Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Dan_H
I test rode one of the new "fat" tire bicycles. expensive, but really nice. would work good for dirt trails.

Here's something a little cheaper. About $249 at WalMart/Target/Academy:

http://vanscyoc.net/blog/archives/1422-Mongoose-Dolomite-Fat-bike-First-Impressions.html

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I ride my Grizzly all over my 180 acre property all year and use it to fill corn feeders in the fall. There are several deer that actually come to the sound of the ATV.

I've never noticed a difference in deer sightings between sneaking in to the blind on foot and riding my ATV up to the blind and parking it within 10 feet of it. I often start seeing deer within 10 minutes of shutting off the ATV and have killed bucks within half an hour of doing so.

If I was hunting a new spot where motorized traffic was rare, I would probably become sneakier, but if the deer are acclimated to the regular sound of a motorized vehicle, I have never been able to detect a disadvantage to using one as long as it fits the regular pattern.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/07/14.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another thing to consider is practicality. On Saturday I put a total of 47 miles on my Honda Big Red at the camp, using a boom sprayer clearing out brush for shooting lanes and food plots. No way could an electric UTV do anything like this.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you run out of fuel with a gasser, you can siphon a bit from your buddy or even hike in with a couple canteens of it and get home. Run out of fuel with an electric, you can be in a world of hurt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by badger
Another thing to consider is practicality. On Saturday I put a total of 47 miles on my Honda Big Red at the camp, using a boom sprayer clearing out brush for shooting lanes and food plots. No way could an electric UTV do anything like this.

And I've got a John Deere tractor that will outdo the hell outta your Big Red.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Comparing a tractor to a 4 wheeler is kind of silly, they are so far apart in what thy are designed to do it ain't even funny.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

And your point is?

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Every day I'm riding a 4 wheeler on the farm taking feed out, checking fences, etc. I don't know how many are the same deer that are just used to it, but the 4 wheeler spooks them a lot less than me walking. I know they can hear/see the atv way before I get to them but they don't bounce off until I'm in their comfort zone. If I'm walking, as soon as I'm spotted they are hauling azz.

I think the impact of an atv on deer is minimal. If you think it's affecting deer you're hunting then you're driving it to close to where you're going to hunt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can cruise slowly by and watch but if you stop, the flags go up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

And your point is?

That you use them as they are intended. Where I whitetail hunt, carts are mandatory and they work. That's all.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 1,989 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.