Print Thread
Hop To
B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's one I've been custodian of for a good while. I am grateful to the past custodians who have also cared for it and not altered it in any way. It shows mellow use and I'm sure it has a few stories to tell. The bore is in excellent plus shape - a good indicator of how well it has been cared for. M1892's with special order features (i.e. 2/3 magazine) are not real common and this feature adds to aesthetics for me. I think if I were ordering this rifle over 100 years ago I would have ordered it with this length magazine.

I like Winchester's in this condition - nice but I'm not frightened to take it out of the safe.

[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very nice, by geez, that's damn near as pretty as anything I've seen here.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Interesting '92 boltman. Have you had it lettered to confirm its special order status? I'm not inferring it isn't, but with all the put together '92s I've seen it would increase it's sell-ability and value if it were verified.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
boltman

Thank you for posting this gun and the write up. It looks like a nice 1892. I mostly read the Savage forum but today I've read a lot of interesting posts on this one.

The most desirable old guns to me are those that were used, but well taken care of. I look at your gun and see the wood isn't beat up. It also has a really good bore. Some other things I like to see on a gun are clean screw heads and barrel dovetails and sights that aren't hammered on. My favorite guns meet all those simple criteria. Caliber or this or that special option aren't as important to me as those basics.

One of the 1894 rifles I have came out of southern MN. Octagon barrel and rifle butt. 30 WCF. It has the normal carry wear on the receiver and a bit of the original wood finish is worn off too. The bore is great. I like to think some farmer carried it for many years deer hunting. Maybe he was one of those guys who got his deer every year; one of the guys I used to hear about who didn't fire off a lot of shots, but when he shot there was always a dead deer laying there. And when he brought the gun back home he took care of it. Those are the hard guns to find in my book. Thanks for posting a picture of one of them.

B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
Interesting '92 boltman. Have you had it lettered to confirm its special order status? I'm not inferring it isn't, but with all the put together '92s I've seen it would increase it's sell-ability and value if it were verified.

The serial is after 380,000... so like nearly two-thirds of the Model 92's out there, there is no factory ledger information available. On this one, the only special order feature is the 2/3 magazine. Had it been altered (i.e. from full magazine), there would be signs of this on the barrel. The finish wear also "adds up" so I don't think anyone looking at it would have concern that it wasn't shipped this way.

I have seen a lot of put together 92's and 94's.

IC B2

B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Brad - thanks for the compliment on my carbine. During the near 11 years I have been on the campfire, I have primarily hung out on the Savage forum.

That .30 WCF you describe - the original owner probably got a deer every year but was also likely able to make a box of cartridges last 20 years smile

I agree with what you like in rifles. For me, dings in the metal (and sometimes the wood) in the area of the rear sight is a turn-off.

I also collect Marlin levers. One of the blasted problems with the (rare) take-down variation is so many are dinged up on the underside of the receive near the take-down lever frown I have passed on many of these for that factor alone.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What a gorgeous '92! You seldom see them with that amount of finish. Like you, I love the short-mag versions. They carry and point SOOOO nice and just look amazing IMHO. I was going to try for a "Grand Slam" (short mag '94's in each caliber) until I got looking at what 32-40's were going for! Here's my '94's. They're clean honest guns but without the condition of yours.

[Linked Image]

yooper

Last edited by yooper35; 05/08/14.
B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yooper - good to hear from a kindred soul. Here is a pair of .32 spl. carbines. Magazine's are not as short as yours, one being 2/3 and the other 3/4. By the way, I really enjoy special order features on SRC's. Checkered pistol grip stocks fit that desire for me wink Oh, and the Lyman long receiver sight is also a favorite.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is like "show'n'tell"! Neat. I wish I could invite you over to see the rest of the herd.

[Linked Image]

I also wish I had good photo's like yours. This one is in 38-55. It's too "new" to letter, but I haven't lettered many anyway due to the cost. Most are plain-jane's.
yooper

B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Wow - any .38/55 in a carbine is neat - rare to see one with pistol grip stock and of course, it has that sight I like - a lot. Very neat piece. Love the original swivels. Looks like a heck of a deep woods deer killer.

IC B3

T
T
I love the look of the 2/3 magazine also. Just out of curiosity, how many rounds does the magazine hold. I'm also curious on how the magazine is held in place.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1moredeer, 1234, 1minute, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,103
Posts18,464,194
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.