Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
are back in the blue bird nesting box. This makes the third year so I guess they get a homestead exemption from here on out.
They make good neighbors so I don't mind. smile

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Time for me to make another trip to Colemanland, as I've never seen flying squirrels before. I've seen you Mickey, and you're worth the trip alone!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mr. Coleman, do Flying Squirrels look the same as say, Pine, Fox or Gray Squirrels, or are they markedly different?

I'm not sure if we even have them here in the Ohio Valley..?

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very soft delicate fur. The one that was in our home had fur in a herringbone pattern.

Very nocturnal.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Just be glad their outside and not in your house. Their cute, but nasty as rats. They crap and urinate everywhere. We have had to eradicate them the past 2 years from the cabin at our hunting club.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MColeman
are back in the blue bird nesting box. This makes the third year so I guess they get a homestead exemption from here on out.
They make good neighbors so I don't mind. smile
When I lived on Long Island I used to see them gliding from tree to tree. Pretty cool to watch.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by J23
Mr. Coleman, do Flying Squirrels look the same as say, Pine, Fox or Gray Squirrels, or are they markedly different?

I'm not sure if we even have them here in the Ohio Valley..?

It's just plain ol' 'Mickey' or 'Mick'. Thanks. I'll try to post a picture I have of one in the box. They don't take well to disturbances so I probably won't open the box again. I was checking to see if blue birds had laid eggs and one jumped out and ran up the light pole. I hated that I disturbed them again.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a picture that I took last summer.
[Linked Image]
They have a stubby little tail and are really pretty small.

Last edited by MColeman; 05/18/14.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We have them here as I have found them frequently in Matern cubbies--but I have never seen one alive. I keep looking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kkahmann
We have them here as I have found them frequently in Matern cubbies--but I have never seen one alive. I keep looking.

The reason many poeple never see them is they are largely nocturnal

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snyper

It was a complete surprise to me when I discovered they were in this area. I'd never heard of any in my lifetime.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
supposedly they are in Montana but never seen one but we dont have a ton of nut trees......used to keep sugar gliders which are a small Australia possum that acts like a flying squirrel though has a different diet....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These pesky Ebert's out here eat the lining of the new tips/shoots on ponderosas - usually way up there - leave the ground around the tree littered with new growth chewed off. They fly too - vertically, in one direction. Well, maybe call it coasting - or falling.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I muzzleloader hunted out of my buddy's camp up in Sinnemahoning Pa one time. They had a big feeder hanging off the side of the cabin on it's second story catwalk. The flying squirrels would be on it every night. They'd glide into the feeder, you'd see it jiggle a bit outside the window, and they'd feed to their heart's content. Interesting little critters, and I enjoyed watching them very much.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by Snyper

It was a complete surprise to me when I discovered they were in this area. I'd never heard of any in my lifetime.

I was surprised to hear about them down your way too. I've only encountered them in the Coastal Plain over Charleston/Savannah way.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got this one on a trail cam this yr.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They remind me of our red squirrels in size and shape except the head is rounder and the fur is much softer.

I've mistakenly killed 2 flying squirrels in my life and still kick my butt for it. Now I make darned sure that what I'm targeting is a red squirrel and not a flying squirrel.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the middle of one night in the late 1930s, Dad heard an intermittent series of soft bumps back in the spare bed room. When he carried a lamp back there, he saw nothing moving. When he went back to bed, he heard the bumps again.

So he went back there without the lamp and just sat waiting there in the moon-lit bed room.

After a while, a flying squirrel � which had apparently dropped down the chimney � ran across the bed and launched itself toward the glass upper half of the door to the side porch. (The full moon in a cloudless sky made the outside almost as bright as day.)

The bump � bump were the squirrel hitting the door glass and the floor.

Dad opened the side-porch door and screen, left 'em open, and went back to bed.

No more soft bump � bump.

"Flying" squirrels are so nocturnal that they're seldom seen even where they're relatively plentiful.

That's too bad � because they're about the cutest little critters that we have in the wild. And I don't know of any way that they harm anything or bother anybody.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,901
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.