OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
What is everybodys opinion on best reloading manual??? Thanks

"Sasquatch"
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Hodgdon/Barnes/Accurate/IMR websites. (free too)

If you are a "newbie" to reloading, the Lee and Hornady books are excellent at covering the whole process. All bullet makers offer excellent books as well.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is no best and many good ones. Then too there are how to books and data books. IMHO it's nice to start with Naramore and Sharpe for a fairly complete look how to including a historical perspective. It's a good idea to find a data manual that uses the components including bullet that will be loaded. Often since people tend to have their rifles and their game in mind choosing first a bullet of choice then buying a data manual associated with that bullet is a good way to start. If the first manual leads to a choice of a particular powder then follow up with a powder maker's data book and then a few more.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, Sharpe and Naramore books are interesting to us old hands but there is very little in them that will be helpful to a new guy.

As ClarkE says, there is no 'best'; if there were it would dominate the market and none do that.

Data from all the mainline sources has been carefully tested and it makes no real difference if your manual was published by a bullet, powder or tool maker. Changing the firearm it's used in has a much larger effect on any book's suggested loads than the bullet, primer, case, etc. After 'start' loads we have to work up to our own max depending on pressure signs and going to ANY book's max load without careful and methodical load development is a potential path to destruction.

Most of us will agree that the Lyman, Hornady and Lee manuals have perhaps the most clearly written and well illustrated basic instructions and lots of good loading data too. Hodgedon's manuals probably have the widest range of loading data.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by interthem
The Hodgdon/Barnes/Accurate/IMR websites. (free too)

If you are a "newbie" to reloading, the Lee and Hornady books are excellent at covering the whole process. All bullet makers offer excellent books as well.

these as well as 4 reload manuals are in my collection and I am always looking for one I don't have. Yes I use all of them and currently use at least 1 load from each of them.
Not all reloading books will publish the same loads and some will have different starting loads and max loads. In reloading it is all trial and error. find what works for you.

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I get the most info from Lymans. My fav to just read is A Square. I wish Ackley's manual was a little better laid out. I have a meduim sized book shelf with lots of reloading manuals. I use them all and back and forth.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always liked the Lyman best, but in the past 5 years or so, I have subscribed to the Load Data website. It is $30.00 annually and is always being updated by the powder and bullet manufacturers. There is a ton of info on the site. It is basically a compilation of all the reloading manuals out there.

I kind of always like to start my load work ups using data from the bullet mfg that I intend to use and go from there. I don't find the need to buy the newer version of every manual as pretty much all the newer loads that are pubished in them can be found on Load Data.

Last edited by 89tenbus; 11/05/12.

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have the ABC's of reloading,Lyman's 49th edition and Hornady's 9th edition. They have data on the guns I use and other good info in them I think.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old and outdated PET LOADS by Ken Waters is one of my favourites. It contains a lot of good information and interesting reading. One would have to look elsewhere for current cartridges, bullets and powders, but no further for the old standbys..

Hodgdon used to have a manual with Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester and Aliant powders all in the same book. I have used that one a lot over the years. Not sure what Hodgdon currently offers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are using Lee gear, then the Lee manual is a really good newbie's starter. And a good reference for an old hand too.

Nick Harvey's is excellent but may be hard to get.

I have old editions of Nosler, Speer, Hodgdon, Lee and old and new Lyman and recommend them all.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Depends on the Brand Bullet you use the most. The Hodgdon if you are going to use just one manual

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lyman's 49th addition is probably the best for a beginning reloader.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pet Loads and Lyman historically have been what I liked best. But lately I have been using Hodgdon powders a lot, so I look at their loads. I'd recommend a minimum of three manuals if you're getting serious.

Be aware that even the best manuals seem to have errors. I like to double check with other sources and then work with the loads starting a few percent below maximum and working up.

A recent manual showed 35 Remington loads heavier than 358 Winchester loads... Hmmmm...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
FWIW,

Best, might not be "the best".

Hodgdon publishes an "Annual" each year that features loads for different manufacturer's bullets with both Hodgdon and IMR powders. I refer to that quite often as I load a lot of Hodgdon and IMR. That periodical can be picked up online or at bookstores such as Barnes and Noble.

[Linked Image]

I also load specific bullets according to the recipe of the individual manufacturer. By that, Nosler bullets out of the Nosler Manual, Sierra Bullets out of the Sierra Manual. Hornady out of the Hornady manual.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lyman's book has loads from sevral powder and bullet makers where a the Nosler manual only has loads for Nosler bullets, Hogdon manual only for Hogdon powders, etc.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I started with Lyman. (Of course, that was about the only one available back then).

And it is still a very good, if not the best, for a beginner.

Retired cat herder.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by geedubya
FWIW,

Best, might not be "the best".

Hodgdon publishes an "Annual" each year that features loads for different manufacturer's bullets with both Hodgdon and IMR powders. I refer to that quite often as I load a lot of Hodgdon and IMR. That periodical can be picked up online or at bookstores such as Barnes and Noble.

[Linked Image]

I also load specific bullets according to the recipe of the individual manufacturer. By that, Nosler bullets out of the Nosler Manual, Sierra Bullets out of the Sierra Manual. Hornady out of the Hornady manual.

Best,

GWB

I follow geedubya's model.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Lots of great advice.

Once a reloader has the basics, and all he needs is load data, it's hard to beat www.loaddata.com.

It's a subscription thru Wolfe Publishing. One can have access to all the loading manuals, current and past, plus Handloader and other sources. To me, it's the handiest of all.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lee

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Google

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.