Hop To
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Is a model PS the same as a model P?
Seems I recall Kevin saying that if a P ever turns up a guy should buy it.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
All I remember is the PD. It was a tad smaller than a Commander IIRC. Folks cherished them as carry pieces back before the Officer's Model was a reality. I remember having one for a couple of months and trading it off. Probably worth a lot to a collector today. I wouldn't rely on one for daily carry today. Better stuff out there, like a Glock 19 stuffed with Ranger +P+

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Model PS is basically a Star model A/B in .45 ACP; it's a quality pistol. Although it looks like a 1911 it's very different in many ways. The trigger bar/sear is greatly simplified for ease of manufacture and repair. While this is great, it does make for slightly gritty triggers. It does not use 1911 magazines and finding magazines will be a chore, but they are out there. The PS was only imported for a year or two, so it's not a common pistol at all. These were made as military pistols before the common use of hollow points, so they typically only work with FMJ's but they're very reliable with FMJ's.

As a primary self defense pistol, wouldn't be my first choice unless it was really cheap and that's all I could afford.

But if I already had a self defense pistol, I'd LOVE to have a PS because they're just very uncommon; and I like Spanish pistols.

If you're not going to buy it, please PM me with the details of where it is and how much they want for it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by kend
Is a model PS the same as a model P?

The PS addad a magazine safety to earn extra ATF points for importation after the 1968 GCA. OTW same as the P, as far as I remember. The A was the 9mm and the B was the 38 Super/9mm Largo. The PS is a larger frame to acommodate the 45ACP single stack 7 round mag.

The safety is under one of the plastic grips (left IIRC) and can be lifted out without any tools allowing normal operation, including saving your life with that last round in the chamber when the magazine is not in the well.

Still have on with some of the chrome plating on it. My first 45 ACP smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a PD. Col. Cooper liked them but said they should be carried a lot but shot little. I love mine.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I remember reading from Massad Ayoob that Star PD's had plastic rod guides that needed replacement after so many firings. Or plastic scrapings would jam the pistol. But I've never known anyone who owned a Star PD. But if thats true then it'd be a consideration for a purchaser.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.