Print Thread
Hop To
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
The defacto wife has seen fit to book a trip to Ocean City, Maryland towards the end of July. I want to try surf fishing. I really have no target species.. heck I'm not even sure what species are available down there. LOL

I've had enough of seeing you guys holding up cool looking fish I have never heard of in your hero photos on here!! I wanna take a turn. LOL

Can anyone help me out? I've got a some cash set back in the toy fund if I need to buy any particular gear. We usually hit the beach for a week each year, so picking up a surf outfit wont go to waste in the long run.

Last edited by J23; 06/06/14.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ugly Stiks are called so for a reason... but they work.
I will depend if you want to cast/retrieve lures or cut bait and then wait.
I realize the gulf is not the north atlantic, but when I hit the surf I bring a long rod with bait to cast and wait for the big ones, while I use a lighter (med rod) for short range work, be it smaller baits or lures.
Any reel in 5000-6000 size range (eg, Shimano Fierce/Pursuit/Battle) should do you well, The battle being the more expensive. Of course there is Okuma, Daiwa, Shakespeare, etc. I think combos will have the best value money wise, but may not be the best of the best for either rod or reel.
Even for the big ones (minus sharks, huge rays, etc) freshwater equipment will work, rinse it well though. Even my saltwater rated stuff gets rinsed after each use.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
PM Kamo Gari.

IIRC, that should be blues and striper time.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Ugly Stiks are called so for a reason... but they work.
I will depend if you want to cast/retrieve lures or cut bait and then wait.
I realize the gulf is not the north atlantic, but when I hit the surf I bring a long rod with bait to cast and wait for the big ones, while I use a lighter (med rod) for short range work, be it smaller baits or lures.
Any reel in 5000-6000 size range (eg, Shimano Fierce/Pursuit/Battle) should do you well, The battle being the more expensive. Of course there is Okuma, Daiwa, Shakespeare, etc. I think combos will have the best value money wise, but may not be the best of the best for either rod or reel.
Even for the big ones (minus sharks, huge rays, etc) freshwater equipment will work, rinse it well though. Even my saltwater rated stuff gets rinsed after each use.

I've got an Abu Ambassador S.. or is it SX? I'd have to look. At any rate, I have one mounted on a Medium-Heavy Ugly Stick.. I use it for Ohio River Catfishing. Would that be sufficient to take down there? I didn't realize that freshwater gear was feasible.

As far as technique, I am not sure. Honestly, I'd be happy to toss out some bait and wait it out while taking in the ocean view. I'm not too particular about what I catch, as it will be all different and exciting.

We were down there last year, and I said I was gonna fish, but ended up not. I did eat well though, I didn't want to see another blue crab for the rest of the year. grin

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ocean City should have a wealth of online fishing reports and you should be able to find contacts there that will clue you in to the local traditions. Freshwater gear works well when the surf temperatures are warm. Fish will be feeding in the last break of surf right up to the shore in the morning and evening when swimmers are absent. They won't be whoppers, but with properly sized gear and FRESH bait, you can bring in a tasty catch.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 66 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.