out there. Which of these, in order, with low light and clarity being the most important things, assuming cost is the sameish, all 8 x 40ish:

Meopta Meopro
Zen Ray ED3
Vanguard
Nikon M5
Zeiss Terra

Oh, tell me about Minox's too!

Last edited by catorres1; 04/28/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cant believe no one has jumped on the Super Slams.New ones retail over a grand, yes they are slightly used but bargain priced better built and more rugged than any of the others mentioned in this thread.They are a top of the line bino while all others are bottom or mid level IMHO.

If I hadnt just purchased another Meopta Meostar, I'd jump on Super Slams in a heart beat

Last edited by 338rcm; 04/28/14.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You probably will never assemble all these side by side in a test in low light without a large expenditure and multiple returns, and if someone else did, the results would likely not match your or your sons eyes anyway.
I would either order a pair that tested high in a binoc test, a model recommended multiple times here, or just go to Cabelas like you did and walk out with the pair your son likes the best.
They will work great and you can quit beating yourself up over it.
Plenty of time to upgrade a few years down the road, if need be.

IC B2

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I know how clumsy 11+ years can be. I'd get him a pair of Leopold Yosemite binos at $100ish...and then save up for some great ones when he graduates/hits 18.

I can recommend the legend hd (great bang for the $), and of the ones already mentioned the vanguard endeavors are also very nice.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
On the superslams, I just don't know them, have never seen them nor handled them, nor do I know any place that carries them. Otherwise, I might jump on them.

Got a chance to go to Cabelas and look at more glass tonight. Looked at Vortex Talons, Meopro's, Nikon M5's as a baseline, and Swaro something amazings just for kicks.

Swaro wins everywhere, of course. Otherwise...

The M5's were outclassed when it came to sharpness. Low light, hard to say in Cabelas...we did go to the darkest room, and that is where the sharpness difference really showed once pupils dialated a bit.

The Meopros were the sharpest of the three, they gave the feeling of 'being there'...images were saturated and contrasty and very clear. Very impressed. What I was not so impressed with was the possibility of eyestrain. We both felt it. It could have been any of the three that caused it, but I think it was the Meopros...and the reason might have been that the diopoter adjustment is so easy to knock off. That was a poor design thought on their part.

Also, I think the Talons were maybe a bit better in low light, but not sure, we did not take them to the 'dark room'.

The talons were heavy and large, and had a small field of view vs the Meopro's, but I think they were brighter. Definitely not as sharp, though. However, on the brightness deal, I need to go to real 'low light' as the lights can play tricks.

Minox is still a possibility, but I am hesitant without actually handling them. They may not fit the face or eyes etc...But the BL comfort bridges are under consideration as well.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Here is another vote for Yosemite's in 6X30 or 8X30. They would be less than 100 dollars. They are made for smaller faces so they should fit your son's face well. I love mine and they are bright and clear for 100 dollars. You are buying your son really nice glass for 11 years old. There is nothing wrong with buying your son good stuff especially if you are planning on using it too. If you do spend that much I would be looking at the Meopro's. I want to try out a Meopta rifle scope the next time I buy a nice scope. Just my uneducated opinion. LOL. Good luck.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I actually looked at the Yosemites, but for my younger son for his birthday. Ended up buying the Vortex Raptors for him, as they were on sale for 90some bucks. I did not get to compare them side by side, but locally, the Yosemites were 124, I think. My understanding is these are basically equal, in performance?

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have never looked thru the Vortex Raptors. I love the Yosemite's at that price point. My uneducated guess is that the Vortex would be similar in quality. The Yosemite's should be under 100 on-line and usually you can find free shipping. My Yosemites are bright and clear and they seem to excel for less than 100 dollars. I would think the Meopta and the like at 400 to 500 would be quite a few steps above the Yosemite's.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Yeah, I was pretty impressed with the Meopro's. The sharpness was impressive. I need to check the low light, as it seemed the Talon was better there, but it's hard to tell in a store. The problem with the Meopro's was the diopter adjustment was all wrong. It does not lock and it's right on the focus knob, so it got turned very easily by accident. In addition, one of the two bino's gave us both headaches. It felt like it was probably the Meopro, but who can say which it was. That's why I am loathe to buy anything I can't actually try, there are too many personal variables involved.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I bought 2 pair Minox BF 8x42 BR from CLNY for $100 each. These were display units but were still sealed. In my opinion they're bright and do well in low light.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Let us know what you decide to get for him

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by catorres1
That's why I am loathe to buy anything I can't actually try, there are too many personal variables involved.

I'd narrow it down to the top two choices even if you need to order them, help the kid buy one pair, then spend some time with those top two at home, at your leisure. Return the one he doesn't like after test driving for a few days and evenings.

Most places have no problem with you trying binos for a few days.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/30/14.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
This is a good idea, picking the top two. I am going to put up another post to get opinions on this to compare what experts think, then use that to order a couple pair and give it a whirl.

I got more time late into dark with the binos last night at Cabelas. We ranked them in order of preference, based on inside light and dark viewing. The dark viewing changed the apparent sharpness order somewhat. Unfortunately, I stupidly did not include the Monarch 7's, so I did not get to compare those with the others. That's thrown a bit of a wrench into things, as I am seeing really good reviews on this bino vs Vipers et al.

Anyway, when it got very dark outside, out of the vipers, talons, Mojave's, and Meopro's....Vipers seemed to provide detail the longest, then the Talons, the Meopros. The Mojave's dropped out first.

Indoors in bright light, it was a little different. The Vipers, Meopros and Mojaves were very close...the Talons were just below these in sharpness to my poor eyes.

Like I said, though, I stupidly did not check M7's vs the others. And I also neglected to really pay attention to FOV or DOF, I was too focused on clarity and lowlight performance in the short time I had.

So while I could have put the whole thing to bed last night, I left with questions, and going back again to look is not an option.

Frustrating, but it's my fault!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by catorres1
I have reached out to Doug via PM. He helped me with my last scope purchase, so I definitely hope to work with him again on this.

So lets throw this out there. Which of these, in order, with low light and clarity being the most important things, assuming cost is the sameish, all 8 x 40ish:

Meopta Meopro
Zen Ray ED3
Vanguard
Nikon M5
Zeiss Terra

Oh, tell me about Minox's too!

I got ZEN ED3 from Doug. I am really impressed by it. Do not have experience with other binoculars.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.