Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Just a follow-up. I'm not terribly mechanical, so I took the rifle to a gunsmith this morning. He looked at the bolt and didn't find any places where it is binding, then looked at the fired brass. He then ran his bore scope into the chamber. The rifling and leade look fine, but the chamber itself looks like it was reamed with hammer and chisel. In other words, the chamber hadn't been polished at all at the factory, and there was all sorts of brass caught in the tool marks. He's going to polish it as much as he can and, hopefully, that will cure it. If not, new barrel. Ugh! Gonna have to see what sort of warranty there is from K-Var and Zastava.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
See, that's another instance where a bore scope made the diagnosis, possibly saving the day...

Hope the treatment cures the ailment.

Let us know how it works out.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/31/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RevMike
Just a follow-up. I'm not terribly mechanical, so I took the rifle to a gunsmith this morning. He looked at the bolt and didn't find any places where it is binding, then looked at the fired brass. He then ran his bore scope into the chamber. The rifling and leade look fine, but the chamber itself looks like it was reamed with hammer and chisel. In other words, the chamber hadn't been polished at all at the factory, and there was all sorts of brass caught in the tool marks. He's going to polish it as much as he can and, hopefully, that will cure it. If not, new barrel. Ugh! Gonna have to see what sort of warranty there is from K-Var and Zastava.

That is a shame... Whoever ran that reamer in there had to know it was not going well...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yeah, I figure it was a Friday in Serbia. "Slivovitz for everyone!"

Actually, it isn't the end of the world, assuming the action is ok. The ultimate plan was for me to use that rifle for a few years hunting feral pigs, then (after saving a lot of pennies) send it off to someone to make Rigby or WR clone (something along the lines the WR in the picture). The current wood has a bit of figure in it, so hopefully it can be reshaped in the classic English style. But I was hoping to keep the barrel since it has a 1:866 twist and ought to handle those old round nose 175s pretty well, but there's not much that can be done about it if the chamber can't be cleaned up. I guess I'll find out in a few days.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

[Linked Image]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
See, that's another instance where a bore scope made the diagnosis, possibly saving the day...

Hope the treatment cures the ailment.

Let us know how it works out.

DF

Thanks. We'll see, and I'll keep y'all posted. At least I still have 2 7x57s in reserve!! grin

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Maybe they built that one on a Friday evening, or on a Monday morning before they were fully sobered up...

It's all about production, turning out products as fast as possible, bean counters pushing engineers and production...

Not good for us, probably not good for them in the long run.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Yeah, I figure it was a Friday in Serbia. "Slivovitz for everyone!"

Actually, it isn't the end of the world, assuming the action is ok. The ultimate plan was for me to use that rifle for a few years hunting feral pigs, then (after saving a lot of pennies) send it off to someone to make Rigby or WR clone (something along the lines the WR in the picture). The current wood has a bit of figure in it, so hopefully it can be reshaped in the classic English style. But I was hoping to keep the barrel since it has a 1:866 twist and ought to handle those old round nose 175s pretty well, but there's not much that can be done about it if the chamber can't be cleaned up. I guess I'll find out in a few days.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

[Linked Image]

Ya got great taste in rifles, Rev...

DF

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
You know, I'm really not sure about the bean counters part. I was a CPA for almost 27 years, and not once did I ever tell a client that the best way to keep customer loyalty was to undermine quality by cutting costs. Generally, that sort of advice came from the CEO who wanted to maximize profits in order to maximize salaries...his own, in particular.

But I think you're on to something about turning out products as fast as possible. Certain steps in the process are bound to be skipped.

But like I said, we'll see how this story ends.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What's that old saying: Champagne taste and beer budget!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Companies run by engineer/production type CEO's, it seems to me, do better than by "number crunching" CEO's.

You gotta have accountants, comptrollers, money managers for a company to survive, obviously. To me, it's the emphasis on production, if there's a passion for the product or if the product is but a commodity to feather the bottem line.

Bill Ruger is an example. He built guns that interested him, often against "conventional wisdom". It was his conviction (passion) that a single shot rifle would sell. He had to lead and lead he did. The rest, as they say, is history.

Bill Ruger never "led from behind", a concept taking hold in Washington D.C.... shocked

DF

IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
To me, it's the emphasis on production, if there's a passion for the product or if the product is but a commodity to feather the bottem line.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's a passion for product. That makes all the difference in the world. I suppose that's why gunsmiths and gun-makers are still in business: I don't think any of them get rich doing what they're doing. Those I know are in it because they love what they're doing. I could be wrong about that, but I just don't seem many of them flying in company jets and sponsoring NASCAR.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Look what happened to Remington and Marlin...

DF

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Look what happened to Remington and Marlin...

DF

And those Slivovitz drinking Serbs at Zastava! grin

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Just an update.

At my gunsmith's suggestion, I contacted both K-Var (the seller) and Zastava in Serbia. The importer (FIME Group) asked a few questions about any modifications I've made. The only one's were stock modifications: bed, float, Decelerator pad. They sent me an RMA number to return the rifle to them for warranty repairs. Jacalyn, their customer service rep, was very friendly and helpful, and so far I couldn't ask for more. She warned that it would probably be somewhere between 3 and 12 weeks before the rifle was repaired and returned. Again, I appreciate her being upfront with that information. So far, FIME Group has been very responsive. I will continue to keep you posted.

As an aside, when I went to the gunsmith to pick up the rifle, he took me to the back to show me a couple of rifles he'd just received. Both were Kimber Mountain Ascents, one in .308 and the other in .280AI. He thought I might like the AI since he knows I like 7mm cartridges. Get thee behind me, Satan!! grin

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
It looks like Zastava is going to make it right, but another alternative would have been to have a competent smith remove the barrel and set it back one full turn and recut the chamber with a good reamer. You would only shorten the barrel by about 1/10 of an inch.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gatuner
It looks like Zastava is going to make it right, but another alternative would have been to have a competent smith remove the barrel and set it back one full turn and recut the chamber with a good reamer. You would only shorten the barrel by about 1/10 of an inch.

Thanks. I had another gunsmith recommend the same thing. Let's see what comes back from Zastava. If it still has the problem that will be the next step. Thanks again for the tip.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's the final story on the Zastava with the sticky bolt.

I sent the rifle back to the distributor (FIME aka K-Var) in Las Vegas. They received it somewhere around June 10. Last week I got an email for Jacalyn in customer service saying that a new rifle was being shipped. I asked if she could tell me what was wrong with the original one, but all she said is that their repair shop deemed a new rifle was in order. So that's what I got.

What's more, I'd already done (and had done) some work on the original stock. They put the new barreled action in the original stock and made sure the action was bedded and the barrel still floated. It took three months to get the rifle back, but in all fairness to the company Jacalyn told me at the beginning that turnaround from the repair shop was anywhere from three to twelve weeks.

At this point I couldn't be happier. It isn't often a company sends an entirely new rifle instead of just trying to fix a defective one.

I've not yet had a chance to shoot it as it just arrived today, but there was a target included, signed and dated last week, showing that it functions. I'll remount the scope and we'll see how things go. Hopefully, from here on out all will be fine.

I do, though, wish Jacalyn was able to tell me what was wrong with the first one. That'll always be a mystery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe if you sent her a box of candy and some flowers????

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
That's not a bad idea!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That just goes to show how much money is in gunsmithing ...it was cheaper for them to send a new one as opposed to a simple fix....bet their service dep is not even set up for those repairs...none the less good of them to send a new rifle...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.