Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks for all the kind words and info!

I don't think the Lyman "six" sight I have is a proper .375 H&H replacement? This sight does not have the cut notch I see in Rule's book (page 166)? Has "Lyman 6" engraved on the bottom but I don't see a W anywhere. Great shape, nice knurls on the edges but doesn't look correct for the .375, M70. I'm thinking it may be for another gun (1895, etc.)? If so, can anyone rough date it?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
That front sight pictured looks low, like a .260? I don't know what that Lyman 6 sight is? I haven't seen very many and it has been a while. I wonder if the one blade is milled down flat?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
OK - just found another one on ebay (photo credit to them [UPDATE: sold for $125.50]) - not as nice as mine but has the packaging. Bids are approaching $100 so somebody must want them. Looks like anything from a Winchester 90, 94, Marlin 92, 93, Savage 99 to a Remington Model 25 may have used this Lyman 6.

[Linked Image]

Here's a link to one on an old Savage:
http://www.savage99.com/rear_sights.htm

Last edited by Gusb; 04/06/15.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I am not a expert by any means and the few that I have seen were mostly long ago, but I am going to venture a guess that the W in 6W designates an original equipment version for factory installation, which differs from the common aftermarket Lyman model 6. I think that is why the 6W's go for so much.

The 6W was original equipment on some model 54 Winchesters as well as the M70 in 375 H&H with base(later) or without base(earlier).

Do some more research and if not what was original/acceptable to the Winchester 70 or 54, you may as well make a couple of bucks for yourself, unless the other makes of vintage guns charge your batteries!

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Pulling the Lyman 48 off and putting the Leupold back on - just don't want to go to a incorrect/higher front sight, etc.

Still trying to improve this gun a bit and thinking of buying a replacement extractor per sbrmike's comments. Finally pulled the firing pin and it looks like somebody ("gunsmith") did a little work on it too. I'm thinking that at some point an overcharged round or weak primer caused some havoc? Then someone kissed the bolt face on a lathe and messed with the extractor and firing pin to "clean things up". Note the earlier post where I found a tiny steel shaving in a corner of the action.

A few questions (thanks for any feedback) :
1) Would a factory intact bolt-face still have some finish on it and not be turned?
2) Could kissing the boltface this way have changed the head spacing? I've put 80 rounds through the gun so far and everything seems OK.
3) Should I be replacing that firing pin?
4) Anyone know what the spec for the firing pin hole diameter should be? The hole looks clean but it occurred to me someone may have reamed it?
5) Does this extractor look really messed up function-wise or just cosmetically?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gusb; 04/11/15.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The bolt and firing pin look fine. Many are just like that. After 1952 or 1954??? They started cutting the bolt face back for final headspace instead of using a couple more reamers in the barrel. The firing pin may have been fit by the factory or a gunsmith, the point looks good and that is an important thing; if it cocks and goes on Safe alright it is good to go. You could check firing pin protrusion by assembling the bolt assembly and "Firing" the striker. A dime makes a good protrusion gauge for the tip protruding the bolt face. There have been some dandy extractors on the old eBay lately! You need an "A" marked extractor.

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by sbrmike
The bolt and firing pin look fine. Many are just like that. After 1952 or 1954??? They started cutting the bolt face back for final headspace instead of using a couple more reamers in the barrel. The firing pin may have been fit by the factory or a gunsmith, the point looks good and that is an important thing; if it cocks and goes on Safe alright it is good to go. You could check firing pin protrusion by assembling the bolt assembly and "Firing" the striker. A dime makes a good protrusion gauge for the tip protruding the bolt face. There have been some dandy extractors on the old eBay lately! You need an "A" marked extractor.

Does that mean you have extractors on eBay? smile If so, give me a link.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
No I just so some super clean ones there or possibly on gunbroker. I search: pre 64 Winchester 70

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
No I just so some super clean ones there or possibly on gunbroker. I search: pre 64 Winchester 70

Thanks for all your help - really appreciated! I'll look for the "A" smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just a side note but if a pre 64 extractor is needed for a standard chambering,a guy can use a 1917 Enfield extractor. Takes a bit of grinding off each side but will work fine. BTDT.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just bought a beautiful new looking extractor on ebay. I've only had to change 1 out over the years, so it's nice to have a spare handy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I just bought a beautiful new looking extractor on ebay. I've only had to change 1 out over the years, so it's nice to have a spare handy...

Any way to put a "ballpark" value on something like an extractor?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A very good one will sell for about $40-$50.00. Sometimes they will sell for much more than that:

Pre 64 model 70 "A" extractor

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Your extractor looks like it has been altered a bit. Yes it is cosmetic as a minimum. If it works OK it is OK. I wish I knew you were thinking about selling that Lyman 48WJS. I would have made an offer that would have included a very good Extractor! Like I always say, you can get money anywhere; good parts are worth more than money!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Holy cow!! Someone really wanted that extractor! It sold for $192.50 plus $4.99 Shipping! I may be be rich! Nope, I can get money anywhere; parts for parts!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn, what in the hell!!!!! I had no idea that one would sell for that much... eek. The one I bought last month was just like that one... I think I paid $40.00 for it though..

BSA MAGA
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Holy cow!! Someone really wanted that extractor! It sold for $192.50 plus $4.99 Shipping! I may be be rich! Nope, I can get money anywhere; parts for parts!

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Damn, what in the hell!!!!! I had no idea that one would sell for that much... eek. The one I bought last month was just like that one... I think I paid $40.00 for it though..

You guys deserve an update. Funny thing eBay... This extractor had settled at $88 with 45 minutes left on the clock. I was waiting to jump at the end but got stuck in Yosemite with no internet access - forced to put a high cover in and leave and not watch it. I knew the bidding would take off, somebody really wanted that extractor I guess (as much as I did anyway). So/but I'm now the proud owner of a really expensive extractor, for my lowly shooter (hope it fits). The seller is also including a ring so that helps the pain a little. I've decided to keep my really nice Lyman 48 (or save for a trade anyway), at these rates it might be a chore to find another one down the road. smile

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Wow didn't see that coming!! The extractor will fit. Do NOT change the ring.

You did OK keeping that Lyman 48. They are not all that rare; they made a bunch of them. The StaySet knob version you have is a much better choice for a hunting rifle, but most people prefer the looks and/or ease of adjustment of the target knobs.

Your Lyman 6 is a simple sight as is the 6W; they are rare hence the high price. You showed what they cost new. Lyman 48's are a much more complicated piece of machinery and cost a good deal more when new, but the 6W will bring more than a nice 48 because of the rare factor.

Read and ignore my previous PM's as that is water under the bridge. I kind of thought you may have cancelled the listing to keep for yourself. That Lyman deserves a nice low comb 375 H&H or a high or low combed scoped up model in any caliber, perhaps one with a G&H sidemount.

I have your extractor's twin, but could have bought 4 for that money there. I should probably put this in a PM, but want to make sure you see this: If you think you need to replace that bolt for any other reason than excess headspace, you probably ought to sell that pre 64 and buy a new gun with a warranty. Vintage guns like pre 64 70's were bought to be used back in the day, and they were used. The cleaner unused or slightly used go for over $1,000.00 - well over $1,000.00

If the gun has good headspace that bolt is fine, not perfect, but will work just fine and last a long time.

Well those are my opinions anyway. And you know about opinions, they are like something else that everyone has and everybody else's stinks worse than mine. Good luck.

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Wow didn't see that coming...

Sorry I'm so out of it Mike. As you suspected I never saw the PMs. I'll keep an eye on the mail from now on. That flashing envelope never caught my eye, used to a dialog box popping up, etc. I pulled the Lyman 48 because it had no immediate bids and I had decided to keep it. If/when, in future I decide to let it go I'll drop you a PM first if you like to see if you're still interested.

Thanks again for your experienced advice. I had thought it was better to leave the original ring in place and haven't messed with it. My ring does have a little wear burr in one spot, I'll throw up a closeup shot to get your opinion.

Thanks again - Gus

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
That ring would have to be nearly cut in half for me to say change it. That is a "fit" part. The bolt may not work smoothly, possibly not at all with an ill fitting ring.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10ring1, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.