Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been using another brand of pack for more heavy duty type of activities such as carrying in 50 lbs bags of corn and mineral salts for deer, moving tree stands and carrying out whole gutted doe. I have also been walking with weights in my pack lately to strengthen my legs and ankles and stay in more preparation for when I need to used pack to haul heavier items.

The comfort in my old system was fine for the most part but it was more of the features of the Kifaru Duplex Frame that I was drawn to. After a couple of seasons with my old set up I just wanted to try out a system that had different features. After all... You only live once.

I'll try and run through the features that interested me to want to try the Duplex Frame as well as the Timberline 2 bag.

Duplex Frame features I liked
24" high stay option
The stay height was built into the frame not the pack bag
3 stay bend options to match your back contour
Independent shoulder strap adjustments in their heights.
The belt system in wide and thinner allowing it to mold to your shape
Power Pull waste lightning
Attachment points galore!

Timberline 2 Bag features I liked
5200ci size that is compressible
Bottom access
2 front pockets
2 side sleeve pockets
Pals for attaching additional pockets as well as NOT attaching them very fast.
Way larger water bladder pocket than I'm used to.
Thinner and narrower shoulder straps.

Accessories I really liked that will simplify a big need I have but use less often is the Cargo Panel. The cargo panel has was more attachment points that can be used at one time and the length to load up large bulky items and not run out of bag or fabric real estate as I have don't in past setups. Also one great feature is the cargo panel can be used on the front of the pack bag or with the frame only. And you still maintain that 24" frame height!!

I have been using the pack as you see here for the most part. My normal leave the truck kit in a stuff sac in the bottom compartment with water bladder, small items in front pockets and anything else stowed in the top area as any other pack. Standard lid to keep things minimal in size when using the Timberline 2 bag for lighter day pack mode.

[Linked Image]

Spotter and tripod in side sleeves on this day. I don't use spotter too much but do enjoy closer looks at times. Even on a lunch hike.

[Linked Image]

Lunch in the top center pocket.

[Linked Image]

Great use out of the Kifaru Duplex Frame and the Cargo Panel attachment today.

I have to get comfortable with the attachment strap configuration but it was fairly easy to figure out what I needed for my situation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rides really well

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...-B5B2-4BF1A6B63C19_zpsbosut6wj.jpg[/img]

Load dumped. Lightweight Mode and time to take down a stand I have avoided moving because of it's size.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...-9A87-D6CA29F23BDE_zpsokoyjs2h.jpg[/img]

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
GB1

blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

What I liked about this set up was that the 24" height is fixed and not going to change depending on what bag is used. That just makes overall comfort uniform and consistent. Using the frame only and the Cargo Panel it really drew in the weight close to the center of gravity and you can get. Adding additional pockets or other items to the back of the pals webbing is great! If you need it it's there. If not oh well. To me the added weight if the pals version is worth the multiple uses. Didn't expect my insulated bladder pouch would work so well with it!
The Mystery Ranch day pack lid is too handy not to use in this set up. Easily attaches to the frame and the buckles on the lid mate with each other so you can find any old place to clip it in if not able to use the lid as a lid is typically used.

[Linked Image]

Tree stand loaded up makes that water bladder look small!!
[Linked Image]

Back View
[Linked Image]

Very stable and road very comfortable with the frame in between my back and that static steel mess called a tree stand.
[Linked Image]

The length of the cargo panel as well as the strap lengths outperformed my other set up. The cargo panel is 36" long and has 3 different top length connections to use. Can me short, medium or long depending in use. I used the medium length when hauling the mineral and the long length when attaching the tree stand. I also was able to change the side attachment heights to match what worked with each load. It took minimal time to switch out their locations. Sometimes I get in a hurry and try and make a uniform set up work but this type of connections is just too customizable NOT to take advantage of.

The pack frame has really surprised me with the versatility, comfort, lighter weight than my previous used frame.

I am very happy with the investment in this system. What I like is that it can do so much but isn't generally too bulky and not much larger than a typical day pack.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for reading my experience so far with this set up. I am not disappointed at all!!

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Nice Pack, only thing I wish I may have considered was the 24 inch stays, I went 26. 24 may have kept the pack more at shoulder level.

oh well, still my favorite Pack.

blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm on the shorter size so 26 would have been overkill for me I think. Great pack for sure.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Fantastic packs, and a great company to buy from. To me, no other pack maker comes close. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Brent

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've really like how my older version Longhunter Guide has worked. That said, I'd have went the Duplex route had it been available at the time. Thanks for sharing the pics showing your use.

blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Breaking back down to the raw frame to pack bag back up. I could very easily use the cargo panel for my 45lbs walks/hikes but miss Timberline Bag ha ha!!

[Linked Image]

While I was in the process of breaking down the parts to the bare frame this screamed out at me for simple quick use with the water bladder only if ever needed.

[Linked Image]

But then again if your going to run bare bones may as well throw on the day pack lid. Hell. Need to haul something??? Get that cargo panel back on dang it!

Love the options Kifaru!

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Kifaru frame is the best thing on the market, IMO. I do not care for any of their packbags, but the frames rule. A Dana Shortbed will carry more weight, with greater comfort, but you can't buy one of those anymore.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I tried the Dana and as much as I tried I could never love it and went back to what I was using at the time. Different strokes I guess

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My guess is it isn't different strokes but different anthropometry. We ain't all built alike.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.