Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
In case nobody mentioned it, I personally have had better terminal performance out of the flat base Hornady 100 grainer than the BTSP 100 grainer�.

YMMV

Correct.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
.243: After a 100 BTSP (don't remember the make) blew up on a fairly large WT's shoulder over thirty years ago, I switched to 100 NP for deer and the problems went away. I see no reason to change.

.30-06: Also, I had a 180 Interlock ( Light Magnum loading) come apart on a mule deer when it struck heavy bone. A follow up shot ended the mess. I feel that one was a fluke, as I bought a twenty five year supply of those because my Mauser liked them. Unfortunately, I'm down to the last box or so. There have been no other problems with that lot.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My family has killed a lot of large whitetails and hogs with the 100g Interlock with the load of 42.3g of H4350 and a win primer, it is very accurate. More than a few 200 lb whitetails have fallen to this load at ranges of 300 yards(Kansas) and a few in Nebraska.

Personally, I prefer the flat base version, but the rest of the family shoot boat tails.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think that they are both good, but the flat base seems to hold together a bit better. I reload them interchangeably depending on what I can buy and notice no difference in accuracy.

I load them right at 3000 fps from a 6mm Rem and they have performed well on white tails. I have killed over 100 deer with them out to about 400 yards with no complaints.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
In case nobody mentioned it, I personally have had better terminal performance out of the flat base Hornady 100 grainer than the BTSP 100 grainer�.

YMMV

+1

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ingwe, that's some funny stuff.

jt402, I'm stealing your signature as I feel is has contemporary relevance.

Good thread, thanks to all who posted information and experience.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, I'm building 2 rifles. Both are 6x47 Lapua.

One on an old Savage 10 action, and the other on a new Defiance action.

Anyway, I've purchased a bunch of different bullets in anticipation of loading up some rounds.

One of them is the 100 grn Interlock boatail soft point.

Does anyone have any experience with them in a 6x47L ?

One rifle is an 1:8 twist, the other is a 1:9.25 twist.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
What are your experiences with this bullet in the .243 Winchester? Its listed BC I'm surprising to see is higher (.405) than the Nosler 95 grain BT and the Hornady manual lists several 3K fps loads.

Thanks,
Expat

The Hornady 100 flat base was always my favorite bullet in the .243 so when the 100 gr. BTSP came out I had to give them a try( yes...Ive been reloading THAT long) Had them shed a couple jackets but I wouldn't have known that had I not been doing a post mortem.
They kill deer sized game just fine, though I went back to the flat base because of the jacket thing...until they quit making them, now Im on the 95NBT train.
If you like the 100 Horn btsp, by all means shoot it, as I said it kills deer sized game just fine, and isn't that what we expect out of a .243?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Back about 20 years ago we bought a small ranch that joined us on our N.W. corner,we were told there were some elk on the place they didn't know how many.when doing our annual game survey that fall we counted over 40 elk on that place, way more than we thought were there.we put a couple of protein feeders up there and game camera's, these elk were not in very good shape, and looked to be badly in bred.

we decided to cull as many as possible, taking all the bulls and about 20 cows off, only keeping a few young cows, knowing from all i have read about bullet proof elk,, I took my big gun .243 with 100 gr. bthp killed 20 cows and 5 scrub bulls,that winter with 26 shots. No 500-600 yrd shots most shots were in side of 250 yrds, did have one young bull that just stood there after a heart lung shot so shot him again, he took one step and fell over, first shot killed him he just didn't know it. thus 26 shots.RIO7

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This is the only bullet I have ever had completely come apart on the shoulder of a deer ! 50 yds broadside shot shoulder hit bullet made a crater but never penetrated the body cavity...still killed the deer she ran about 75 yards and fell over kicked around a bit and died...when we skinned her the bullet had hit the rear of the scapula and exploded leaving a huge bruise on her rib cage, I guess the blunt force killed her !

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The 95Ballistic is the brainchild of Gale Root. Gale was the Chief Ballistician for Nosler for many years ... he was (and is) a total .243 Winchester lover.

Gale designed the 95Ballistic for big game and he told me many times, "Steve, if there ever was a perfect big game bullet, it's my 95Ballistic."

I believe him. Besides designing the 95 as THE go-to big game bullet, he designed it as HIS bullet to cleanly kill large critters with.

Over the years, Gale cleanly killed many, many deer, lots of big elk and several nilgai with the 95Ballistic.

In fact, as I remember, Gale had it as a personal challenge to kill a "FIVE BUCK" bull elk every year. Every elk season, my buddy Gale would fill up his gas tank and travel out of Bend and into the Cascade Mountains. And there he would hkill an elk that was at least a 6X6 bull. And if he got back to Bend, filling his gas tank for UNDER five bucks, he'd met his own personal challenge.

The 95Ballistic is as good as big game bullets get in .243".

Gale also designed the 70Ballistic. It is a coyote/predator bullet with few equals. It is NOT a big game or deer bullet, although one of my biggest mule deer died to a 70Ballistic in about .000000001 nano-seconds when I clobbered him with my .243 Ackley Improved ... I literally never saw him go down; one second he was there and then he was gone ... Bang Flop Dead.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting story Steve, thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If I had known way back what I've known for a while now about the 243 and 95 BT I'd be the proud owner of a Browning Low Wall I passed on because it was a 243.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Steve this is good to hear out of the 95NBT. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I went to them when the 100 gr. Horn flat base was discontinued.( Though i still have a stash...) Only shot two critters with them that I can remember, a couple of Axis deer. Performance was spot on, and I plan to use them on more in a couple weeks.
It is a damn accurate bullet too.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Friend Ingwe,

Gale was a great man and a friend. I remember him "flying" different combinations and permutations of the 95 in what he called "The Government Ballistics Program."

He was so happy when he got it right.

For Gale, the 95 and the 70 were a personal thing. He was absolutely attached to the .243 Winchester and having developed what he truly believed were the perfect bullets for the two applications was HUGE.

Gale is still alive and kicking down in the SW somewhere. If I recall, his wife was a software designer and they moved to a place they love.

I miss him ... did I mention that he was a good guy? grin

Blessings,

Steve

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans, folks like that and our own JB make life's road a little less bumpy...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Cool beans, folks like that and our own JB make life's road a little less bumpy...

My friend, I could not agree more. Johnny and Eileen are simply the BEST.

By the way (and I've thought about this a lot), I've taken the liberty of sending you a PM of my next blog. It's about an experience in Africa and I thought you might enjoy it.

Your friend Steve

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The 100 gr. bthp have been hard to find the last year or so, we have switched over to the 95 gr. bt, they work. Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice write up on the 95gr BT Steve!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Indeed, a great write up and one that inspires me to give it a good look on some Oklahoma pigs and whitetails.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.