Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Over-emphasis on armament, IMHO.

What the OP really needs is what I had about 10 years ago. An elk hunt made easy... smile

A friend who lives in the area handed me a map marked "elk here" at 11,000 feet on the contour line, and gave me his brother willing to "guide". (These guys are annually successful on elk as bow-hunters).

i.e. " we will go about 3 miles up this FS trail to the big boulder, then turn left and go up-slope. Can't miss it".

We didn't. A .260 with 140 gr. factory loads at 150 yards did DRT on the cow. 10,500 elevation, up from 7500 at trailhead)

OK - Robert did go with me, spotted the elk, and did most of the dragging 1500 feet elevation wise down this rocky dry watercourse (we pitched her over a couple 20' dry water falls on the way) until we hit an impassable deadfall, where we dressed and quartered her. 75 feet from the trail, 2 miles from the trailhead. Damn, I hate those long packs to a decent trail out... Especially since I'd been living at 12 feet above sea level. And forgot my knife at the gas- heated cabin we'd stayed in at trail head... But Robert had two knives. He shared.

I'm thinking I might go back this fall- at 65, I'm only 10 years older, and Robert is only 15 lbs heavier... (I'm not). He and my brother couldn't catch chit for salmon or halibut up here in Kenai last week...

I'm thinking he needs the exercise to loose that belly fat.. A guy's gotta look out for his buddies...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Great story, las! Elk hunting is addictive.

In regard to the thread, I'm looking for a good elk for my .308 bullet.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Neck that Barrett down to .243 with a Premium 100 gr bullet, and yer good to go.. smile

Or, one could learn to hunt, in preference to lobbing them out there...where practicable.

I have to admit, with a known, laser-ranged finding, and the 17 inch bbled '06, or the feather-weight 700TI bbled Rem 725 in .260, I'm ok out to 400 yards with a solid rest.. Not happy, just OK. (The last 9 caribou have gone 200, mostly 350 and out...some with the below, - tho lucky range sans range-finder guess don't hurt none either...)

I'll push the much customized 10 lb Mauser 98 in '06 with 27 inch heavy barrel to 500, ditto the (mostly) factory standard Ruger .338 WM. (I've ranged both to 700 - and I'm not going there - not on animals.

If the Leopold 800si range finder isn't reading it, I'm not shooting at it (it's good to 550 or so, under field conditions)... But then the ATV or snow machine is packing the Mauser wt., it's not a hiking rifle - and I'm not hiking more than 5 or 6 miles per day with the also 10 lb .338. (When one comes upon 10 lbs of steaming brown bear poo in heavy cover, it's a mite more comforting than that short-barreled '06, tho likely not much more effective if the fit hits the Shan... and either kills moose quite effectively).

As JJHack says, there's about 100 things can happen at long range. Only one is good.

With skill, practice, and time to set up the shot, one can cut the odds at long range somewhat. Until Murphy shows up. And the SOB will, at the most inconvenient of times.

My idea of the perfect shot is powder burns on the hide, but one must of course be prepared for something beyond that.... YMMV as to where that is.

My best shot to date was with the .338, pushing a hand loaded 275 gr Speer GS on a spike moose at 16 yards.... head, on, just under the chin into the spine. Damned near took his head off.... A bit of over-kill, perhaps..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
las -

I have to admit to a certain amount of jealousy regarding you guys that live in AK and get to hunt moose - at least until I think about the pack out. An elk is enough for me. Somehow I keep managing to shoot them when I'm alone and have to pack them out by myself. Gets harder every year.

Really enjoyed your descriptions and can empathize with a multi-mile pack on elk. Some years ago my hunting buddy and I took three elk down on a mountain top. No horses, ATVs or even a game cart. We could see my truck three miles away and 1,000 feet down. Thank God for cold temps that year. We hung the meat, packed out the straps and filets and spent three additional days hiking back up to the top and boning and packing out the meat. Lesson learned, we won't be doing that again! The average pack for my last six elk is 390 yards, the longest being 1100 yards last year and the shortest, in 2007, being 0 yards (i.e. drive up and lift into the truck bed).

No wonder I find antelope hunting more and more appealing. $34 each for WY does, up to 4 tags, easy packs even without a cart, generally good weather and oh, so tasty!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rugerdiggs
Originally Posted by Fotis
190 LRAB

Is that a hunting bullet? Thanks James

YES

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/99...oat-tail-box-of-100?cm_vc=ProductFinding

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, batch, 257robertsimp, 14 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.