Print Thread
Hop To
B
Buck_ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
As a matter of fact, I've been in a lot of them where rancher and BLM were on the same side, like the one below.

[Linked Image]

A wildfire in Nevada was heading for a remote ranch where two firefighters had just been seriously burned trying to save it. There was a group of Alaska Smokejumpers and Boise Smokejumpers (both BLM bases) standing by in a nearby Winnemucca, Nevada. For some reason, instead of us parachuting to the fire they sent us by van. When we got close the "civilian" driver saw the flames whipping across the road and decided she wasn't getting paid enough, so one of the jumpers took the wheel and we drove through the narrow flame front and got to the ranch shortly before the fire hit.

The only sensible option was to back fire, so that's what we did. The bright red dot in the extreme lower left in the above photo is one of the fusees we were using to light the backfire. Luckily it worked perfectly and we managed to hold the line. The rancher lady hugged each of us with tears running down her cheeks. The ten of us secured four more miles of fireline that night. We worked that day, all night, and until 8 PM the next day, a 35 hour shift.

We got our butts kicked plenty of times as well. I took the shot below from the plane just before we jumped this Nevada fire. We ended up dragging all our gear into a clearing as the fire burned all around us.

[Linked Image]

There are, no doubt, plenty of buffoons in the federal government, but there is also a whole lot of people trying to do a good job for the public. In considering the federal government, it's important not to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Smokejumping

GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good post.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
God Bless and Keep ALL of you and your crews, Mister.

May you always be upwind, and have the wind at your back when lighting off those potentially treachorous BFs.

May Cool fresh Water be yours always, and Teeth achingly COLD beer be found at your R & R sites.

May your nose be clear of the mornings, and the first crap you spit out not too dark.

Been a LOT of years since I worked on a fireline, and never jumped,

...can damned sure rlate to your job, though.

BRAVO !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball
Good post.

\
mighty good post

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Actually, I feel sorry for the good folks who work for the govt, cuz when it come to them or the politicians, I know who will get thrown under the bus.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dang allergies.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good post Buck.

Go on any new adventures?

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A positive note, on the 'fire, about the .gov?

Someone alert Ripley's!

Buck, thanks for your time and efforts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Buck_
As a matter of fact, I've been in a lot of them where rancher and BLM were on the same side, like the one below.

There are, no doubt, plenty of buffoons in the federal government, but there is also a whole lot of people trying to do a good job for the public. In considering the federal government, it's important not to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

No doubt. Same with cops. Same with...teachers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just read Young Men and Fire by Norman Maclean a few months ago. Brave men, sad story.

Thanks for your service Buck.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
Just read Young Men and Fire by Norman Maclean a few months ago. Brave men, sad story.

Thanks for your service Buck.

that was a great book! His son followed it with "fire on the mountain" about the South Canyon tragedy in 1994.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It was by the Bundy Ranch.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good on you and all your kind! Great job! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great post! My Dad packed out smokejumpers in central Idaho in the mid 50s'. That fostered his love for mules and dislike for horses.

If you're ever in the Ely, NV area we'll buy your crew a brew.

Interesting site on Nev wildfire issues, Smoked Bear LLC, not sure how to post the link.

Last edited by weaselsRus; 05/17/14.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
B
Buck_ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks folks!

My smokejumper days are over. Nobody owes me any thanks although I appreciate the sentiment nonetheless. It was a great job and it left me with many good memories and friends.

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by poboy
It was by the Bundy Ranch.

?????

pretty hard to fight a fire in creosote bush and cheat grass. If started, it would be in the next state before anyone got there.

With the grazing, and the 6" annual rainfall, probably not enough fuel to carry a fire around Bundy ranch.

I have seem sign of a fire up on Grand Wash Bench, looked like it went fast, through the blackbrush and cholla.

nothing to fight, really, just watch it go.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great post Sir, those crews don't get near the recognition they deserve. I fought some minor wildfires down here as a volly with the PC-CH VFD as a very young man. Those folks that do the big ones have all my admiration, I was NEVER even near their class of FF!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Great job, Buck. Respect.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.