Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Said comments WERE NOT pointed at you. Not suggesting you did any such thing......

Ok. Fair enough.

Why do I think a Tikka cost ~$100 to $150 more than a Ruger American equipped roughly in a similar fashion? Simple, really. It's all about market and perception. The Tikka rifles have a pretty darn good perceived value which is what determines what price the market will bear. If a potential buyer has the perception that he can buy a Tikka off the shelf, take it home and mount a scope, bore sight it, take it to the range and shoot 1" groups with most of what he decides to run through it, he has no problem laying down his hard-earned cash. Beretta prices their rifle to what the market bears. Simple economics, really. Has little to do with cost to manufacture.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Well I have two Tikka's, Mount scope go out and shoot just about anything into under an inch at 100 yards. Have Winchesters, Remingtons, etc, THEY DO NOT DO THAT, without work. Can they, yes. Triggers, yep with work and money. Have found loads they like, but.. Never have had anything break, fall off, miss a animal, or any problem with a Tikka. Are they plastic, made to a price, yes. But DAMN they do work. Perhaps The Ruger American is a good one, but I do not have one yet. I really doubt that it can be better however.. At it's price point perhaps, again plastic made to a price point. As a betting man I would take my Tikka against just about any hunting rifle at 100 yards. I bought mine when they were just around what the Ruger American costs now. YMMV

Pretty bold statement, but I respect the confidence you have in your rifle. That kind of confidence puts a lot of meat in the freezer, I'm sure. My rifles all shoot well and I guess I could offer up a bet of the same nature, but won't since I've shot competition and have had my azz handed to me by a guy using a cheap as hell stevens 200. Price point doesn't always guarantee sub moa groups and as we are all aware of, the stevens 200, Ruger American, Savage, and Marlin X, can all shoot well right out of the box. I don't have a problem with any of these rifles or the guys using them. As they say: "To each their own". I will say this: I remember when the Tikka was very affordable when they first came out and now it's priced way up there, so it probably shouldn't be in the same category from a price standpoint as these rifles. Even though it should be, based on concept/design...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this chit is so funny to me

if you're happy with your purchases you've scored the brass ring

you start worrying about making other folks happy with what you buy and use, you're settin yourself up for a lot of frustration.

don't care if you like my rifles, my wife or my life

they all be mine and only have to suit me

you only got to make yourself happy

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Well I have two Tikka's, Mount scope go out and shoot just about anything into under an inch at 100 yards. Have Winchesters, Remingtons, etc, THEY DO NOT DO THAT, without work. Can they, yes. Triggers, yep with work and money. Have found loads they like, but.. Never have had anything break, fall off, miss a animal, or any problem with a Tikka. Are they plastic, made to a price, yes. But DAMN they do work. Perhaps The Ruger American is a good one, but I do not have one yet. I really doubt that it can be better however.. At it's price point perhaps, again plastic made to a price point. As a betting man I would take my Tikka against just about any hunting rifle at 100 yards. I bought mine when they were just around what the Ruger American costs now. YMMV

Pretty bold statement, but I respect the confidence you have in your rifle. That kind of confidence puts a lot of meat in the freezer, I'm sure. My rifles all shoot well and I guess I could offer up a bet of the same nature, but won't since I've shot competition and have had my azz handed to me by a guy using a cheap as hell stevens 200. Price point doesn't always guarantee sub moa groups and as we are all aware of, the stevens 200, Ruger American, Savage, and Marlin X, can all shoot well right out of the box. I don't have a problem with any of these rifles or the guys using them. As they say: "To each their own". I will say this: I remember when the Tikka was very affordable when they first came out and now it's priced way up there, so it probably shouldn't be in the same category from a price standpoint as these rifles. Even though it should be, based on concept/design...

Well said. The only fun rifles are the accurate ones, regardless of price. The two Tikkas I own are not necessarily the most accurate I own, though the 260 is petty dang close.

In my experience, the Savage products are darn accurate, but the prices have risen to a point that I will not buy another. I'm down to one. Rifles like the RAR may put a hurt on Savage since they were competing on price across the board in their product line in the past. They may price themselves out if they are not careful. Heck, Tikka/Beretta could as well if they continue raising prices.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
this chit is so funny to me

if you're happy with your purchases you've scored the brass ring

you start worrying about making other folks happy with what you buy and use, you're settin yourself up for a lot of frustration.

don't care if you like my rifles, my wife or my life

they all be mine and only have to suit me

you only got to make yourself happy

Absolutley true and I agree 100%. But this is the internet and we need entertainment grin

I REALLY don't want to sound like a braggart. I'm humble and have worked hard for everything I own, and nobody on the planet appreciates same as much as me. Nobody. I don't know what a 40 hr. work week is/feels like. But I have owned SO many GD rifles that if I cried every time someone criticized/critiqued one, I'd be doing a LOT of crying. My feelers don't get hurt over rifles, but some cannot discern the difference over calling a rifle a POS, and saying same of a person, unfortunately. Personal $hit interests me not. If you wanna talk $hit about rifles, bring something to the table or STFU....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Exactly.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say the Sako name lends more to the Tikka than it's design/value.........

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow! Sure am glad there are other folks to take 2muchguns focus off of me.

Just wait until he figures out the Ruger has a Tupperware stock. Nobody will be allowed to ever say anything positive about a Ruger ever again without taking a serious brow beating.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it actually possible for you to read something and interpret it correctly in the given context?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shodd
Wow! Sure am glad there are other folks to take 2muchguns focus off of me.

Shod

Wow! Sounds like you are jealous, Princess. Otherwise, you wouldn't have purposefully drawn attention to yourself.......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I notice your screen name reads "Shodd".

Yet your signature reads "Shod". You can't even spell your own fu**ing name right, dumba$$.........

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Yet your signature reads "Shod". You can't even spell your own fu**ing name right, dumba$$.........

Thanks for pointing that out. smile

Shod grin

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shodd

Thanks for pointing that out. smile

Shod grin

Much obliged in helping your kind out with ANY of life's little difficulties you may incur...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
snip.....

"Tikkas are the perfect rifle for those who know not of rifles. "

Snip...

I often choose Tikka. I also have a very extensive background working on .gov/.mil weapons systems, including weeks and weeks of periodic training at various defense manufacturers facilities, not to mention being in charge of some very extensive armories.

Plus, as both a designated defensive marksman, as well as an M24 (remington factory trained) armorer, I might have the practical experience on both sides of the armory bench to completely disagree with your post. But opinions and experiences vary.

The punchline is that I would take a box stock Tikka over a box stock Remington 700 pretty much every time.

Happy hunting!

Cheers!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
MS, I agree on T3 vs 700, even like an S2 vs 700 in OEM.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mr. 2muchgun says:

......My feelers don't get hurt over rifles, but some cannot discern the difference over calling a rifle a POS, and saying same of a person, unfortunately. Personal $hit interests me not. If you wanna talk $hit about rifles, bring something to the table or STFU....

Then he follows it up with these obviously non-personal comments to Shod:

Is it actually possible for you to read something and interpret it correctly in the given context?

And:

Wow! Sounds like you are jealous, Princess. Otherwise, you wouldn't have purposefully drawn attention to yourself.......

And:

But, again:

���some cannot discern the difference over calling a rifle a POS, and saying same of a person, unfortunately.

That definitely makes me believe that Mr. 2muchgun is someone I�d like to meet in the near future so I can improve my personal life in ways that I'm sure I'm not smart enough to understand until he educates me.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wish my Tikka didn't shoot so well. I bought it on a whim, and it has literally out shot every gun I have ever owned, including a few customs.

Haven't tried a Ruger American yet, but I didn't care for the bendy stock when I handled one in the store. If they come out with some aftermarket stocks, then I will probably try one.

I have never been one to be fashionable though. If it feels good and shoots then I don't care what others say.

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know this is an old thread, but just for interest sake. I can buy the RAR and have a local company make a glass fiber stock of my choice (any shape I would like, as they do not have to put out nearly as many stocks as the US stock makers). The rifle and custom stock would still cost less than what a Tikka would set me back.

If I do not go with a custom stock I would be able to re-barrel the RAR when shot out and still save money smile

Not saying the T3 is bad for one moment (as I recommend them to guys that wants something to shoot straight right out of the box) but for me the RAR would be the better choice.

Pieter

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had formulated several different plans on how I was goint to stiffen/strengthen the stock on my RAR. I realize now that the flexiness of the stock doesn't affect the way it shoots - field positions w/ and w/o a strap, bench, bipod, it shoots to the same POI. I no longer care about the stock being flexy....

I did have to clean up the barrel channel a little bit, it was touching on one side.

David

Last edited by Canazes9; 11/18/14.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good to know

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

569 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,033
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.