Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Anyone having any problems getting on the cast booits forum??

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hah! I just came over here to ask the same question. Yes - I can't get it to pull up. Fatal error: Memcache is not installed in ..../includes/class_datastore.php on line 185 This shows up in my browser window. It must be a formatting thing, because everything works fine on my phone through Tapatalk app. Breathe, relax, patience - everything will be okay. smile

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Same here. Keep getting a 504 error (or something like that). Tried several times last night and this morning. I tried the Tapatalk app too but I couldn't connect to the server. I am sure they are all over it though.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
yep, it's hit or miss on it lately.

NOE has a forum to chat about bullets and casting, although it's primarily for customers of his bullet moulds.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I haven't had any problems with the website since about midday yesterday.

I will have to check out NOE's forum. I really like the mold I got from you and I seriously intend on purchasing more from them.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
NOE has all you'd ever want!

oh yea,

Glad you like it!

Last edited by blammer; 06/03/14.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Did ownership of the cast boolits forum change within the past six months?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have heard this too on other forums. Blammer, do you know who owns it now? It was Ken right?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Works for me. Curious site in many ways, also a wealth of info after separating wheat from chaff.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I asked because one of the mods there started deleting posts with no explanation or warning. Several people PMed me and said this happened because of new ownership.

We were discussing the troubles a few people had receiving their bullet dies from one particular maker. The posts weren't offensive. No one was trolling, calling people out or using unpleasant names. Pix were shared showing the poor quality. Polite suggestions were made, on how to get your money back or reporting him to the police. Others testified that they had similar problems.

Another die maker piped up and offered his advice on how to pick who to do business with. This precipitated what became the deleted posts several entries later.

The entry that started the deletions was made by a person who suggested that there was some "self-aggrandizement" in the thread. I agreed with a one word reply "Aye..."

His post and mine "went away". Immediately, I started receiving PMs from people wondering why they were deleted.

'Oh, the Internet drama!' I thought.

[Linked Image]

At any rate, I suspect one of the die makers who posts there a lot thought he was the one referred to as the "self-aggrandizer", and alerted a mod. That's when the two posts were pulled. Other entries were pulled as well. There's been no activity in that particular sub-forum in 15 hrs.

That's the background for my question. The mood there has changed. To quote Obi Wan Kenobi, "There is a disturbance in the Force."

We now return you to the afternoon movie, "Arguing over 0.1 of a Grain of Propellant Powder and Why It Matters in a 30-06", already in progress.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The former moderator "No 1" (Robert) took over the site in December. Willy is gone now. The place seemed to start spiraling downward almost immediately when the original moderators all resigned. Things started really getting out of hand after that, and now most of the older, more experienced posters started leaving, most notable among them were the "plank owners", the guys who helped start the boards originally. I left in early March, and the rest of my peer group are all pretty much gone now too. I requested that Robert remove my login, but he refused to do it, so I'm still registered, but have no intention of returning. Most of the billions of user names on the member list have seemingly never posted, or have long since quit posting. I don't believe they have even half the membership they claim to have.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I thought that something was up. Thanks for the explanation.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anachronism, can you tell us where those knowledgeable guys are gathering now? Have they found a new home on the web or have they mostly scattered? I didn't spend a lot of time there, but it was always nice to know that if I had a question I could almost certainly find several threads on the topic with some experienced casters willing to share what they knew.

We've got a small, but sharp group of casters here and it would be nice to get some more posting here regularly to increase traffic and base of knowledge.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I agree. That site has gone downhill a bit in terms of the quality of the postings. One might also try looking at the Cast Bullet Association website, which is backed by the Association and generally presents a more scholarly approach to the subject (for lack of a better term). There are still nuggets of info to be found on the Cast B**lits website (sorry, I just can't bring myself to use that pseudo Bubba-cool "word") but one has to dig for them a bit. I'm thinking the little forum we have going on here is pretty good.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think you're right, gnoahhh. This place works for me. You can get the inofrmation you need, chat with others that share your interests and avoid the drama of other sites.

Life is too short to develop worry lines.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The guys I usually worked with are somewhat scattered, and we communicate mostly by email. NOE moulds has opened a forum at their website, and some are there. Some are also at the Ruger Forum boards. A couple are here, and some are just plain missing at this point. There's talk of a new board being planned, but at this point it's just talk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting how the websites that are governed least are governed best, and in the long run are the most successful.

Hmmm, I wonder if we should notify Washington of this concept... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Amen to that.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
LOL, I suspect many are hanging out at NOE's forum and some here.

Don't know who "owns" the site, as it was convoluted to begin with.

One person owned the domain, another owen the site, another hosted the site, etc.... I just didn't bother to care.

It starting spiraling down a few years ago when the founder "Ken" stopped being a part of it or didn't want anything to do with it anymore.

I'm set up to run a website just haven't yet. Could be the "next" CB site, but... I'll wait an see.

I can say I'd definitely run things a bit differently.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
By all means, please let us know if you decide to move forward with this. Especially appreciated would be some sort of "advanced" area where some of the more technical minded guys could collaborate. I don't mean this to sound snobbish, but one of the biggest complaints I saw about CB was the number of people asking the same entry level questions over and over. There has to be a better way to handle this situation, I just don't know what it might be. Some of the advanced guys would get upset about needing to try explaining over and over that you can shoot many bullets successfully without gaschecks as long as you do your load development properly and start low. Perhaps we should start a new thread somewhere about what people would like to see in a cast bullet forum. I know the IPSC guys, and the speed shooters have all sorts of questions regarding action shooting.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.