Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
My first post. I�m looking at a Model 70 in 30-06. Got the serial number and it looks like the action was made in 1957. The bore looks good (to my untrained eye) and from what I can tell the lands seem somewhat sharp, etc. What do I make of the wear marks on the bolt, extractor (see closeup) - seem normal? I think I�ve seen other actions that look worn sort of like this? The stock has weird dark checkering (like it�s been messed with), refinished looking and an after market butt pad but I�m thinking the wood could still be original to the gun? Somebody gutted the wood around the barrel - to make it free floating I guess frown

The shop guy says the scope is a good one (Leupold) although I don�t really care about it much. I want to go back to original iron sights and maybe even add a peep at some point.

I thought I could buy it, clean it and take it to the range just the way it is to see how it shoots with the scope off the bench - just for a test. Then remove the scope and replace the iron sights (Lyman seems to still sell iron sights that are close to original for this year gun�). Strip the stock, try to determine how bad the checkering is and then maybe do a simple oil finish. Then find an original steel butt plate at some point, or just put a decent simple Pachmayr, etc. on. I don�t think the length (stock) has been messed with. Maybe even find another stock at some point? A project gun.

Any opinions? smile
http://birdpublishing.com/img/another_compare.jpg

Last edited by Gusb; 04/30/14.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Save your money and buy one that hasn't been so Bubbasmithed.

Last edited by gunswizard; 04/30/14.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gunswizard

+1....keep lookin, there's usually a much nicer one right around the corner.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm not a pre-64 expert, but I get gut feelings.
The stock is trashed. It has been cut to accommodate a recoil pad so a butt plate will leave it short. The channel makes it unrecoverable as well.
The scope rings/mounts are Weaver which lessens (in my mind) scope mounting security. The scope is fine (if clear and adjustable). The lifetime warranty helps.
Finally, you didn't mention cost and utilization intentions.
If you want a hunter and the price is $400 or less, buy it.
If you're hoping to buy it, restore it to original condition, forget it. A pre-64 stock in nice shape is virtually unavailable.

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
The price is $750. There are many around the corner that are better but they won't be $750. They might come down a little, I go back in today to take another look.

The ones I've seen online and at places like Cabelas seem to have actions/barrels which are no better, only with iron sights and much nicer stocks. Of course maybe Bubba has worked on this action too, I don't know enough to tell. No one has mentioned the wear on the bolt, etc. is that normal in a 1957 30-06? Every decent 30-06 I've seen seems to be at least $1,500 (other calibers higher). If this is a good action, is a decent stock worth another $750? Maybe I could use a fiberglass (McMillan classic 70, etc.) and have a decent shooter?

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
It sounds like you have already made up your mind to buy this rifle, but I agree that there are better shooters out there for the $750 that you would pay for this one.

Be patient. You will find one.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My friend, The photos on the gun in your first post looks like a fair to nice 'shooter grade' made in April of 1957.
Its all about what you want , do you want to be a collector of 95% pre 64 model 70's, do you want to collect NIB unfired since they left the factory or do you want a nice classic gun to fold a whitetail up every time you drop the hammer on the best factory trigger made?
Now it all comes to money, yep the all mighty dollar. You have to start here as the action,floor plate, trigger and mag box ,spring and follower is worth a smooth $600.00 to a guy that is going to build on it. OK your stock was more than likely cut for recoil pad, no biggie these old guys bought these guns to hunt and did not give a dog dam as to collectable value 40 years down the road .nice gun but its all about price. I have 8 30-06 and 270's I an going to shine up a bit to sell before next deer season. I would be happy to hunt with any of them , they will be priced very fair and all will get the job done! Some are just like they left the factory except they have been hunted,some have had pads added and one has been professionally refinished but each and every one shoot good and have CLASS! very best on a nice shooter

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard

This.

What's your hurry? Wait for a clean one.

Mine is a .30-06 Featherweight I bought at LGS for $700 because the recoil pad had been added--otherwise near mint, pristine bore.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I haven�t made up my mind, but I�ll take another look today and probably pass because of everyone�s feedback - which I mucho appreciate smile

Originally my intention was to find a 1950�s Model 70 in .375 H&H. Just a decent original, iron-sighted shooter with age and wear that I could still take to the range and safely shoot. When the pre-64 price realities set in I thought about a new Safari Express. But it seems like black magic trying to locate (or even get details on) one of those, so I bounced back to the 30-06 as a compromise of sorts.

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
My friend, The photos on the gun in your first post looks like a fair to nice 'shooter grade' made in April of 1957.
Its all about what you want , do you want to be a collector of 95% pre 64 model 70's, do you want to collect NIB unfired since they left the factory or do you want a nice classic gun to fold a whitetail up every time you drop the hammer on the best factory trigger made?
Now it all comes to money, yep the all mighty dollar. You have to start here as the action,floor plate, trigger and mag box ,spring and follower is worth a smooth $600.00 to a guy that is going to build on it. OK your stock was more than likely cut for recoil pad, no biggie these old guys bought these guns to hunt and did not give a dog dam as to collectable value 40 years down the road .nice gun but its all about price. I have 8 30-06 and 270's I an going to shine up a bit to sell before next deer season. I would be happy to hunt with any of them , they will be priced very fair and all will get the job done! Some are just like they left the factory except they have been hunted,some have had pads added and one has been professionally refinished but each and every one shoot good and have CLASS! very best on a nice shooter

So winchesterpoor - are you saying the price of this gun is not far off for a shooter?

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
GUSB, I trade pre 64 mod 70's much as I used to trade case pocket knives. Long story short even with my bad eyes and #3 reading glasses I doubt you will get hurt at 750. I can tell you you will be light years ahead of any mod 700 or 77 guy out there. just my 2 C very best WinPoor

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He's saying a nearly blind man might buy it before you can get back to them. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by pal
He's saying a nearly blind man might buy it before you can get back to them. smile

At $750 with the Leupold I'd have likely sprained my wrist gettin' my wallet out...but I've been known to buy stuff other guys didn't..:-)

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
winchesterpoor, pal and rembo - you guys are making me feel really good because I went in there before I saw the last three posts and bought the gun! The shop owner and 2 employees were there, as well as two other customers who seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about old Model 70s. They all said it was a really decent shooter for the price, crown and bore looked good, etc. I don't know what I'm looking at but the scope seemed clear, I pointed it out the window across the street. They also had a really nice, almost perfect original Model 70, .270 (around 1950, I think) priced at $1,800 so it was interesting to compare the rifles. So I'm hoping that ugly wood that's maybe not so nice helped me get a really decent gun at a reasonable price. smile

I also think the stock can be improved a little (cosmetic) by stripping it - the checkering almost looks like someone took brown paint and painted the diamonds. But first will be a trip to the range (10+ days) to see how it shoots. I've got the Roger Rule book so I can begin searching for proper iron sights, hood, etc. Any tips for installing the iron sights in the dovetails? I'll try to put up some good closeup shots when I get the gun.

Thanks again for all the advise!

Last edited by Gusb; 04/30/14.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
That's a good buy there GusB. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I agree, good buy, the metal looks good. A variable Leupold is worth 150 at least and with their lifetime warranty if there is anything wrong with it send it to them and they will take care off it.
Enjoy!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
After 51 years of looking and searching I finally found and bought a Winchester Model 52C Sporter, so my gun buying days are over until I move several mod 70's that are surplus to my needs, In spite of that promise to myself I would have scratched up the 750. you paid for your gun just because it was well worth that money being scoped.When you start adding mounts, base and rings, a decent Leupold scope ( I wish I could know how many deer I have nailed with a vxll 3x9 Leupold) you are in the gun at about 600 bucks. Clean the gun up and Im willing to bet it will shoot an inch or better with pet ammo! Ya done good my friend! v best WinPoor

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Certainly not an expert, but it would have to be a very special scope to sway me into purchasing a rifle that I was on the fence about....in fact, I always inquire about the price of a rifle with the scope and mounts removed....optics and mounting systems are definetly a matter of personal taste.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
If anyone is still interested... when I get the gun home I'll put up a few closeup pictures of the action, bolt face, etc. (a few paper groups from the range - if I can hit the paper) and maybe at that point things will look one way or the other. Right now after pulling the bolt and seeing inside the action again I'm feeling overall positive about the deal and I usually lean towards the negative/dark side. smile

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Gusb, If you are unhappy with the gun I will give you 750 for it!
The last thing I need at the moment is a 50's pre 64 30-06! very best WinPoor

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (12344mag, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.