B
i'm not here to make judgement calls

GB1

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U

Originally Posted by T_O_M
Hmmm ... There's what worked for someone once, then there's what you can count on. Not always the same. I tend towards the conservative side, even "overkill", 'cause tracking down "underkill" and packing it back up out of a canyon sucks.

Tom

Very well said Tom. This is how I think about it as well.
Overkill- as in getting that warm fuzzy feeling because you know you are WELL within range...

Last edited by uinta; 06/15/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Wow, lots of advice from a bunch of "elk hunters" that havent shot many elk...or a 7-08.

I've seen several killed the last few years with the 7-08 and 140 accubonds from 2 different rifles...one has a MV of 2910, the other 2870.

My wife shot this bull at 202 yards, broadside. The bull slowly turned at the shot, then stumbled about 30 feet downhill and flopped over dead.

[Linked Image]

I was impressed enough with the 7-08 I built one last year and got to test it out a bit.

I shot these 2 elk in about 60 seconds. Shot this cow first at 130-140 yards broadside. She kicked and ran about 20 yards and died.

[Linked Image]

This bull stepped out when I shot the cow, and I thought about it for a minute before I shot him at 170 yards, hard quartering away. He slumped at the shot and made it about 30 yards into the timber and died.

[Linked Image]

Next I headed to Montana to hunt with my Dad and Brother. My Dad was interested in my 7-08, so shot this cow at 230 yards quartering slightly away. Made it a whopping 25 yards before hitting rubber legs street and dropped.

[Linked Image]

My Brother took this 6 point bull the following day at 487 yards, again quartering away. Found the bullet, a 140 grain accubond (only one I've found so far), on the point of the off shoulder. The bull made it a whopping 25 yards.

[Linked Image]

Heres the recovered bullet:

[Linked Image]

Finally, I was whitetail deer hunting in Western Montana and bumped into 2 bulls. I hated to waste a day of deer hunting, but took this bull with a hard quartering toward shot at 70 yards, hitting the point of the on side shoulder. The bull left a massive blood trail and I found him about 15 yards from where I shot him.

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/elkhunting/websize/DSC00160.JPG[/img]

My conclusion is that the 7-08 is a very capable choice for elk.

I've killed many elk with the 30/06 and 338 and they work great as well. But, for those thinking the 7-08 is marginal for elk, you need to take perfect shots, you have to be within 200 yards, etc. demonstrates to me that they havent seen it used much on elk.

I'm sure some will still argue all day long about how marginal the 7-08 is for elk...

Carry on.

What are the build spec on your 7mm-08? Looks great.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This thread was an entertaining read, until the bullshit about only guys who can't shoot can't shoot magnums well. Some of you need to read what you've written to see if you actually agree with it.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
STS45,

Excellent shooting.

I am very intrigued by the 7MM-08 Rem. It seems to perform like the 7x57. The 7x57 has been killing big game the world over for better than a hundred years. The 7MM-08 is a short-action whereas, I believe, the 7x57 needs a long action.

I firmly believe that the 7MM-08 Rem is be best big game cartridge to come down the pike since the .280 Rem.

There is magic in .284 caliber projectiles.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SansSouci
I am very intrigued by the 7MM-08 Rem......

I firmly believe that the 7MM-08 Rem is be best big game cartridge to come down the pike since the .280 Rem.

Classic.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

Classic.

I'm glad I'm able to teach you something; otherwise all you'd know is ATV elk hunting with a .300 Rem Ultra that compensates for your lack of hunting skills.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Show some pix of your skills, soozy..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
This thread was an entertaining read, until the bullshit about only guys who can't shoot can't shoot magnums well. Some of you need to read what you've written to see if you actually agree with it.

HuntnShoot,

It's not about shooting magnums well. It's about utility of magnums.

I'm good with what anyone wants to use. However, I have met very few hunters who have been able to shoot magnums well. I have seen hunters flinch like hell while sighting in .300 Win Mag from a bench. I'd bet that you have, too.

One of the best hunters I knew used a custom made .243 Win. He shot a crow out of the air with it. He was probably the be natural shot I knew. While he had other guns, he hunted only with his custom .243 Win. On one deer hunt, he brought only 3 cartridges with him.

People buy magnums for a lot of reasons. But they will not kill any deader than a 7MM-08 Rem provided bullets from either stop oxygenated blood flow to a animal's brain. When that happens, animals WILL die. Biology, not bullets, is controlling.

The absolutely most miserable rifle I have ever fired, and I have fired more that a few magnums, was a .45/70 Guide Gun with max hand loads and 400 grain Speer bullets. I have a feeling that three shots from that gun will have you rethinking big guns in a hurry.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Show some pix of your skills, soozy..

I can't. You might recognize her.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing?

Not surprised...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All a man needs for Elk Hunting in the Timber is a 94 Winchester in 30-30

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

Classic.

I'm glad I'm able to teach you something; otherwise all you'd know is ATV elk hunting with a .300 Rem Ultra that compensates for your lack of hunting skills.

I think this is a good example of what's known as "projecting."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

HuntnShoot,

It's not about shooting magnums well. It's about utility of magnums.

I'm good with what anyone wants to use. However, I have met very few hunters who have been able to shoot magnums well. I have seen hunters flinch like hell while sighting in .300 Win Mag from a bench. I'd bet that you have, too.

One of the best hunters I knew used a custom made .243 Win. He shot a crow out of the air with it. He was probably the be natural shot I knew. While he had other guns, he hunted only with his custom .243 Win. On one deer hunt, he brought only 3 cartridges with him.

People buy magnums for a lot of reasons. But they will not kill any deader than a 7MM-08 Rem provided bullets from either stop oxygenated blood flow to a animal's brain. When that happens, animals WILL die. Biology, not bullets, is controlling.

The absolutely most miserable rifle I have ever fired, and I have fired more that a few magnums, was a .45/70 Guide Gun with max hand loads and 400 grain Speer bullets. I have a feeling that three shots from that gun will have you rethinking big guns in a hurry.

I agree that magnums are all about utility. I have seen that first-hand. The common talk here at the fire is that shots are unethical past a certain distance. The utility of magnums rarely comes into play within the distance usually named. I've shot several, and I've seen many shot, usually poorly. Not coincidentally, every rodeo that I've seen was due to poor shooting by someone with a magnum of some flavor. And I know and have known of many guys that can shoot big boomers well. Many of those guys are on forums like Long Range Hunting. Many are here.

I admit that at a certain recoil and noise level, practice doesn't make me better; it makes me flinch more. I know where that level is, and I shoot a lot, right up to that level. Every now and then I'll take a few shots with something bigger. I generally shoot those few well. If I go for a few groups, it gets less pretty. I submit that everyone has a recoil tolerance level, and that practice only changes that to a certain point. For some of us, that point is below magnum calibers. That doesn't mean that I am a poor shot. Just that I know my limitations. I wish some others had a desire to know theirs. I for one don't think more power gets it done better, especially if we are talking hunting.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The biggest rodeo in elk hunting I ever saw was a guy shooting a 6mm.. He hit big bull numerous times.. Shooting and chasing for several miles.. The bull finally got across into another unit and fell dead in little draw just out of the shooter's sight.. A spike stood up in a little draw after the last shots.. Our nimrod fired again and hit the spike in the ear!! Lucky for us the warden saw the entire episode... The guy was fined and lost his licenses for three years.. Just because you choose to
shoot a pip squeak rifle doesn't make you a super hunter.. The very best hunters I have known both shot magnums much of the time.

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My dad and his best friend hunted with 6mms for almost 2 decades together, each using a 6mm Rem. My dad moved on, but his friend stayed with the 6. Eventually he got each of his 4 boys 6mms. No one ever had any problems hunting elk, deer, antelope, mtn goat. 100 gr Nosler Partitions handloaded. Shooting well is, of course, prerequisite, regardless of caliber. If the guy shooting the bull had hit it well in the vitals on the 1st shot, the bull would not have gone miles.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
During the late 70's, I went to Colorado year after year with a family. There were 8 bulls killed with the 7/08 with the lowly 140g Sierra sp flat base. Some of the guys carried 338's, 375's, and one 458 Win.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killed 2 elk and 2 bison with various 7mm-08's. Works fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
anyone have a load for the 7-08 and berger 168 VLD?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You jokers are all over gunned.

Based on the lone elk I've killed (cow, @ 150 yds drt) you don't need anything over a .260 with 140 gr. Corelokt factory loads.... smile

I'm fixing to take a moose with it, just because....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.