Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What did your use to strip it? I have tried a few thing, but never have been satisfied with the results. I always end up having to do just a touch of sand and it makes me crazy.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
750 won't buy much these days. Even tho it has been cut it sure beats the cheapo plastic crap...I have several and the pad is an improvement. Just don't look at it as a collector piece. Look at it as a nice old usable quality made rifle..

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I inherited a pre war 70, cal. .270. 1939 action, 1940 barrel, IIRC. What's wrong with it? The two previous owners USED it. It has been padded. The rear receiver bridge was drilled with one hole for a scope base. It is not a collector, but a darn fine shooter. The finish is thin, but there is no rust on it. I'm thinking of putting a nice scope on it and giving it to my grandson. He may not use it, but he has no need to sell it.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Big thanks for this link BSA - I will indeed try to get this front sight!

Thanks for the comments. Sorry I�ve been out of the loop with work, etc. I used basic �Premium� stripper one gets at the local hardware. The hard shiny finish the PO had used just bubbled right up and a small plastic scraper took most of it right off. The checkering was full of a dark brown paint-like material and I used an small old nylon gun brush (think toothbrush) and carefully scrubbed out the cuts. The wood grain seemed to have retained some original stain so I taped the checkering and did a minimal sanding job with 350 paper and small school eraser. I like the existing dings and scrapes - someone went to the trouble of putting that history there so why should I try to remove it? smile

After I rubbed a couple of oil coats I used an oil based pore filler just once. Now have about 9/10 coats of linseed (boiled) applied and at some point will switch to Lin-Speed to finish up. Not perfect but to my eye the stock is developing some character.

I�ve also carefully removed the small spots of bedding material that was used and found little holes drilled (I guess to get the material to stick to the wood). I�m going to make a few measurements and clean these areas bit more and try to bed the action even though I really don�t know what i�m doing. I�ll try to get a few more pictures up. I�m wondering if someone may have recut the checkering outline?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gusb; 05/28/14.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Very nice job.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent work good sir. It's comforting to know there are anti-bubbas out there that work to properly restore old classics.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Dang that is turning into a truly fine looking rifle. I figure you where using something nasty to strip it. The on a and only time I like the stripper I used was when it was the really toxic, make you crazy or sterile if your not careful stuff. All the other less stringent ones just don't work, the poly finish just laughed at them and kept right on going.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice work Gus. Looking damn good!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
GusB, did you buy that front sight. Looks like someone won the auction at $9.51. That was a pretty good buy...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Excellent work good sir. It's comforting to know there are anti-bubbas out there that work to properly restore old classics.

George, not to let the cat out of the bag, when are you going to show us some pics of your new 300H&H? A range report would be awesome as well!!!

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Got it BSA - thanks again for the heads-up. Also got the 2 rear sights someone else had for sale:
"...is a Lyman type 16 folding rear sight for a late mod. 70 with monte carlo stock made after 1954..."

Picture wasn't great on the Lyman so I'm hoping it works out.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Looking good Gus ,should be a nice rifle when you are done.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gusb
Got it BSA - thanks again for the heads-up. Also got the 2 rear sights someone else had for sale:
"...is a Lyman type 16 folding rear sight for a late mod. 70 with monte carlo stock made after 1954..."

Picture wasn't great on the Lyman so I'm hoping it works out.

Lyman made the 16A for the featherweights (1955-1963) and the 16B for the standard wts (1954-1963). They are basically the same sight except the leaf is taller on the 16A. This isn't because of the change to a montecarlo stock (like some guys think), but to make up the difference in height, because the fwt doesn't have the barrel boss wink

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Great info BSA.

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Ebay can be a funny thing. Not knowing how a Lyman 16B folding sight goes together I looked at a blurred photo (see last image below) thinking the misaligned ears must be loose screws and an adjustment. But the guy was actually selling a bent sight someone had banged so hard it would not even fold open anymore. He even sent both sights loose in a plain paper envelope that was all torn up in the mail when it arrived. Banged out the pin, pulled the 16B apart and did some body work, straightened it a bit - not perfect but I�ll use it to protect the dovetail cut in the barrel for a while until another comes along. The Lyman 6 that came with the �deal� looks good - now I just need a .375 H&H to go with it. smile

Hoping for better luck with the 103C that�s on it�s way from a different seller.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gus, it looks like with a little more massaging on that right ear you can straighten it out better. Pretty clean looking sight otherwise. Sucks about the poor packaging and sight being bent though. Did you contact the seller?

BSA MAGA
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Gus, it looks like with a little more massaging on that right ear you can straighten it out better. Pretty clean looking sight otherwise. Sucks about the poor packaging and sight being bent though. Did you contact the seller?

Thanks BSA. It's close now, vertical adjustment works, flips up/down, finish suffered where I hammered on it, hit it with a felt tip marker on that corner. Didn't contact the seller because I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I will question anything he's got up in future but won't do the negative feedback thing. Life's too short smile

Almost ready to bed the action before adding more finish to the stock. Should have the front sight in a few days.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool, I look forward to seeing the finished product. Looks like you are doing it right and taking your time with it.

BSA MAGA
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Green gun full Brownell�s Acraglas. Hope it comes back apart. smile
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gusb; 06/02/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, at least it's gift wrapped for st pattys day whistle

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.