Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
KUIU announced today a price reduction on select key products. Below are the details behind the price reduction and a personal message from KUIU founder Jason Hairston.

[Linked Image]
[video:youtube]RqMKYIWIVJk[/video]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Still waaaayyyyyyy to rich for my blood

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lowered prices because most of their stock is on backorder....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
Lowered prices because most of their stock is on backorder....

And made in China. wink

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've been very happy with almost all my kuiu gear, glad to hear of the price drop.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Attack Pants are unreal. Best hunting pants I own.

Gonna try their Ultra 6000 pack next.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I ordered some gear and am looking forward to getting it this week!

Last edited by Centurion75; 05/03/14.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Having worked in manufacturing most of my life, I am partial to keeping my US and Canadian friends working. I am very willing to pay a bit more for product which is not sent offshore.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kuiu makes very good gear. I was skeptical at first but after owning and using their stuff for a couple of years now I have become a big fan. I am also pretty conservative financially so their gear seemed pricey but you get what you pay for, and in the backcountry in tough conditions, you don't want a garment malfunction.

Normally I would have concerns about manufacturing being shifted overseas but I think in this case the founder will be laser focused on quality control. From a pure business standpoint you almost have to do business overseas to be competitive.

I am glad to see the reduction in pricing and the founder passing that down to the customer. It will make Kuiu gear accessible to more folks.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Darktimber
From a pure business standpoint you almost have to do business overseas to be competitive.

I often hear sentiments like these being voiced but I have to disagree. You do not have to send manufacturing overseas to be competitive, you just have to be good ... very good. Fortunately, in the arena KUIU is playing, cost over the counter is far less important than quality and design. KUIU's customers are not shopping price, they are looking for quality. If you can provide me with excellent product built right here in North America, you have access to my wallet. I will pay less, if I buy at all, for product from a company who does not employ their own customer base.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 05/04/14.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got both Canadian and Vietnamese KUIU and I'd be lying if I said the stuff from Asia isn't comparable in quality to that made in North America. If you're curious, it's all of excellent quality. Still wish it was made in Canada, but it's quality gear either way.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't really care where a product is made, if it's good quality and what I need, I buy it. I have yet to try Kuiu, but know several people who swear by it. I am a Sitka fan, and would bet all their stuff is also made in Asia. Do I wish Kuiu and Sitka were made in the USA, sure, but such is life.

Brent

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Let's see... Next step - sell the company and start over, dragging the fan base along for another "this is the best hunting gear in the world" ride?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wiggy's and Kifaru make great synthetic bags in the US. The BEST hunting packs are US made. Western Mtneering and Feathered Friends bags are without peer, both US made. It gets a lot more difficult to buy US made when it comes to clothing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let us not forget that we want foreign folks to buy our products made right here in America. Anymore it is a global economy.
If you like something and it works for you, buy it. If you don't, don't. Simple as that.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Scorpion
I've got both Canadian and Vietnamese KUIU and I'd be lying if I said the stuff from Asia isn't comparable in quality to that made in North America. If you're curious, it's all of excellent quality. Still wish it was made in Canada, but it's quality gear either way.

This sums up my experience as well. Big fan of the Kuiu clothing line.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Kuiu gear was delivered today... Very impressed with their guide pant, merino wool not so much, I would recommend first lite for that department. Down jacket fits great but time will only tell on durability/moisture repellent ect... Really like Kuiu and what the company stands for. Props to Jason for passing on the savings to the hunter, wish him nothing but the best.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like Kuiu's gear but their sizing flat out SUCKS. If you are a midget I am sure the sizing is fine. What really pissed me off was I ordered a XL vest and it was to short. So no big deal I will order a XXL and be good to go but a little baggy. WRONG same length on both size. So I give the XL vest to a friend that is 5'10" 155lbs and it looks short on him as well.

Their Jacket sleeve length is to short too.

I know I am a fairly big guy so if it was a tad to short that would be one thing. But way to short is another. Not to mention my buddy is by no means a large guy. If an XL doesn't fit correctly on a guy 5'10" and 155lbs the sizing is F-ed up. Add that an XL and XXL are both the same length and well you get the picture.

Another BS move is having a "Sale" but only on in stock items. What makes it even worst is when you have only 2 sizes of the item in stock. My wife hit the roof and refuses to do any business with Kuiu ever again. It is not the consumers fault you can't get your inventory under control and their for you shouldn't be punishing the consumer.

Their business model is a very small niche market. They should be doing everything they can to be consumer friendly. For a direct to consumer product their pricing is on the high side, not over the top high but not the bargin it should be.

I totally understand Jasons need to take the production overseas. But at the same time the price should have followed suit and it did not.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Price is generally not a good reason to buy anything. Seems the U6K was built more with price in mind. Mine went back to be replaced with a SG.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I picked up a Chugach jacket in vias camo when it went on sale and just got it in a week or two ago. I may end up sending it back for a verde version once they get them in stock again.

Very nice jacket although the sizing runs a little slimmer in the waist then my Sitka rain jacket in the same size. Sleeve length and hem seem about the same as my Sitka.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.