Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
One of the things the locals here do in pasture a few llamas with the livestock, particularly sheep. They apparently protect the sheep from not only bears, but Mtn Lions as well. E
Llamas are getting to be pretty common for guard animals. Some people with put 2 or 3 in with sheep or goats but a single one will work much better. It will bond with the sheep instead of with the other llamas and will be a lot more protective.
If it thinks the crowd is threatened by a dog or coyote, it will put it's head near the ground and charge. I've seen them run a long ways that way and your pet Fido doesn't want to be there when it arrives. They're not slow.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The drinking, or lack of drinking rather, was amazing to me. Nice clear cold mountain stream... they'd wade right through and rarely touch it. I bet I didn't see them take two sips if that.

I researching the goats, I read somewhere where llamas, donkeys, and goats have great eyesight. They will spot a predator a ways off and immediately go on alert.
Apparently, this has the effect of un-nerving the predator somewhat.
They like to be in control of a predator/prey situation.

When all eyes are on them, and especially in the case of a llama or burro which may have enough bravado to take a few steps ore even run toward the predator, suddenly they don't feel quite as secure and oftentimes that's all it takes to cause a predator to head in another direction. Even one who could easily take down the llama.

Contrast that to say, a sheep. They're more likely to spot a predator, turn and run away. This is exactly the expected response and triggers a pursuit.

Anyway, that makes sense to me.

But I was reading about pack goats at the time. Not sure about the "bravado" part in goats, although I have heard of people using goats with sheep for "guard" animals. I will say goats apparently have a natural curiosity which may cause the to head toward a coyote or other animal which could possibly unnerve the predator. Dunno.
I wouldn't bet the farm on goats turning away bears.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
From my experience with our goats in the pasture, they'll go on alert if they see something but they sure don't hang around if they think there's danger.

Llamas seem to have exceptional eyesight. If you have them along while hunting, it pays to keep an eye on them. They can spot game for you. They're very alert all the time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do know goats work with sheep and coyotes. Growing up a neighbor ran sheep and was losing 30-35 lambs a year to coyotes.
He tried about every thing including hunters but continued to loss lambs, we kept telling him to get goats to run with his sheep, he finally said ok that year he lost 7-8 lambs and became a believer. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
When I had to live in Kansas, my neighbor up the hill had a small flock of sheep and one llama for protection from coyotes.

They are supposed to be very good at it as long as only one is kept. 2 llamas will bond to each other and hang the sheep out to dry.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northcountry
I do know goats work with sheep and coyotes. Growing up a neighbor ran sheep and was losing 30-35 lambs a year to coyotes.
He tried about every thing including hunters but continued to loss lambs, we kept telling him to get goats to run with his sheep, he finally said ok that year he lost 7-8 lambs and became a believer. Cheers NC

I believe a horned adult goat, IF he stood his ground and decided to fight, could disembowel a coyote without too much trouble. A coyote is kinda like a street thug, opportunistic and looking for an easy,(defenseless) target. Neither likes their "victims" to fight back.
Whether a goat would hold his ground or run, I don't know. I guess it depends on the individuals.

Last edited by snubbie; 05/28/14.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
snubbie
We had nanny goats with horns and I have seen what they can do with a black and white collie dog, they fly through the air with the greatest of ease and they weigh much more than a coyote. So I have no doubt with a one on one the coyote losses.
Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 2500HD, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.