Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah K, but you even go after them with falling block single-shot rifles, so what the heck? We're supposed to accept what you've got to say about big bears & rifles? Crazy! grin

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 358 Norma, previously known as a 338 Win M77 prior to its appointment with the reamer, got left 3/4 of a mile of deep, soft tundra prior to the 9.3 caliber #1-S bear. What can I say? That which carries and wields well......well, those guys who carried M94s all those (these?) years weren�t fools. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the hunter can shoot anything from a 270 with 150 Partitions on up will easily do for any Brown or Grizzly
and if the hunter can't then they will have all manner of problems with whatever caliber they choose.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Although I have never and probably will never shoot one I think
Phil Shoemaker Just ended all the speculation right now!
I do believe he knows his buisness.
Speculation Party is over Guys!

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wow! I was happy with the notion of the .30-06 for grizz... But I dunno Phil, advocating a varmint rifle... grin

Awesome!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GuyM
Wow! I was happy with the notion of the .30-06 for grizz... But I dunno Phil, advocating a varmint rifle... grin

Awesome!

A guy with all this experience says the 270 will kill brown bear.

But on here, the cartridge sucks for anything bigger than a jackrabbit.

This place is hilarious. cry

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
In an old article about Brown bears the author visited with a number of guides.. It seems the real difference in power came when I guy moved to the .375..

Bob, When I first came to this valley, one of the old time Alaska brown bear and polar bear guides, had a ranch here.. I had the good luck to visit with him several times, and also do some hunting with him.. I know it sounds crazy, but his backup gun was a .270, at least on a couple polar bears...

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Awesome!

Yes it is! I was wondering when and if Phil would chime in. I expected his usual sage advice of the .30-06 and good, heavy, Nosler Partitions as an acceptable minimum.... Then he changes the game on me and say's that a .270 is acceptable! We all know they bounce off anything bigger than a rockchuck! grin

Phil, thanks for weighing in.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just got back from my spring bear trip where I helped a young man take his first brown bear who was hunting with an AR-10 in .308 Winchester using 155 Scenars. It is a very capable combination and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or use it again.........

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[/quote]

Awesome!

I don�t know.....I think it might be a kid�s rifle.I know I�ve played this before but I�ll play it again to try to help reinforce the concept of �too little, too few�.

[Linked Image]

This kid, all of 10 years.....alright, 10 years plus 2 weeks if that matters, and with a single shot (for kids, you know laugh ). It is a bit bigger than a jack rabbit, but then, our jackrabbits are quite large.

I hope I�ve helped........ grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I just watched Riley whack a modest brown bear with a 25-06 and those nasty little 80gr TTSXs... Shot through both legs and the heart before leaving, it left a Stevie Wonder trail into the alders. That was just today.

Same combo used effectively on a huge-bodied bull moose last fall. Guessing a 270 might cut it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[/quote]

Awesome!

I don�t know.....I think it might be a kid�s rifle.I know I�ve played this before but I�ll play it again to try to help reinforce the concept of �too little, too few�.

[Linked Image]

This kid, all of 10 years.....alright, 10 years plus 2 weeks if that matters, and with a single shot (for kids, you know laugh ). It is a bit bigger than a jack rabbit, but then, our jackrabbits are quite large.

I hope I�ve helped........ grin

Heart attack huh?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Never did it myself but a number of old mentors have pulled it off on interior grizzly and brown bear with a 270. Bullets (to be very specific)were 130 NPT,160 NPT,and 130 Bitterroot.

One among many reasons why I have to blink when someone says the cartridge is lacking somehow in the killing department.

I'm a bit more traditional and brought a 375 and 338 when I went up after them;but goes to show that even brown bears don't live long with jagged holes through heart and lungs.

Klik those are indeed big jackrabbits!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Well, I just watched Riley whack a modest brown bear with a 25-06 and those nasty little 80gr TTSXs...

That�s �cause the 25 still has the scary �aught-six� on the end. Everyone knows the 270 would work better if it had been a 27-06 instead. grin (And what a lovely sound it makes when uttered too! eek )

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Heart attack huh?

Nah, it just lost its prime! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
27-06 ???

man I gotta get me one of them hummers

I think there's room in the safe

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Heart attack huh?

Nah, it just lost its prime! grin

Tell the lad that my 15yo daughter says that was "cool"...she is sitting here talking my ear off! smile

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
More than a couple of years ago Layne Simpson wrote an article titled" What 83 dead brown bears taught us" seems he had records from an Outfitter for brown bear hunts. As Ircc, LS said it took fewer small caliber rounds per bear than large caliber ones , simply because the small caliber guys could shoot well and better than guys armed with bigger carts. Phils advice would be good enuf for me he's BTDT. Magnum Man

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
7mm-08, you don't even have to aim!

God Bless America!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
More than a couple of years ago Layne Simpson wrote an article titled" What 83 dead brown bears taught us" seems he had records from an Outfitter for brown bear hunts. As Ircc, LS said it took fewer small caliber rounds per bear than large caliber ones , simply because the small caliber guys could shoot well and better than guys armed with bigger carts. Phils advice would be good enuf for me he's BTDT. Magnum Man

Of all the writers, experienced hunters, and guides you could use to support ANY data on brown bears Lame Simpleton is the one that just pisses me off looking at the name.

His little piece about a wonderful huge brown bear he shot and left for the night in big brown bear country is about the most disgusting thing I have ever read... claiming the weather was blowing up and they "had" to get out (back to the nice comfy lodge) for safety reasons they returned to a bear that had been eaten by the other bears.

All because he had to get his hero shot in good light...

Contempt does not begin to sound strong enough to describe how I feel about him and that act...

Last edited by Sitka deer; 05/30/14. Reason: typo

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.