Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you had a great trip JG

4 weeks left for my wife and I

What kind of binocular apparatus is that you are wearing? I like it.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool report. Congrats!!

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Very cool, thanks for posting. I never understood the appeal of hunting zebra until I did it on my only trip to date in 2009. Hartmans are an amazing hunting experience.

Good luck with the search for kudu.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JG,

Unfortunately, I can no longer read and enjoy your posts. This type of behavior of posting photos and reports of your Namibian safari, is just unacceptable!

So until, you repent for your sins, I will only say, "YOU SUCK!"

On a serious note, glad you had a great time! When you going back? laugh

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Awesome report so far. Thank you for sharing. Kevin

And we know that all things work for the good for those who love The Lord, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8-28
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wonderful JG! wink smile

Tell us more!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JG, Great hunt. You'll be back, for sure :-)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Can't wait to read more! One day, lord willing, that will be me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh my, JG, you DO suck! grin
Can't wait to read the rest of it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Ha! Thanks for the support guys! Sometimes I'm glad to suck......and this is one of them! Anyway I'm gonna throw something at you guys, and you mega experienced guys please check this out......

One day we're after a blue wildebeest, and the usual spot from the truck, plan the stalk, make the mile long stalk drill applies here as well. However, as you guys know there is lots of stopping along the way to monitor animal position, behavior, attentiveness, etc, and that's what we were doing. We hear this funny scratching sound in the short brush we were in and it got our attention. Shortly this prehistoric creature appears about 15 feet away.....

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

I had not the first clue what this creature was, but it kept creeping closer, closer, and closer, until finally it was literally at my feet, sniffing of my pants legs, boots, and snatching the little bugs off of me, and then he moved very slightly and did the same thing to the PH (green pants guy).......

Turns out it was a pangolin....the owner had only seen 3 of them in 24 years of owning the property. What a cool deal it was to get so up close and personal. He stuck around about 3-4 minutes then just slowly walked away.

Anyway, we finished the stalk on this wildebeest and once again I was able to anchor him with one shot, quartering to. He whirled and fell over within 75 yards and was stone cold dead when we walked up to him.

That afternoon we were able to complete another successful stalk on another blue wildebeest. We had about an hour and a half to try to find a big kudu bull but had no luck.

HEY INGWE........I remember last year giving you a ration of crap over your comments on how delicious zebra steaks were (according to you). Lo and behold, for dinner that night we were served up this..........some absolutely outstandingly delicious zebra filets, washed down with cold WH lagers of course! Once again....the Poobah spoke, and was 100% correct.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for sharing the photos and the experience, I've been watching for your next post and it keeps getting better!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Great write up!!! Super glad you are enjoying it. One of the good guys around here and having a great hunt!

I still can't get warmed up to hunting Africa, though I guess I'd like to see it once. But I"m glad that a lot of y'all seem to have a great time over there!

Do love seeing the pictures. Keep that up if you can.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And I've never seen an African Armadillo until now. Thats way cool.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you pick up the pangolin, it rolls itself into a ball to protect itself. Also, the local lore is that touching a pangolin is suppose to bring good luck!

Really cool, as you saw a critter most don't see. And to have it come up to you and eat bugs off your pants, awesome! grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
JG,
Looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing the story and pics...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider

HEY INGWE........I remember last year giving you a ration of crap over your comments on how delicious zebra steaks were (according to you). Lo and behold, for dinner that night we were served up this..........some absolutely outstandingly delicious zebra filets, washed down with cold WH lagers of course! Once again....the Poobah spoke, and was 100% correct.

And was there ever any doubt? wink

And odd that you mentioned the pangolin. One of the dogs in my program showed an enormous talent for scent work so I contacted friends at Working Dogs for Conservation, they snapped him up and he is training in anti-poaching efforts in Zambia. Getting trained on ivory, rhino horn, spotted cat hides, and�..pangolin. Seems the little fellows are in trouble cause the chinese like to grind them up for 'medicine'...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn't Capstick say that his favorite African meat was young bull giraffe and zebra was a close second?

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The next few days were filled with trying to find a big kudu bull, shooting another springbuck, a really nice oryx bull

...a couple of nice red hartebeest like this one

...and a few jackals. I was also able to kill a couple of broken horned impala rams that he wanted to cull out of the herd. Those impala are one sleek animal and really fun to hunt. I do not, for some unknown reason, have any impala pics. The tracker was taking the pics so I'll blame it on him.

We went over to the neighbor's place one day to try and find another oryx to cull. Most of you know that oryx are not jumpers, they choose to go under the fences instead. There were quite a few oryx on this place, and I found it quite odd that the landowner had built numerous "alleyways" into his slick wire fences to allow the oryx and hartebeest an easier time getting through(under actually) the fence.....

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for taking us along on your hunt and success!!

Great pics and animals.

May there be many more!!

God Bless,
David B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on a great hunt.I still cannot believe you killed all that stuff with a 7mag grin

Last edited by baldhunter; 05/11/14.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 44automag, 5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 805 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,384
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.