Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Been searching all the retailers for months/years now, and I am having doubts if Speer will ever make another Gold Dot/Deep Curl in .357 or .44? Hornady, Nosler and others seem to have a fairly steady supply making it to retail over the last several months, but not a Speer to be found. Did manage to find some .40 Gold Dots......once......so I guess they are still in business?

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I was told by one of their techs that the rifle deepcurl bullets are discontinued. They said that they still produce the gold dot/deepcurl for pistols though. I have not seen any in quit a while, that is why I emailed them. hope this helps.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was going to post the same question!

The Speer 240 grain flat point (and 270) are my favorite 44 Magnum bullets. I dislike the hollow points for hunting and the Gold Dots really hold together. I used the 240 grain to put a cow down for butchering a few years ago. The bullet completely penetrated the skull and was found after penetrating a good 12 inches down the spinal column. The bullet was mangled pretty good but totally held together and didn�t separate. I have been shooting the Nosler sporting handgun bullets out of my Marlin at about 1550 fps for practice and they seem to lose their jacket regularly in the backstop.

This is the first year Ohio has allowed rifles firing handgun cartridges during deer season. I have been looking for some Speers. I guess I�ll have to go with the Hornady XTP. Remington used to make a flat point bullet too but I haven�t found any of those either.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To me Speer has lost there direction or forgot there in the bullet making business... Been frustrating for many reloaders

I was a loyal speer bullet user for years. Shoot more speer branded bullets than any others, NOT the case any more. When a bullet company quits making there bread and butter bullets in popular calibers and weights, something has got to be not good...

This last buy-out involving ATK, They seem to put there energy towards other legs of the company. In another post, I stated that speer is dead to me... because speer has become an unreliable source of the very things they manufacture, bullets.

Bite the bullet, so to say, and try other brands such as I had to. Its a shame, I think Speer was really on to something with there bullets.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I feel the same way, and am also somewhat P.O.ed at Hodgdon powder company....they are discontinuing manufacture of PB, 7625, and 4576 powders. 4576 had become a "go to" powder for me; quite versatile (shotgun slugs, handgun loads, buckshot, and nontoxic loads), and now I have to figure out something else to use....but it sure as hell WON'T be a Hodgdon product!
35+ years of reloading data....and now it's all for nothing! Guess I just load up whatever bullets I can find with whatever powder I can get my hands on and use whatever primer is available....Sadly, that seems to be the nature of the beast anymore.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speer's current strategy is one for The Twilight Zone or The X Files.

Looking at their web site NOTHING has changed. You'd think there would be some company message or something to communicate with their customers?!

What the hell is the deal with the Deep Curl? Weird. I am still predicting the DC will reappear under a new name with a premium billing and price to match. Then again maybe not; that actually might make some sense as a marketing initiative, even if it was a ripoff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There web site is just sweet looking propaganda...why would they advertise what was really going on like the growing list discontinued bullets....

I stuck a fork in Speer bullets and called it done with them.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Several years ago I bought a box of 500 Speer 240 gr FP, 44 cal. I felt stupid at the time as I didn't know how I would ever use them all up. I still have about 300. Not feeling as stupid anymore since you can't buy any more.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, sure wish I could get my hands on some of those 240gr flat point deep curls. And some 357 158gr gold dots would be nice too. If they don't hurry up, I will be forced to stock up on xtp's before the next crisis hits.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I always liked their .358, 146 jacketed swc hp. I still have a few boxes but I believe they've been discontinued. They have always been one of the most accurate bullets in my .357's.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I always liked their .358, 146 jacketed swc hp. I still have a few boxes but I believe they've been discontinued. They have always been one of the most accurate bullets in my .357's.

Yes, they did discontinue that bullet, along with the 225 grain .44 SWC HP and (I would assume) the .41 cal version for the .41 magnum (210? 215?).
As with you, those bullets were very accurate in my handguns as well....sad to see 'em go.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Several years ago I bought a box of 500 Speer 240 gr FP, 44 cal. I felt stupid at the time as I didn't know how I would ever use them all up. I still have about 300. Not feeling as stupid anymore since you can't buy any more.

That was definitely NOT stupid. They are darn good bullets. I was ahead of the curve on some things but never foresaw these becoming unavailable. Although honestly, they are the only Speer product I miss.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just checked in here. I've pretty much given up on Speers too. Even before the "big crunch", availability of those I use was spotty. My shooting needs and preferences require a reliable supply.

Of course in today's climate, good luck with any of that.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The 300 grain Uni Cor is my favorite bullet in the 444 marlin but I haven't seen a box for sale in a few years. I have a couple hundred left and a hundred or so loaded rounds and they will be used sparingly unless I see some for sale at a price that is remotely affordable.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I started out my reloading career with Speer 80 grain spitzers in a 788 6mm over 35 years ago. Loved that bullet on varmints and it wasn't too hard on fur. Over the years I used a lot of Speer bullets in a lot of calibers and had good results with them. When I started putting together my 6mm/222, I was disappointed to discover they weren't producing the old 80 grain spitzer any more. Thought it would be a good fit for the little wildcat.

I always liked the half jacket semi-wadcutter bullets they made for handguns. I shot a lot of them through various 44 mags. I haven't seen them in a few years.

It seems unfathomable to me that in these times when a bullet maker can sell every bullet they can possibly produce, that they are dropping any from their line up. It's almost as if Speer has lost interest in producing bullets. I have to agree they seem to have lost focus and direction.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brought out the Deep Shock line
Cancelled the Deep Shock line
Introduced the Deep Curl line
Cancelled the Hot Core line
Re-introduced the Hot Core line
Cancelled the Deep Curl line
Website still touts the Deep Curls.

Clueless...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I used to shoot a lot of Speer handgun bullets years ago. Pretty much went to only cast a bit later. I have never loaded a Speer rifle bullet though. A few years ago I bought 15 boxes of the 270 gr GD's that were on sale cheap. I bought them for my old Ruger Carbine. Did the same with the 250 gr Partitions that Widener's had on clearance for $20/box a bit ago. Another great discontinued bullet. I believe they still have some 357 and 45 cal ones.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by paint
The 300 grain Uni Cor is my favorite bullet in the 444 marlin but I haven't seen a box for sale in a few years. I have a couple hundred left and a hundred or so loaded rounds and they will be used sparingly unless I see some for sale at a price that is remotely affordable.

That's what I use for bear spray in my .44 mags, good bullet. I hope to find some more in stock at some point, down to about 50 rounds.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It isn't just "us" who are unhappy with the direction ATK has moved Speer. I live near to them and speak with, or stop by regularly (not so much now). Speer employees are unhappy with the way things have gone. ATK has commanded they build bullets for Federal loaded ammo first and foremost. For those paying attention at home (read your date in the latest Speer manual) there is ZERO plans to do another.
In response to the similar complaint about Hodgy, they do not nor ever have manufactured a drop of smokeless powder. So similar to Speer being directed to build something. They don't sell enough, or want to pay for, new production.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate to learn of this, when I started reloading in the late 1970's I began with a Speer #8 and a box of 130 grain HotCor bullets for my .270 WIN. I long ago switched to Hornady bullets due to local availability (most of the gunshops in this area are Hornady stocking dealers). I did use the 200 grain Speer HP "flying ashtray" in my 45 Colt for a home defense load - bought up about 800 of them 10 or 12 years ago when they were discontinued for the Gold Dot - but I still have plenty, however that's it when they are gone.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1234, 70 invisible), 3,536 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,400
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.