Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OK,a bud has the standard 12 gauge 26" Spanish two-trigger box-lock double FS, and I am trying to find info on the maker, Miguel Larranaga? Anyone know anything about this maker? It's a nice gun, actually decent though straight-grained wood, really nice case-colored receiver,and 'proofs' of some sort stamped over the barrels. In all honesty, in my ownership, it's not like the gun will be shot very much, it's life will be pretty easy, but I am concerned about what to look for in this type gun when considering buying...any suggestions or help?

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ask Chorizo.

Trust me.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Google is your friend.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"...standard 12 gauge 26" Spanish two-trigger box-lock double."

Found the following words at gunauction.com:

"Miguel Larranaga was a prolific manufacturer of durable double barrel-shotguns in the 1960s-1970s. The company was located at: Santa Ana 32, Placencia de Las Armas, Guipuzcoa, Spain. It was one of dozens of Spanish Basque area family-owned gun manufacturers."

What else is there to know? Does it shoot? Go shoot it and find out. There are guns by this maker available online at the usual sites. The ones I found ranged in price from $190 to $1399. Google the name to find them. If I were in your shoes, and I liked the gun, I would ring the barrels first, then buy it if they ring true. What's it worth? It's worth what you and your buddy, the seller, decide it's worth.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Please describe "Ringing the barrels", I am unfamiliar. Last time I "rang" anything, I had an AT&T wall phone and was asking out a certain young lady on a first date.............

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ringing the barrels means taking them off the shotgun, hanging the "bite" (where they attach to the hinge pin) on your finger, then tapping the barrels with something semi-hard. A penny will work, but you can also flick them with a fingernail. If the solder between the barrels and rib is still tight, they will ring like a bell. If the solder is coming loose, the sound will be dull and may include a buzz.

Loose solder can be repaired and isn't all that expensive, but not worth it on cheaper guns. Basque shotguns can vary in quality, even from the same maker.

Another basic check to make on any double is to remove the forend, but leave the barrels on the action. Grab the gun by the grip, with the barrels hanging down, and give it a good shake. If the barrels are slightly loose on the hinge, they'll rattle a little. You may not be able to hear it, but can feel it. This is less expensive to repair than the barrel/rib solder, but again not worth it on a cheap gun.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mr. Barsness, thank you! I seem to recall you discussing this in a recent article, when I heard the bit about the use of a penny. Thanks and I will try it!

_

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.