Doesn't help either..... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B6

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
'Twere me, I would wait to take delivery of the first rifle before ordering another, in case I didn't like it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by LovesLevers

After reading this thread was hoping Mr Forbes would offer his opinion as to the poor build quality but he didn't (unless I missed it).

I don't think he's ever participated on this forum, so it's no surprise that he hasn't offered his opinion.

Buy a Nula and you will deal with Melvin. Buy a Forbes and you will talk to the company that makes Forbes. Melvin supplies the stock, they bed them up in Mass. He has given them the rights to duplicate his action to assemble a rifle. What we receive is their doing not his.

One is made by Melvin and his couple smiths who have made thousands held to a specific standard. The other is more or less mass produced, thus the pricing difference. Forbes is obviously still in the learning curve and they will either get it right or go away. Even getting it right is no guarantee they will eventually be successful enough to stay.

Clearly true as Mel apparently can GAS about the rifle that still bears his name.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He cares. He just can't be in two places at once. He is a control freak and I suspect he is more than a little upset if this situation is typical.

laissez les bons temps rouler
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We can "suspect" nothing as he has decided to not be involved. If he cannot manage two businesses at once, well that was his choice, a bad one apparently. I love the silly azz defenders of someone not performing. As I wrote earlier, some of Mel's supporters have gone wisely silent...

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been in his living room and seen his computer. Old would be a kind description. He also isn't much for using it, so don't expect to see him on any forum.

However, it seems many here think he is the majority owner of Forbes Rifles and makes all the decisions. I'm not sure that is the case-in fact I doubt it, but could be wrong-if not the majority owner makes the rules. So I'm not all that positive he is personally running the business of Forbes Rifles in spite of his name being on the rifle.

Can you tell me who is the principle/controlling owner of Forbes Rifles?

Last edited by battue; 06/07/14.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would be dammm particular on a "piece" that used my name. But what do I know as I am just a dumazz project manager for a major oil company that spends in a day that Mel hopes to flow in a year...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I guess it's true that money talks.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I am guessing Mel has made more custom sythetic rifles than any of the names that pop up on this forum and is respected threw out the industry so I am sure he hasnt turned a blind eye to some of the issues that forbes rifles is having........Mel stepping in and commenting on this post would accomplish nothing with some of the hair brain ideas that have been suggested here and I am sure that is why he stays away he has better things to do like building rifles and taking care of customer service issues like this one when it arises......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rancho got the shaft, but is handling it well and waiting. I'm hoping it works out.

As for jumping on Melvin in particular; I know he doesn't play by the same set of rules that others think are the way it should be done today. Perhaps that is a flaw, but it is not for me to decide.

Perhaps Melvin is a sly fox and figured if this doesn't workout he will not only have his rifles to make, but now Forbes rifles to work on along with the Colt light rifles. laugh

But to the critics of Melvin; does he or does he not control Forbes? Answer that and then you can correctly place blame.

Last edited by battue; 06/07/14.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EdM
We can "suspect" nothing as he has decided to not be involved. If he cannot manage two businesses at once, well that was his choice, a bad one apparently. I love the silly azz defenders of someone not performing. As I wrote earlier, some of Mel's supporters have gone wisely silent...

So, you have personal knowledge of his level of involvement in Forbes Rifles? How do you know that their business plan was/is for him to manage two businesses at once? How do you know what he's decided?

How does the fact that you manage projects for a major oil company figure into a discussion of a small-scale custom- or semi-custom rifle manufacturing operation?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am pretty new to the campfire, as I live in Canada and most often frequent more local forums. I count myself as lucky after having had two successive shockingly poor Forbes', that it never cost me a cent. I deal with a wonderful gun dealer whose business practice is simply to make the customer happy. He refunded my money completely. But Ranch Loco being made to wait the period he has, and having largely been ignored, in spite of Forbes being made well aware of this thread, is simply unheard of. In 2014, new companies that sell consumer products, rise and fall based primarily on Internet reviews. To argue otherwise is foolishness. This thread counts as a review. The most important one I can find. I plunked down $1750 on a Forbes because of magazine articles by guys like Petzal who fawns over Mel Forbes, maybe deservedly so, and stated that other than options, there is no real difference between the NULA and the Forbes. Even if Forbes has just licensed Titan to build his actions, he is still making the stocks that in my case, and many others, are incredibly poorly done. My first one literally broke when I was taking it apart.

Forbes Rifles should have immediately grabbed a perfect one off their line and Fed Exed it to Rancho the minute they were made aware of this thread. This was the only way to handle it. To argue otherwise is to be naive of marketing in 2014. When you have a niche product, as Forbes does, they cannot afford bad press like this when getting established.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sns2
Forbes Rifles should have immediately grabbed a perfect one off their line and Fed Exed it to Rancho the minute they were made aware of this thread. This was the only way to handle it. To argue otherwise is to be naive of marketing in 2014.

Who is arguing otherwise?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've been following this thread closely as I have a 7mm-08 on order with Forbes. I was really hoping Forbes would jump right in and make this right ASAP. As of now I am going to cancel my order. I'm just getting a bad gut feeling about Forbes. They could have made this all right in a matter of days. Word travels too damn fast on the internet these days.

I would have immediately fixed this by either paying Lobo's shipping both ways or sending him a new rifle. The costs that Forbes would have incurred are cheap compared to what the bad press from this one thread will cost them over the years as more and more people reference it. At 40 pages long Google will be pulling it up anytime someone searches for Forbes info.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
No one:) Just re-stating a point.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All I'm doing is drawing a distinction between the man and the company. Some seem to think Mr. Forbes is in control of what Forbes Rifles does and how they handle customer service. I wonder how they know his degree of involvement or level of control over the company.

I've dealt with him directly and based on those interactions have a hard time believing this situation would've been handled as it has if he were in control of it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
All I'm doing is drawing a distinction between the man and the company. Some seem to think Mr. Forbes is in control of what Forbes Rifles does and how they handle customer service. I wonder how they know his degree of involvement or level of control over the company.

I've dealt with him directly and based on those interactions have a hard time believing this situation would've been handled as it has if he were in control of it.

I agree with you completely but one would think he would be very concerned with anything that carries his name. Makes me wonder exactly what is going on behind closed doors.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd be willing to bet he's very concerned. Being concerned and being in a position to dictate that things are done the way you want them are two different things. I have no idea what the business deal is between him and the company and how much control he personally has over the company. I'm wondering how others seem to know the details, or why they think he's personally in control.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd be willing to bet he's very concerned. Being concerned and being in a position to dictate that things are done the way you want them are two different things. I have no idea what the business deal is between him and the company and how much control he personally has over the company. I'm wondering how others seem to know the details, or why they think he's personally in control.

Yes, but from what I heard not being able to dictate how things are done was what lead to the first debacle with Colt Light Rifles. You would think something would have been learned from that experience.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 06/07/14.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Just because I'm a good cook doesn't mean I can run a restaurant.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 20 of 31 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.