Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I still kick myself in the azz for not buying a 7600 that was re-bored (by JESS) to a 9.3x62mm cry.. A 35 whelen just sounds classy..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
9.3x62 ina Pump gun...that'd be way cool in the Piggy woods around here...instead of chopping them up with the big magazine TactiKool shooters all the New Kids are getting sweaty palms over.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I very distinctly remember only one guy in one of my hunting camps with a pump rifle. He got made fun of for missing a deer 5 times, not because he was shooting a Remington pump.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Friend of mine wants me to go on a guided elk hunt in Wyoming. I do not own a bolt rifle in an elk capable round. I do however have a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. Am I gonna look out of place out west with a pump gun?

Only if the others in camp are idiots. But practice with it plenty before you go to give the round and gun its due respect....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am ignorant to the rifle and the caliber. What does it weigh? If it weighs more than 7.5 pounds, I would get a lighter rifle......for backup! Just braying!

Last edited by Angus1895; 05/25/14.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gayest thread ever.

Don't make fun of me, I'm sensitive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Friend of mine wants me to go on a guided elk hunt in Wyoming. I do not own a bolt rifle in an elk capable round. I do however have a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. Am I gonna look out of place out west with a pump gun?

Why waste energy worrying about what others may think? The .35 Whelen is a fine elk cartridge. As long as the rifle is reliable and you shoot it well there us no reason not to take it.

On the other hand, this is an excellent opportunity to justify a new rifle. Just be aware that a new rifle likely won't make any difference as to your success or failure to harvest an elk.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Save your money and go knock one over with what you have!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The only possible drawback would be on log shots, over 300-350 yards.

The fact is, way more elk are killed at under 200 yards that over 300 yards.
You jump a good bull in timber, that big bore pump gun will serve you well.

MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Guides don't care what you bring on a hunt as long as you can shoot it well and safely. I have had a few guys from the east bring 760 pumps elk hunting and they worked fine. Two things to remember with a pump. Pumps don't fit in a sabbard very well and may be tight coming out, so do some practicing taking gun out of the sabbard. Also, guns ride in the sabbard with an empty cahamber. So make sure that the action is cocked and locked on an empty chamber before putting in the sabbard, so you don't work the slide going in and have a shell in the chamber coming out. Another thing is when your guide tells you to put a shell in, don't try to work the slide quietly. If you do and the action doesn't lock up, there will be no bang when the trigger is pulled. Good luck and practice with whatever gun you tke. Daryl.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The 760/7600 has a good rep for accuracy, in some cases about as good as a bolt gun.

In areas where semi-auto hunting rifles are banned, like Australia, the Rem Pump is sometimes referred to as the Aussie Machine Gun.

It's fast and accurate, hard combo to beat for a hunting rifle, especially where fast repeat shots are needed.

I don't have one, but do respect them.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shoot your elk dead with one shot, hard to argue with that. If they do give you crap about it just say you don't need it for killing your game but to clean up after the turds you hunt with. MM

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good answer, MM. I like that.

And, the "cool" factor of the .35 Whelen should offset negative vibes/comments about the 7600.

And, it IS hard to argue with success... cool

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Embarrassed about a pump? It would be a lot more embarrassing to use a high dollar custom rifle that you can't hit your own foot with. If you can shoot a good bullet accurately, there's nothing to be embarrassed about.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Props to you for spending your cash on experiences instead of yet another dust-collecting rifle ... the guides will probably find it refreshing. Kill your elk and leave a good tip and you'll probably be on their 'best client' list forever. Hope you have a great hunt!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tell them after you kill your's with one shot you MAY let them borrow it. (but of course you never will. smile )

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've killed more elk with a .35 whelen than any other cartridge. About perfect for elk hunting IMHO. My dad and all his buddies did all their hunting including lots of moose and some elk with Remingon pumps and semi-autos. All of that crew shot 30-06's. So I know from personal observation that your Remington pump 35W will do the job.
The only reservations I would personally have is as previously mentioned they must be pumped with authority when loading a round. That lack of quiet loading may be or may not be an issue in spot and stalk hunting with a guide and the usual empty chamber.
And the triggers are mushy and heavy on most Remington pumps, which a good smith can rectify.
That's it for flaws. they are accurate and deadly.
Have a good hunt!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Embarrassed about a pump? It would be a lot more embarrassing to use a high dollar custom rifle that you can't hit your own foot with. If you can shoot a good bullet accurately, there's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Absolutely. You would be subject to a lot more scrutiny by showing up with an expensive custom rig. That 7600 is a great choice for certain terrain and situations.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Those doggone Remington pumps are often very accurate, and if it's the rifle you often hunt with, you'll be accurate with it too.

Besides it's a Whelen... Bring it!

Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember as an older kid at elk scouting camp one year...one of the guys brought his new Browning 1885 to show off. Got to talkin' obnoxious, going on about how accurate his rifle was, and at some point made a comment about my old man's "piece of ch!t ruger 77". Guy kept going on, and offered to shoot groups at 100 yards, the winner to keep both rifles.

Potentially stupid mistake. The old man cloverleafed 130gr nosler partitions out of that old beat up 77 with the 4x leup. After some fuss, and others in the group holding the loudmouth accountable, he gave up the 1885.

The old man made him sweat it out over the weekend, but ended up giving it back.

One of my old man's sayings..."beware the man with one rifle...he probably knows how to shoot it". The old man could make that worn old "piece of ch!t ruger" sing.

Another story the old man used to tell... when he was a kid he was sitting with a group of hunters and an old indian guide "Jim" around the campfire. As it often does, talk went to the "best" caliber and rifles. At some point someone asked old Jim, "Jim, you've hunted and guided your whole life, what do you think?" Jim replied simply with a look and "any gun good, shoot'em good."

Being able to actually shoot your rifle will quiet even the biggest loudmouth.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 43 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.