Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Like to hear from those who owned both, how they compare.

Pics show a 3 lug design on Ruger, are the actions as slick as a T3?

How are triggers? Quality of stock? Overall accuracy?

I realize Ruger is America mfg, and Tikka bbs set the bar like Sako, but is a Ruger the better value?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 65BR
I realize Ruger is America mfg, and Tikka bbs set the bar like Sako, but is a Ruger the better value?

I think so...

Comparing the two, the Tikka has the advantage:

Barrel - Tikka.
Action - Tikka.
Trigger - Tikka.
Stock - Tikka.
Accuracy - Tikka.

But all of those margins are small, and the Ruger is a close 2nd on all those points of comparison.

The Tikka likely has the slight edge in the barrel department, but Ruger is putting decent barrels on the RAR.

This assumes that QC is up to standards, and that depends on the individual rifle. If I ever had a QC problem, I'd much rather be dealing with Ruger by a long shot. Personally speaking, I likely won't be buying a Tikka, but I will be looking at a couple of SS Ruger Compacts when they arrive here.

Either way, for the small price difference between the two, I'd recommend you handle both of them and go with the rifle you prefer in hand, and not to base the decision on price.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seems there's about a $200+ difference in price for the blued version.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead

+1 at minimum

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have both, in the same chambering, 7mm-08. RAR is blued, Tikka is stainless.
I prefer the Tikka significantly more.
Slicker (much slicker) action
Better (much better) trigger.
The stock fits much better with the Tikka, as the wrist in the RAR is really narrow.
The Tikka delivers better accuracy, but to be fair I've shot it much more than I have the RAR.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

+1 at minimum

Blued Tikkas are on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse for $449.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
As I said, $200 difference at a minimum.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Where can I get a blued RAR for $249?

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I get them for $349. I'd have to factor in at least another $100 for food and gasoline to get to a Sportsman Warehouse. Not to mention my time.

Of course by the time I get there the sale will be over. What is their NONE sale price.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
What??? You lost Me Steely....................Hb

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Had a Tikka in the past. Liked it well enough and it was very accurate. I have 2 RAR's now, 223 and 308.

While I liked the Tikka quite a bit. I didn't like it as well as more conventional looking and functioning rifles. I sold mine, along with a couple of others and bought a Kimber.

The Ruger is cheap enough to be a legitimate beater that I don't worry too much if it gets dirty, rusty, lost in a boating accident or stolen. It is accurate enough for my uses. I can see a rattle can camo job on both.

The Tikka is just expensive enough to not be a true beater, but not quite enough quality for me to consider it a classic rifle I'd be proud to pass down to my grandkids.

Time will tell, but I think the Tikka is probably a bit better, but not enough to justify the price difference to me.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've owned both and have owned both in stainless. So that's what I'll compare...

Accuracy -- toss up.
Trigger -- slight edge to Tikka (only because of the blade on the RAR)
Barrels -- toss up.
Stock -- Tikka.
Metal finish -- Tikka
Value -- Ruger

The Tikka action is smoother than Ruger. With that being said, I'd still buy the Ruger over the Tikka any day of the week.

The Ruger is available in a true short action. I consider the V-Block bedding superior on the Ruger. The Ruger is American made. Ruger customer service is usually outstanding. All 223 Ruger's are available with an 8" twist, not just a special version from a sporting goods chain. The stainless Ruger is $300 less than the stainless Tikka at my local gun shop. The RAR's are throated more to my liking than the Tikka.

To me there is no comparison. Buy the American, spend the extra $300 on Talley LW's and a scope. You'll be all up with the Ruger for about the same price as rifle-only with a stainless Tikka.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

I get RAR for $349. He said the Tikka's were on sale for $449 at Sportsman Warehouse, which makes it $200 more than what I can get a RAR for the following reasons:

Since I'd have drive 340 miles round trip to get to a Sportsman Warehouse, I need to factor in gasoline at $3.45 a gallon, 18 miles to the gallon and lunch. Not to mention my time.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

I get RAR for $349. He said the Tikka's were on sale for $449 at Sportsman Warehouse, which makes it $200 more than what I can get a RAR for the following reasons:

Since I'd have drive 340 miles round trip to get to a Sportsman Warehouse, I need to factor in gasoline at $3.45 a gallon, 18 miles to the gallon and lunch. Not to mention my time.

Memphis or Chattanooga?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You brought up a good point, I forgot the 'Memphis' one is actually in Southaven and I can't purchase a rifle in Mississippi so I have to go to Chattanooga, that's 410 miles round trip...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
So the on sale Tikka gets even more expensive.

I stayed at the Homewood across the street from the Memphis store once, I never realized it was in MS.

C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The Tikka's bolt will lock down with its safety in the on position- that is not the case with the American. CP.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, it is. Not far from the state line. I lived in Southaven for 4 years but that was 20 years ago. It's changed a BUNCH.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by CP
The Tikka's bolt will lock down with its safety in the on position- that is not the case with the American. CP.

And?

C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Personal preference-I like the bolt to be locked down when crawling through the brush. CP.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I'll let ya'll know when my shawty RAR gets here.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

Close $320.00

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is there a reasonably priced drop in stock for a tika? Also a metal trigger guard?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

+1 at minimum

Blued Tikkas are on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse for $449.

P

That's a great price!

Ted
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
So how accurate are the Ruger American 223? Just got one and have not shot it. Youth model SS. Any Talley one piece LW that will fit?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CP
Personal preference-I like the bolt to be locked down when crawling through the brush. CP.

Me too, but it looks like the fat bolt on the RAR would do a better job of keeping hot gas from getting to your face compared to the T3. I know, blown primers and ruptured cases are rare.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep. Same Talley's as Savage. Call Talley. They'll fix you up.

They're accurate. I'm shooting 3/4", 3 shot groups at 200 consistently.

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 06/09/14.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Just think what you could do with a heavy bench rest rifle. This stuff is unbelievable!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MagMarc
So the on sale Tikka gets even more expensive.

I stayed at the Homewood across the street from the Memphis store once, I never realized it was in MS.

That store was in Memphis, it never reopened........the Southaven store re-opened after being intially closed.

Double_D
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Tikkas might be on sale at SW for 449 but everywhere else a blued Tikka at every gunshop I frequent is 599 bucks. The Ruger at walmart is 349 last time I checked. If it were not for the blade on the Ruger Trigger I would pick the Ruger every single time.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Tikka has never shown me schit.

The RAR trigger is easily massaged with a re-spring and knottitude.

Issued spring above,replacement below and it were clipped to OEM length...prior to install.

[Linked Image]

Blade Therapy.

[Linked Image]

RAR by a [bleep] mile.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just wish there was a replacement stock for the RA. At least you can get a B&C medalist for the Tikka.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Manners, McMillan, and PSE composites are all making stocks for the Tikka now in several different styles.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
No doubt the RAR is a great value but I'm curious to why you feel it's "better by a mile" than the Tikka. I've looked the Ruger American over, just haven't had any time shooting one yet. I have quite a bit of experience with Tikkas and they have been flawless performers to date.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tikka, like the RAR, is an entry level rifle that is no longer at entry level prices, unlike the RAR, which is.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Prezactly

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Tikka, like the RAR, is an entry level rifle that is no longer at entry level prices, unlike the RAR, which is.

They used to sell 595 and 695's at Bass proshop for 350 bucks, Then Beretta took over and jacked them up.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I certainly get the price difference and the value goes to the RAR. They are so cheap you almost have to buy one just to play with, but I suspect once they get established the prices will rise substantially like Tikka. Tikka rifles have a long track record now and are still flying off the shelves. I suspect if the RAR prices were in the same ballpark they would be collecting dust. My original question to Boxer was more about the rifle's qualities and and not just the price. Just to be clear I'm not bashing and I would like to grab a RAR at some point to play with.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats to Ruger as the RAR reports continue to come in as a great shooter and at "old time" prices.
As an aside, I spoke to Ruger CS twice in the past two days and they bent over backwards to help me and sent along 8 torx cap screws and a set of action screws for free. Much to my surprise they still had some tang era walnut/red pad stocks!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Greenback
No doubt the RAR is a great value but I'm curious to why you feel it's "better by a mile" than the Tikka. I've looked the Ruger American over, just haven't had any time shooting one yet. I have quite a bit of experience with Tikkas and they have been flawless performers to date.

Boolits matter more than headstamps and a rifle can be no better than it's boolits.

Tikka slams doors shut,with twist rate and that sucks ass by [bleep] miles. Then there is of course the schitty Tikka build,the '06 lengthed 223 action and a host of mechanical Goat [bleep] in conjunction with a [bleep] twist rate(s).

The RAR trigger will come down to 1#,it'll reliably stabilize sinister boolits and it's ALL there in superior fashion and surprisingly for less money.

Win/win.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boxer
Originally Posted by Greenback

Boolits matter more than headstamps and a rifle can be no better than it's boolits.

Tikka slams doors shut,with twist rate and that sucks ass by [bleep] miles. Then there is of course the schitty Tikka build,the '06 lengthed 223 action and a host of mechanical Goat [bleep] in conjunction with a [bleep] twist rate(s).

The RAR trigger will come down to 1#,it'll reliably stabilize sinister boolits and it's ALL there in superior fashion and surprisingly for less money.

Win/win.

Boxer,

You work for Ruger? I was in the market for another 223. Now, instead of spending big bucks on a build or top shelf factory gun, you have me considering this Ruger 'Merican.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
May have to grab one of those Rugers!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This guy nailed it.

Originally Posted by 1tnhunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How thin is the barrel on the RA?

Can someone mic one at the muzzle and give me an idea of its contour?

We talking Kimber skinny or closer to the Tikka?

TIA

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Blade Therapy.

[Linked Image]

Can you just take the blade off? I did it on a Savage and it worked fine.

Last edited by Whiptail; 06/10/14.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My American .243 is .570" OD at the muzzle. Hard to nail down the contour since everybody's is a little different but I'd call it pretty close to a #2.

My Tikka T3 .223 is .630" at the muzzle.

For comparison a Remington standard Sporter is .660" at the muzzle and a Remington Mountain rifle contour is .550", but Remington uses a proprietary contour that narrows down over approx. the first 13" and then runs straight to the muzzle from there.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Jim which do you like better with the LH factor out of the equation. And which is more accurate? Thanks Kurt

kk alaska

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got one of the Ruger American Predator rifles in the pipeline. It's a 223 Rem. Should be here in a few days.

It's a little heavier barrel than the regular American, supposed to be about .66" diameter at the muzzle. 6.6 lbs before scope.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
.66 is nice n right - heft in a 224 bore.

Great feedback, sounds like the RAR is a buy.

Enough good things to not worry about plastic on the Tikka or the Tupperware.

Either rifle IMO is one to scope, load n go. No frills low cost reliable tool to steer bullets.

Larry is that wire or?

Last edited by 65BR; 06/10/14.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 223 Predator measures .675 at the muzzle. It balances nicely too.

Now I need a can...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sounds nice, I'm looking forward to getting this rifle up and running.

I got the Predator through Davidson's. $362.00 total.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm anxious to get my hands on the 6.5 Creedmoor too.

Which glass are you planning for the 223?

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 06/10/14.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 that I'm going to put on it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Blade Therapy.
[Linked Image]
That fixed the problem, priceless creativity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty interesting how Tikkas were slammed for their receiver "port" and DBM, but doesn't seem to be a problem with RAR's. Made in the USA might carry some weight after all. Hate the stock on both though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like Maxima Chameleon, maybe 30 pound?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kurt, I have to give the nod to the American just for the ergonomics mostly, I like the way the stock feels better than the bigger and slippery Tikka stock. Bolt throw smoothness is about equal, the Tikka is more accurate but we�re only talking a couple of tenths. My Ruger .243 will put a 3 shot group in the .5� or .6�s, the Tikka can shade a half inch fairly easily and those little bugholes are not uncommon. The Ruger magazine seats more easily and more positively, you have to slap the Tikka mag to make good and sure it�s seated properly. Trigger pull goes to the Tikka for a bit more crispness but pull weight is close, about 2 pounds and change for the Tikka and right at 3 lbs 2 oz for the American with the stock trigger spring.

Tikka shot themselves in the foot when they changed the .223 which I have from an 8� to a 10� twist, I ordered mine expecting the faster twist and it came in with a 10" twist.

I�m not quite as critical about small stuff as some folks so I enjoy both of them for what they are. Either one is equally conducive to hitting an 8� gong from the kneeling position which is most of my shooting.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

The Tikka action is smoother than Ruger.

Tikka action is also smoother than a Vanguard, M70 or M700.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I may have to pick up a SS full size RA 7-08 for my wife.

kk alaska

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The local Cal Ranch stores have the T3 stainless on clearance for $487. I picked up one in 30-06 and I'm considering another in 7-08. I need to find one of these RAR predators in 6.5 creedmoor. Any chance they'll be making one in stainless?

Bb

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Shot the RA SS compact 223 yesterday. Shot very well with the right loads. Under 1". Light and have to work at it to get it to
hold consistent.

kk alaska

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wish I had that price here....could make a man take out a HELOC - LOL

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[Linked Image]

From a safety point of view, this seems risky. I suppose it depends on how the trigger is setup. I got mine down to 1 pound pull. The thingy that is tied back is a safety. Without that, I would think 2-3 pounds would be min on single stage trigger on a hunting rifle.

I guess, the advantage of wire over removal of the part is if you do kill someone by accident, the wire could be quickly removed for a quick CYA.

I would rather be safe, than look good.

If Ruger gets wind of this behavior, how long before they redesign a sealed trigger. We are just one fatality and lawsuit away from a discontinued trigger. And a great trigger in context of the times.

Why not pull the send photo. Give Ruger a break. STOP talking about disabling the trigger safety - please.

Last edited by fourbore; 06/20/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by fourbore

Why not pull the send photo. Give Ruger a break. STOP talking about disabling the trigger safety - please.

You obviously have no idea how incredibly stupid the SOB who posted that pic is, or why his shooting himself would not be a tragedy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[b][/b]
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by fourbore

You obviously have no idea how incredibly stupid the SOB who posted that pic is, or why his shooting himself would not be a tragedy.

A [bleep] with an empty chamber and a missing firing pin makes me more nervous than a little fishing line. Then again I pin the grip safety and toss the FP block on 1911's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What type of trigger problem does the little blade safety cause? It's just a disconnector and seems fairly transparent. I wouldn't disconnect one on any of my Glocks either.

But I'm not real particular about triggers...as long as the sights are on the target when the rifle fires the bullet goes where it's supposed to.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
All I know is I like one piece trigger shoe like a 1 pc bolt...

If I get one it will get a B job. Never liked the Savage but might consider a RAR - given the package.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TopCat
What type of trigger problem does the little blade safety cause? It's just a disconnector and seems fairly transparent.

No problem at all unless you are a stupid SOB.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
First post, been reading the forum for about a year. Great info and definitely an interesting group of people.
I own 2 Tikkas, 300 win and 7 mag. Both have served me well and shoot almost anything I feed em. I've also owned a RAR in 7-08 and it was decent for what it was, just didn't feel right to me. I'll admit, the SS version in 223 does interest me. Anyway, just wanted to offer my 2 cents and get my feet wet.
BTW, probably should mention the 300 Win is in a B&C stock and just flat out feels right to me. So far, it'll shoot 1" groups with 180's/190's/200's, definitely can't complain about that. I have a box of 220gr Sako Hammerheads I wanna try asap, like to see how those group

Last edited by KH1473; 06/24/14.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Blade Therapy.

[Linked Image]

Can you just take the blade off? I did it on a Savage and it worked fine.
I bought one of these new rifles yesterday, it's a stainless American .308 Win for $359. I was comparing it in the store with a Browning AB3 and liked the Ruger better and it was less expensive. The safety on the Ruger didn't click as loud as the Browning and I liked the Stainless finish on the Ruger better than a Tikka. It is an extremely flat stainless finish.

Comparing with a Tikka T3 which I have and also like. I prefer the Ruger because of the flat stainless finish, location of the safety, better bedding the "V" of the action tightens down into the stainless insert groove in the stock. The Tikka has a loose "chip" that acts as a recoil key between grooves in the stock and receiver. And I like the Ruger rotary magazine clip better than the Tikka clip.

When carrying a spare Tikka magazine loaded but out of the rifle, the bullets rattle around in the magazine. I don't think this will be an issue with the Ruger because the rotary spring pressure.

The only thing I don't like about the Ruger American rifle is the blade on the trigger, if I can't get used to it I will probably tie it back like Boxer or try to remove it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikkas are a flaming POS on many levels. As is the Browning.

The American is better and just happens to cost less to boot.

I could dig a 1-8 American punched to 223AI.....

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Tikka T3 rocks...d

Last edited by rusty51; 10/19/14.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
the American stocks are junk. Almost as bad as the injected molded Savage. At least the Tikkas come with a half way decent stock in comparison, and no bladed trigger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Flaming POS...

Eric

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=2muchgun]Tikkas are a flaming POS on many levels. As is the Browning.

The American is better!

Last I checked America has 31 states that allow same sex marriage so you stick with "YOU'RE" flaming piece of schit and join right in and be proud to be an American!

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
nearly bought a RAR stainless in 243 but found a remington 700 243 on clearance and went that route. i have a tikka t3 hunter in 308 and love it. would love to find a tikka in 6.5x55

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll take the Tikka over the RAR. I own one Tikka, in 260, and it's a great shooter. I have nothing at all against the RAR, and would own one if I could convince myself I needed one. I'd buy one in 223, but already have a Ruger Hawkeye in that caliber and I'm not swapping that rifle out.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Now this sounds like a very unbiased and knowledgeable report from all directions. This guy is my new guru. It's obvious that he is very knowledgeable and there really should be no need for anyone to provide any further additional thoughts on this matter.

As an aside, I really like my older Tikka .223 1 in 8" twist rifle. I just haven't "punched" it yet. Probably better get on that now that I know. Silly me.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's funny is how a mag and "closed" ejection port on the Tikka "sucks" but is OK for the RAR.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

P

Walmart... no BS.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a 223 Tikka T3 with the 1-10 barrel about a year ago. This was a few months before the RAR 223 hit the market. Considering the price difference I would have bought the RAR if it was available in 223 at that time.

I've got no complaints on the Tikka or the 1-10 barrel. Mine's the most out of the box accurate rifle I've ever bought. It's good with everything from 40 gr Ballistic Tips & V-maxes to 63 gr Sierra SMPS and everything between but based on the what I've read here the RAR would seem to be a better value.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
the tikka is more refined than the RAR ... although it sounds a little strange saying that, seeing as how theyre both plasticky.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The RAR seems to be the better value as long as you don't consider these factors

The tikka has a match grade lapped barrel mated to a blue printed trued action.

Anyone care to expound on the tolerances the RAR is held to?

Last time I checked I can get a Rem 700 action trued up for about $600. Gunsmith requested a tikka action if I decide to have him do another custom as according to him the actions are true and require no machine work.

Sure sounds like entry level to me!

The RAR may be the best bang for your buck for an entry level rifle however the tikka is the best bang for your buck for a mid entry rifle.

It's difficult to classify rifles that have drastically different standards in machine work in the same class unless you're willing to overlook the process that results in consistent accuracy in rifle after rifle after rifle after rifle.

The RAR will not stand up in this regard.

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Price is never a good reason to buy anything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Except for SWFA FF's grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Shodd
The RAR seems to be the better value as long as you don't consider these factors

Anyone care to expound on the tolerances the RAR is held to?

Last time I checked I can get a Rem 700 action trued up for about $600. Gunsmith requested a tikka action if I decide to have him do another custom as according to him the actions are true and require no machine work.

Sure sounds like entry level to me!

The RAR may be the best bang for your buck for an entry level rifle however the tikka is the best bang for your buck for a mid entry rifle.

It's difficult to classify rifles that have drastically different standards in machine work in the same class unless you're willing to overlook the process that results in consistent accuracy in rifle after rifle after rifle after rifle.

The RAR will not stand up in this regard.

Shod

Who the hell cares about the tolerances if they both shoot similarly?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 16bore
What's funny is how a mag and "closed" ejection port on the Tikka "sucks" but is OK for the RAR.

Nah, they both suck in that regard, but it's easier to overlook on the rifle that's darned near half the price of the other.

And yes, a Tikka is still considered a flaming POS.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Price is never a good reason to buy anything.

The RAR is almost to the point of being a disposable rifle. The price is the reason I bought one, maybe a bad idea but, I hope not. I have more expensive rifles but have a hard time letting them bounce around in the hunting truck, on the ATV, in the mud, snow, rain, dirt and dust but I have no hesitation with the RAR and it shoots under 1", just doesn't do it with as much "style". I guess when it quits working I'll toss it and buy another. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll give you $50 for it.....

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I won't lie, I do like that little 1:8 223 Ranch shorty...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A closed port makes the action stiffer, and in theory more accurate.

You don't need an open port with a magazine fed platform anyway. You can still drop rounds in and shoot from the bench, so what is the difference?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I'll give you $50 for it.....

grin

Maybe when I'm ready to "dispose" of it!

Last edited by willecoyote; 10/20/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And yes, a Tikka is still considered a flaming POS. [/quote]

We've already debated the flames and queers discussion and I fully understand where you stand on that issue. No thanks!

Shod

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Gosh, there must be something wrong with me. Between my Daughter and I we have 5 Tikkas. They all shoot under an inch and the Tikka Compact she just got shoots around a half inch, and these are 5 shot groups. I also have a new Ruger Hawkeye that is extremely accurate. Talking to Ruger about the American they said the best you could get the trigger pull down to would be three and a half lbs if you were lucky. Our Tikkas are set at 2 1/2 lbs. Not knocking the Americans but my choice would be the Tikkas although Ruger has some of the best customer service in the industry.

Last edited by coyote268; 10/20/14.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Tikka....hands down.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to spend more to get less, Tikka is a great place to start. A low budget rifle without a low budget price......

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
If you want to spend more to get less, Tikka is a great place to start. A low budget rifle without a low budget price......

You left out "high quality performance".

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Tikka may not seem like a low budget price for your pay grade however most folks know that it's mere pennies and easy as pissing in a pot. Big hole, easy shot

Hint......try some education, and get a job.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 10/20/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's funny to hear guys with cabinets full of guns whine about price....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The original poster didn't ask what those of us who have both think of them based upon price paid, just what we think about them in relation to each other.

Me, I'll take a Tikka if you are giving it to me any day ending in "Y"

If you want to start talking about which one I would buy for a beater, the answer may be different....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been wondering this myself. Daughter wants a hunting rifle, loves my Steyer in 6.5X57, but no one can reload but myself. She and SIL will be moving away soon. Suppose I could send ammo, but expensive if done by the rules. If the Tikkas were priced where they were when I bought them then no decision at all. Tikka. Have not shot a Ruger American, but handled them. Seems to be Ruger's answer to the Tikka. Perhaps not as well done. Reviews and comment's seem good. Price is right...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gunsmith requested a tikka action if I decide to have him do another custom as according to him the actions are true and require no machine work.

Shod

Holy f**cking $hit.

This HAS to qualify as a 24HCF Instant Classic.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's difficult to classify rifles that have drastically different standards in machine work in the same class

Shod

Yes, you are finally right about something.

I bet that plastic bolt shroud, plastic magazine, plastic trigger guard, and that free floating chunk of aluminum they call a "recoil lug" must require the utmost in machining skill/labor/time/cost. No doubt justifying the Tikkas higher price tag, as compared to other entry level rifles. I mean they gotta have a solid 5� into the "recoil lug" alone.

The [bleep]**er probably requires LESS machining than any other centerfire bolt rifle in existence.

Let's not forget the bolt stop for "short actions", either.

Congratulations on proving yourself completely clueless to the masses.

And congratulations on finding a gunsmith as completely inept about rifles as you are. Sounds like a match made in dumbf**k heaven.......

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Both are low price point rifles. Beretta is moving in the wrong direction for that. My hunting pard bought one this past Christmas and paid over 600.00. He then spent 250 more for a B&C stock to drop it in because his factory stock was giving him fits. Now it drops em in 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. That's a lot of coin to me for all the plastic you get, but it shoots great and he's happy with it.

The ruger American is 300 at my LGS down the road and cuts as many corners and has plenty of plastic itself, but it is at the right price point for what you get, and most here seem to say they shoot good enough for what you pay.

I could get a sako(used)...Winnie....remmy...whatever dressed in all metal for the 850 price point above and IMHO a much better ROI for what I purchased.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The issue isn't the price, it's the value. Paying double for similar features is silly.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
It's difficult to classify rifles that have drastically different standards in machine work in the same class

Shod

Yes, you are finally right about something.

I bet that plastic bolt shroud, plastic magazine, plastic trigger guard, and that free floating chunk of aluminum they call a "recoil lug" must require the utmost in machining skill/labor/time/cost. No doubt justifying the Tikkas higher price tag, as compared to other entry level rifles. I mean they gotta have a solid 5� into the "recoil lug" alone.

The [bleep]**er probably requires LESS machining than any other centerfire rifle in existence.

Let's not forget the bolt stop for "short actions", either.

Congratulations on proving yourself completely clueless to the masses.

And congratulations on finding a gunsmith as completely inept about rifles as you are. Sounds like a match made in dumbf**k heaven.......

At least you have a good attitude about it. wink

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

The issue isn't the price, it's the value. Paying double for similar features is silly.

Kinda like Remington vs Sako?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gunsmith requested a tikka action if I decide to have him do another custom as according to him the actions are true and require no machine work.

Shod

Holy f**cking $hit.

This HAS to qualify as a 24HCF Instant Classic.........

I believe Chad Dixon had a thread on a Tikka build he did and was pretty
impressed.

Anyone building off RAR's yet? Be curious to see that and if there's ever going to be a stock worth a chit for them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Can you always smell burning rubber from a meltdown when 2muchgun posts?

He seems to be a Boxer wannabe. Probably a nice guy when he takes his meds.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Can you always smell burning rubber from a meltdown when 2muchgun posts?

He seems to be a Boxer wannabe. Probably a nice guy when he takes his meds.

She forgot to mention my window licking, my [bleep] stuck on the couch, or my whine and pretend. grin

I think I like boxer better as he would have at least offered to send vagisil to remedy my situation. smile

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right now I'm envisisioning you and your "gunsmith" sharing a large bowl of paint chips as I try to fathom why anyone would choose a Tikka as the basis of a custom build. Tikka custom= oxy moron. Moron.

You could not possibly start with less. What part of the rifle would you save? "Here is my custom build, based on a Tikka T3 trigger".

Half the rifle is made by the Lego Divsion of Playskool, as subcontracted by Fisher Price.

Do you even know wtf a blue printed action is?

And there is a reason why the T3 receiver is "enclosed" . Care to take a crack at it, Mr. Tight Tolerances?

You are way over your head here. And started $hit with the wrong guy......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somebody has a case of the Munday's......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Exactly. IMO, the Ruger is a better design and better value. And yes, I have a $hit ton of guns. None say "Tikka" on them for a reason.

The prices they charge to replace their plastic garbage is also absurd. But what's even more of a joke is their "customer service".

I own some Sakos and shotguns and have dealt with Beretta. Quite possibly the worst CS in the firearms industry.

And yes, like Larry I have a low tolerance for imbeciles who run their mouths about $hit they obviously haven't the first clue about..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somebody has a case of the Munday's......

No, I'm good grin

Some just need to be put in their place at times when their mouths overrun their tiny brains.....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You are way over your head here. And started $hit with the wrong guy......

[/quote]

Yes you are the wrong guy! Your wrong about just about everything!

Congratulations...your vagisil is in the mail.

PS...left a present for you on the disappointed in Ruger american thread.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 10/21/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There were a coupla boobs on an earlier post too...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys do realize all this is over $350 rifle, right?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess he just doesn't like Tikka's. I do. Mine is a terrific shooter. And, I happen to know of a couple of well respected guys that have had custom long range shooters built off Tikka Actions, and they are very pleased with the results.

I would not be inclined to have a custom gun built off the RAR action. I would, however, be perfectly happy to have one built off the Hawkeye action, Sako action, new M70 action, or some of the high dollar options.

I wonder if 2muchmouth is still foaming at the mouth? The guy is going to have a heart attack if people keep doing insane things like buying and liking Tikkas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best thing going is that with a RAR you can shoot 223 cheaper than 22 magnum.

Discuss.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You guys do realize all this is over $350 rifle, right?

Yes sir smile it's just that 2muchs twat seems to have a bad irritation so I'm just rubbing it for her. grin

Shod

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Honestly, if I didn't already have a 223 in the Hawkeye, I'd buy it in the RAR. Or, I might get another Tikka as my 223 rifle. Or maybe I'd buy the RAR and tell everyone I got the Tikka just to fire up 2muchmucous.

I used to think that there was NO reason to ever want a 223, but then I bought one. And now it gets shot more than anything else that I have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can a RAR top a Tikka? Inquiring minds wanna know.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
603Country, I shoot a 223 more than any other rifle I own as of a year ago. I didn't realize what I was missing out on all these years.

And yes I would even be happy with the RAR and may even get one.

Shod

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hasve 2 Tikkers. They look like this:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And shoot like this:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Maybe a RAR does the same? I need to buy one and find out.
I can say that I don't mind beating on these Tikkas...they take it and weight ~7 lbs. Polymer (not plastic per se) is tougher than metal in many ways. Ask Glock or even a very knowledgeable Engineer... grin

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't need either, but if an 18" RAR bugholed 75 Amax and fit in the magbox, slapping a SWFA up top would be about the best you could do for $700. Which is $50 more than the last Tonka I looked at, without a scope.

Better yet would be a Ranch with a can. That'd be the cats ass...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting.......
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All I know is my RAR doesnt shoot anywhere near as good as my T3.

The action on the RAR looks and feels like it was machined by a drunk gorilla with a rock. There are machine ridges inside the action that are easily 1/32" high and it sounds like hitting rumble strips along the highway every time I close the bolt. I'm not complaining about it, but that is what it is.

Compare that to the action on a T3. No, you cant, there is no comparison. If I get my RAR shooting for groups I'll gladly overlook the shoddy quality and clunky brick of a bolt.

I can feed my T3 just about any combination of powder/bullet in my handloads and it shoots MOA. Dial it down to the powder charge and bullets it likes and it shoots 3/8 to 1/2" groups.

I've seen some impressive groups posted here from the Ruger, but have only found ONE load that will shoot MOA in mine.

Eat moose, burn spruce
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't need either, but if an 18" RAR bugholed 75 Amax and fit in the magbox, slapping a SWFA up top would be about the best you could do for $700. Which is $50 more than the last Tonka I looked at, without a scope.

There will be a few that'll shoot like tikkas and a lot that never will. To build consistent shooters tolerances have to be held to strict standards and its not there with the RAR.

To compare features is realistic and a good way to go.

To compare accuracy will pan out to be nothing short of a pipe dream.

Shod

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Interesting.......
[Linked Image]

16bore, it really is not all that interesting. Nothing more than an entry level rifle that so far has proved to offer less than savage or marlin in terms of accuracy.

Shod

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Interesting.......
[Linked Image]

16bore, it really is not all that interesting. Nothing more than an entry level rifle that so far has proved to offer less than savage or marlin in terms of accuracy.

Shod

16bore, I say get one, that tan stock is begging for an overspray of black webbing. I feel like I've gotten my moneys worth out of my RAR already, I just enjoy trying different rifles and working loads. I've never had a Tikka but very likely will someday.

Shod, I'm pleased with the accuracy, but maybe I got lucky.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There will be a few that'll shoot like tikkas and a lot that never will. To build consistent shooters tolerances have to be held to strict standards and its not there with the RAR.

To compare features is realistic and a good way to go.

To compare accuracy will pan out to be nothing short of a pipe dream.

Shod

Please do tell of these tolerances you keep speaking of.

What tolerances are Tikkas held to?

What tolerances are the others held to?

"Comparing features is a good way to go":

Tikka:

Plastic bolt shroud

Plastic magazine

Plastic trigger guard

Free floating chunk of aluminum "recoil lug" (what are the tolerances of IT?)

One action length

Enclosed loading port

Hollow tupperware stock

Higher price tag

Abysmal customer service

Please DO categorically expound on the advantages of said features..........

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
16 - good shooting - RAR right?

Deernut - tell us about your stocks.

Re: tolerances - I know many smiths have said, inc one I know who built
603s T3 custom 260 (bugholes btw) comment no truing needed.
Factory trigger crisp n light in thirty seconds. T3s do have a long term
Record for accuracy. See 6.5x55 above. Surprised JB does not have one...yet.
A Tikka Continental won a British 1K shoot, 10 shots in 4.4"

So although all else equal I'd grab a Sako, for less $ you can
Still get their bbl, a good trigger, slick as butter action for the price
of many other rifles. If RARs build a long term accuracy reputation
And keep price point, it should give T3s a run.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
65BR- raff out roud. It was a Tonka.

I'd say run over a Tikka mag and any other DBM and see what happens.

Tikka's are going through what Glocks did back in the 80's.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Golly. I think someone has either a bad tooth ache or maybe the worst case of Hemorrhoids in the history of mankind.

Pears and aspirin sent 2much. And my hopes for a speedy recovery.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
2muchgun,

Apparently rubbing your irritated twat for you isn't working.

I guess you'll just have to stand there stiffed legged with knees locked while I remedy the situation.

Has the vagisil I sent showed up in the mail?

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 10/22/14.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Be curious to see that and if there's ever going to be a stock worth a chit for them.

I have been off the fire a while and had this same question. I just had the 'Merican and tikka side by side and the stock on the Ruger was horrid. Boyds offers a few styles for the Ruger for $113. I would just like to know if the Ruger provided a conventional bedding surface.

A predator in 6.5 creedmore sounds perfect for the wife, wish they would offer the 6.5 in their standard all weather.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey you two schitbags, Big Stick called and wants his diatribe back. I swear to phuqq, you guys act like a coupla of phfuqqin idiots.

Buy what the phuqq you want and live happily ever after. Jiminyphuqq, is chit that complicated? Is the world too phuqqin stupid that a grown phuqqin man can't pick out a [bleep] rifle and shoot?

Apparently fuqqing so...

Don't forget to give each other "hints" and "grins". Maybe just cut and paste to save yourself some time.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
FWIW - Here's a picture of the RAR bedding system.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by varmintsinc
A predator in 6.5 creedmore sounds perfect for the wife, wish they would offer the 6.5 in their standard all weather.

Ruger did offer it at one time in the sporter weight stainless all weather rifle, but the current web site doesn't show it available at this time in 6.5 CM.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Thanks for the pic, looks like bedding would not be to bad, just two side luggettes.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think this whole thread is going down the toilet. Between my Daughter and I we have 5 Tikkas and one Sako. They all shoot well under an inch 5 shot group and her new compact is an amazing shooter. Now, to the American. Yes it is less expensive and some say not as good as the Tikka but lets give Ruger a ten for producing a good rifle at a moderate price. It is even coming out in a LH which means Ruger has listened to what the consumers want and is trying to fill that gap. I have a new Ruger Hawkeye and it shoots better than I can hold it. Rugers customer service is unmatched in the industry as far as I am concerned. 50 years of gunsmithing I feel qualifies me to make that statement. Now to the cost factor. Pro rate the cost of the rifle and scope etc. to its years of use you get out of it and I think in that span you have probably spent more per year on Beer than the pro-rated cost of the rifle. What's the old saying, to each his own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A typical answer from someone unable to back up the BS they sling. As expected. Further validating your cluelessness.

I'd kindly offer you the vagisil you requested earlier if I thought it would increase your rifle IQ. But maybe this would be more appropriate as your ass must be sore right now
[Linked Image]

Whomever said "ignorance is bliss" nailed it. It must be pretty cool to live in a world where plastic budget rifles made by the Lego Division of Playskool, as subcontracted by Fisher Price come with hand lapped match grade barrels and fully blueprinted actions laugh laugh laugh

Do us ALL a favor. Go sit back down at the kiddie table and STFU..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting.......
[Linked Image]

16bore, it really is not all that interesting. Nothing more than an entry level rifle that so far has proved to offer less than savage or marlin in terms of accuracy. Shod

Just how much BS can you ALL tolerate from this idiot? Nothing but one UNFOUNDED claim after another.

PROVED TO WHO? WHERE? Let's see it.

Show us your Marlins, Americans, Savages, and Tikkas you own/shoot in which you have based the wealth of knowledge you have bestowed upon us all.

LMAO.

Posers are fun to f**ck with.

I gotta go take a shod.......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A typical answer from someone unable to back up the BS they sling. As expected. Further validating your cluelessness.

I'd kindly offer you the vagisil you requested earlier if I thought it would increase your rifle IQ. But maybe this would be more appropriate as your ass must be sore right now
[Linked Image]

Whomever said "ignorance is bliss" nailed it. It must be pretty cool to live in a world where plastic budget rifles made by the Lego Division of Playskool, as subcontracted by Fisher Price come with hand lapped match grade barrels and fully blueprinted actions laugh laugh laugh

Do us ALL a favor. Go sit back down at the kiddie table and STFU..........

Are you always this angry or does the word Tikka trigger it?

I'm curious. How many RAR's do you own or have you had personal experience with to be so forceful with your opinions?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You know if you two dipchits met in person, you'd probably pop a few primers, giggle like school girls, and have a beer........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not angry at all and take this stuff FAR less seriously than you may think, or how I may come off.

If I told you how many rifles I've owned/shot you probably wouldn't believe me. Lets just say my opinions are based on real world experinces and that I may have a clue of what a decent rifle design/ value entails, and leave it at that.

As for the RAR, I've not made any forceful claims about it, so not sure what you mean. I do feel it is a better design and value than the Tikka. My bud bought one and it shoots right about 1" with 2 factory loads. I'm quite sure it is capable of even better, especially if I handloaded for it.

Shod, however has made plenty of forceful claims about several budget rifles accuracy, machining, and features, all of which he is obviously incapable of backing up. This should be self evident....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You know if you two dipchits met in person, you'd probably pop a few primers, giggle like school girls, and have a beer........

Quite possible.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He may even learn a thing or 3 grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be curious to see that and if there's ever going to be a stock worth a chit for them.

I have been off the fire a while and had this same question. I just had the 'Merican and tikka side by side and the stock on the Ruger was horrid. Boyds offers a few styles for the Ruger for $113. I would just like to know if the Ruger provided a conventional bedding surface.

The main design point of the RAR stock and bedding system is that it provides a solid lock down into the stock and is very light weight and inexpensive to manufacture. Bedding would not offer any improvement to that design, so a higher quality stock that can be bedded is not necessary.

The Ruger stock is a purely functional item as a handle to point the barrel, and while it is severely lacks asthetic appeal to those who favor blue steel and wood, from an engineering design standpoint it is an elegant solution.

As long as the action screws are tight and the barrel is free-floating accuracy will be optimized for every rifle that comes off the assembly line without any need for bedding.

That one design concept is 200% better than the Tikka, that can develop issues in hard kickers, but the Tikka design objective is the same.

The price difference between the two is likely due to profits taken off the top by Beretta as the importer.

I like the RAR more than I like the Tikka, but I like the Tikka a lot more than I like Beretta.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
2muchgun, I think its a good idea if this nonsence stops now before things happen we'll both regret. You'll do well to no further reply to me. I'll do the same.

Shod

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has been a long fight over two rifles that most of us like.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
16 - what bbl length - 22.5? Speed? Very nice.

Guessing Lapua or WW brass?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm not angry at all and take this stuff FAR less seriously than you may think, or how I may come off.

If I told you how many rifles I've owned/shot you probably wouldn't believe me. Lets just say my opinions are based on real world experinces and that I may have a clue of what a decent rifle design/ value entails, and leave it at that.

As for the RAR, I've not made any forceful claims about it, so not sure what you mean. I do feel it is a better design and value than the Tikka. My bud bought one and it shoots right about 1" with 2 factory loads. I'm quite sure it is capable of even better, especially if I handloaded for it.

Shod, however has made plenty of forceful claims about several budget rifles accuracy, machining, and features, all of which he is obviously incapable of backing up. This should be self evident....

Now I know why I've perhaps found my new guru in life. Do you own thousands of rifles, maybe? Wow and yippee!

So the complete answer to my RAR question is one? But of course it's wrapped around a lifetime of other experiences that have brought about the unmatched evolution of your obviously unchallengeable knowledge base? Are you perhaps a rocket scientist?

You are an amazing individual. Now if you can just get the narcissism issue fixed you will possibly be the new Einstein of some very small world.

Am I wrong?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still not seeing the forceful comments you claim I made in reference to the Ruger. And therefore have no idea why you keep bringing it up? Did you imagine them?

Do you posess subpar reading comprehension skills?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Still not seeing the forceful comments you claim I made in reference to the Ruger. And therefore have no idea why you keep bringing it up? Did you imagine them?

Do you posess subpar reading comprehension skills?

I'm not claiming anything, sir. I'm simply in awe of your greatness.

As for my reading comprehension, I got A's in reading comprehension in grade school, but that was years ago. Maybe it's just an illusion on my part as I try to assess your obvious greatness.

Added:
Or maybe it results from your obviously intense dislike for a Tikka rifle in comparison. No reading comprehension issues there.

Last edited by BayouRover; 10/23/14.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
16 - what bbl length - 22.5? Speed? Very nice.

Guessing Lapua or WW brass?

[Linked Image]

Run of the mill 30-06 Tikka, Talley LW's, and a lowly 6x42 M1. Blistering speed of 2,820 FPS outta RP hulls.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

The main design point of the RAR stock and bedding system is that it provides a solid lock down into the stock and is very light weight and inexpensive to manufacture. Bedding would not offer any improvement to that design, so a higher quality stock that can be bedded is not necessary.

The Ruger stock is a purely functional item as a handle to point the barrel, and while it is severely lacks asthetic appeal to those who favor blue steel and wood, from an engineering design standpoint it is an elegant solution.

I can understand the bedding being usable but the forend in the ruger was about as stiff as cooked spagetti. I guess I can take a look at reinforcing it like I have on some other ghetto rigs. Thanks for the insight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Deernut - tell us about your stocks.

Stock on the T3 Lite is a B&C Medalist. Skim bedded at the recoil lug and tang.

Stock on the T3 Hunter is the original off the T3 Lite. I skim bedded that one too then I sanded down the Euro-look 'checkering' and gave it a custom rattle-can finish job of my own camo design. blush

The wood stock off the T3 Hunter is in a box in my reloading room.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I can understand the bedding being usable but the forend in the ruger was about as stiff as cooked spagetti. I guess I can take a look at reinforcing it like I have on some other ghetto rigs. Thanks for the insight.

I think I'm going to pick up a RAR in 243 for the wife. I'm thinking some fiberglass poured in the fore end will stiffen 'er up.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I can understand the bedding being usable but the forend in the ruger was about as stiff as cooked spagetti.

You've obviously never had my wife's spaghetti. It's very McMillanish...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 1Deernut

I think I'm going to pick up a RAR in 243 for the wife. I'm thinking some fiberglass poured in the fore end will stiffen 'er up.

Varmit, that's an accurate description of the forend, I have filled other similar cheap stocks with acraglass and I'll probably do the same to the RAR. I opened the barrel channel slightly where it was touching the right side of the barrel but if you're not careful its pretty easy to torque or twist the forend into the barrel especially shooting off a bipod.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
20 minutes with a rounded soldering iron will make that "checkering" a ton more grippy..
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Tikkas are terrible in the accuracy department. I almost shot into the .2s while shooting off the porch of my cabin and making adjustments for the elevation change...

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I haven't had the chance to shoot a Ruger American, but the Tikka seems like such a better rifle. The couple T3s I've shot were pretty accurate too.

Keep your eye on the fruit........
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Tikkas are terrible in the accuracy department. I almost shot into the .2s while shooting off the porch of my cabin and making adjustments for the elevation change...

[Linked Image]

POS...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Clearly a POS...

[Linked Image]

As these two muley bucks each fell over dead in disgust at 598 yards... they couldn't handle the shame... laugh wink

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Musta died laughing.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Anyone ever heard of the 11 second scrambled egg? At 500 yds?

Your Every Liberal vote promotes Socialism and is an
attack on the Second Amendment. You will suffer the consequences.

GOA,Idaho2AIAlliance,AmericanFirearmsAssociation,IdahoTrappersAssociation,FoundationForWildlifeManagement ID and MT.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I see a Ruger american compact 223 1-8 on Bud's for $342.00, I don't think Tikka makes the 223 in 1-8 any longer, 10 ounces heavier than the Kimber montana in 223 but twisted faster.

Last edited by jimmyp; 10/25/14.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

[Linked Image]

Just because this is common of tikka rifles doesn't prove anything. grin

How is there customer service? Seems nobodys ever had to use it? How can you prove a rifles worth if it has never seen customer service? smile

Shod

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Its a good think the Tikkas are dependable as Beretta's customer service sucks!!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by coyote268
Its a good think the Tikkas are dependable as Beretta's customer service sucks!!!

Its most certainly been stated a lot more often than not and I believe it. smile

Honda also has terrible customer service and it is well known by the very few who have had to use it.

I suspect that companies that build an incredible product really suck at customer service as they are rather inept at using the feature.

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So nobody here has ever heard of the plastic bolt shroud breaking or recoil lug issues on the larger chamberings?

I notice 16 has replaced his shroud. Why?

Odd, as they are pretty common problems and I have read of them MANY times.

Tikkas are the perfect rifle for those who know not of rifles. If you simply go out and hunt/shoot, they are fine until something possibly breaks. If you are a lifelong rifle junkie and HAVE to know what's under the hood, they are very disappointing.

If you actually KNEW what you were getting for your money, it just may bother you a bit. If it doesn't, it should IMO.

For the record, I know Tikkas shoot well. Never said they didn't. But please don't try to turn them into something they are not. They have excellent triggers/barrels. EVERY other part of the rifle is an OBVIOUS attempt to shave cost.

They shoot no better than 700s, Savages, Marlins, Americans, Vanguards....other rifles that offer more for less.

I say this because I actually HAVE shot multiples of all except for the American(1). Guess what? Every last one of them is capable of stellar accuracy. Not just Tikkas like the Tikka owners like to claim, or just Savages like the Savage guys claim, etc. ALL of them.

I'm glad you all like your Tikkas. I find them to offer nothing better than said others, and in some cases markedly less at a higher price. JMO.

And I truly hope none of you do have to use Beretta CS to pay ridiculous prices to replace your plastic parts or recoil lug. Horrible CS.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I notice 16 has reoplaced his shroud. Why?

'Cause rizzy be the color, sucka....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

'cept when it be blue..
[Linked Image]

I believe Tommy Boy said it best:

"I can take a dump in a box and put a warranty on it and its still a pile of schit"

Aftermarket steel lug is $29.99. That shroud was about 80 boomerangs from down under and you won't be finding another.

Aluminum lugs get a small crease in them that could possibly cause the groups to open up from 1/4" to 3/8" under the right conditions.

What I'd love to see is a NIB RAR and NIB T3 shot side by side with 4 or 5 types of factory ammo and let the numbers work themselves out.

The rest is Coke and Pepsi....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice. I like the blue one.

Never owned one but have seen pics of bent lugs on 300wsm and such. I personally can't get over the sight of one. The price tag doesn't help. You shouldn't have to pay for aftermarket parts replacements given their price IMO.

Both rifles are capable of fine accuracy and more than good enough for hunting. One just happens to cost a lot less.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Never owned one but have seen pics of bent lugs on 300wsm and such. I personally can't get over the sight of one. The price tag doesn't help. You shouldn't have to pay for aftermarket parts replacements given their price IMO.

Both rifles are capable of fine accuracy and more than good enough for hunting. One just happens to cost a lot less.....

"Never owned one... I've seen pics... Perfect for someone who knows nothing about rifles... One cost a lot less..."

I seem to have heard this chit on the internet before. You've voiced your opinion. It's nothing more, and getting old.

I own or have owned more rifles, makes and models than most, including several customs. FTR I have not owned a 'Merican, but would not discount one like you have the Tikka when there are several times more positive reviews by people who own them (including me), and experienced, mostly, very positive results. In FACT it's tough to find a rifle that shoots better out of the box than a Tikka. Entry level? Maybe. But I have customs with Krieger, Shilen, Douglas and even built a couple of Mausers with WWII surplus Browning 30 machine gun barrels cut, chambered, crowned, threaded to fit. Few shoot as well as my Tikka in 260. Is a Ruger American a better value? I don't know. I've SEEN some 'Mericans on the WWW that do very well and others that can't hit a bull in the azz at 50 yards. Is a Montana or a McMillan or a Kimber a better value? I can show proof of what a Tikka can do. I have few rifles that will even duplicate it's accuracy. For the price, I, and many here would call it a value. No factory rifle is perfect and few customs are. Most are a series of compromises. Some are acceptable to Some. I know ALOT about rifles. I happen to like a Tikka just fine, and at it's price point. That's MY opinion.

I know a few things about metal and a few things about 'plastic'. Sometimes plastic is better. Glock is one of the most respected manufacturers of pistols that professionals at high risk place their confidence in every day. I still like my all-metal 1911s, but will not be so stupid to argue a Glock (or any of their many copy-cats from S&W, CZ, and many more) a POS based on the fact it has a few detractors on the WWW, most of whom never touched one. I would only be declaring my ignorance on Glocks. By the way, I own a BUNCH of handguns too.

Like 16 said, shoot 'em both and see where the numbers fall. My money is on the Tikka until I get a 'Merican that proves otherwise. I own several Rugers already. Might as well try one for myself. Also FTR, I think both are God awful ugly from the manufacturer.

"...the rest is Coke and Pepsi." Well said.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't believe the members here and on other sites FAKED the problems/pictures of said bent recoil lugs. Nor did a guy I know who sent me cell phone pics asking me wtf was the deal.

AGAIN, you are making accuracy claims. And AGAIN, I never typed a word about poor accuracy. Apparently, that is ALL a Tikka owner has to go on. Accuracy claims that anyone can make. Simply because discussing the actual parts of the rifle, categorically, will surely prove futile, if not downright embarrassing.

I don't feel it is "tough to find a rifle that shoots as well as a Tikka out of the box". It seems only Tikka owners feel this way. Have done it many times. It also seems that MOST (maybe not you) haven't many examples to compare. That goes back to the "entry level rifle" thing.

I fully understand what you are conveying about plastic parts. But you are missing the point. Plastic costs NADA to produce, while others sell you STEEL for LESS.

Please answer this question:

Why does a Tikka with hammer forged barrel, plastic magazine, plastic trigger guard, plastic bolt shroud, aluminum recoil lug, hollow tupperware stock, and a one action length receiver machined so thin that it HAS to be enclosed to be sufficiently rigid, cost MORE money than other rifles that shoot comparably well and offer you steel over plastic?

Answer that, without getting your panties in a wad, or calling me names, and maybe, just maybe, an intelligent conversation can ensue.

As far as you knowing "A LOT" about rifles, that remains to be seen.......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well I have two Tikka's, Mount scope go out and shoot just about anything into under an inch at 100 yards. Have Winchesters, Remingtons, etc, THEY DO NOT DO THAT, without work. Can they, yes. Triggers, yep with work and money. Have found loads they like, but.. Never have had anything break, fall off, miss a animal, or any problem with a Tikka. Are they plastic, made to a price, yes. But DAMN they do work. Perhaps The Ruger American is a good one, but I do not have one yet. I really doubt that it can be better however.. At it's price point perhaps, again plastic made to a price point. As a betting man I would take my Tikka against just about any hunting rifle at 100 yards. I bought mine when they were just around what the Ruger American costs now. YMMV

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you say your Tikka shoots great, kills well, and you are very happy with it, I have ZERO problems with that. NONE.

What I have a problem with is when I'm told other rifles cannot/do not do same. And many for less money. I KNOW otherwise.

It is very hard for me to justify their price point, given their accomodations......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't believe the members here and on other sites FAKED the problems/pictures of said bent recoil lugs. Nor did a guy I know who sent me cell phone pics asking me wtf was the deal.

AGAIN, you are making accuracy claims. And AGAIN, I never typed a word about poor accuracy. Apparently, that is ALL a Tikka owner has to go on. Accuracy claims that anyone can make. Simply because discussing the actual parts of the rifle, categorically, will surely prove futile, if not downright embarrassing.

I don't feel it is "tough to find a rifle that shoots as well as a Tikka out of the box". It seems only Tikka owners feel this way. Have done it many times. It also seems that MOST (maybe not you) haven't many examples to compare. That goes back to the "entry level rifle" thing.

I fully understand what you are conveying about plastic parts. But you are missing the point. Plastic costs NADA to produce, while others sell you STEEL for LESS.

Please answer this question:

Why does a Tikka with hammer forged barrel, plastic magazine, plastic trigger guard, plastic bolt shroud, aluminum recoil lug, hollow tupperware stock, and a one action length receiver machined so thin that it HAS to be enclosed to be sufficiently rigid, cost MORE money than other rifles that shoot comparably well and offer you steel over plastic?

Answer that, without getting your panties in a wad, or calling me names, and maybe, just maybe, an intelligent conversation can ensue.

As far as you knowing "A LOT" about rifles, that remains to be seen.......

I will answer any question you have but only after you show evidence that I called you names, or even suggested your 'panties in a wad'. Intelligent conversation is something you need to prove capable of, not me, given everything I've seen you post recently. Up to you.

And I think I have a clue about a few things. Won't claim to know it all, or even a fraction of some, but my 'neighbor' gunsmith calls me often when something has him stumped and I have built, modified and repaired a few rifles in my time. I would like to think my firearms knowledge is above average. I have a feeling you won't think so given your propensity for defending your 'opinions' so rabidly, but maybe I just misunderstand your posts here...

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Said comments WERE NOT pointed at you. Not suggesting you did any such thing......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Said comments WERE NOT pointed at you. Not suggesting you did any such thing......

Ok. Fair enough.

Why do I think a Tikka cost ~$100 to $150 more than a Ruger American equipped roughly in a similar fashion? Simple, really. It's all about market and perception. The Tikka rifles have a pretty darn good perceived value which is what determines what price the market will bear. If a potential buyer has the perception that he can buy a Tikka off the shelf, take it home and mount a scope, bore sight it, take it to the range and shoot 1" groups with most of what he decides to run through it, he has no problem laying down his hard-earned cash. Beretta prices their rifle to what the market bears. Simple economics, really. Has little to do with cost to manufacture.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Well I have two Tikka's, Mount scope go out and shoot just about anything into under an inch at 100 yards. Have Winchesters, Remingtons, etc, THEY DO NOT DO THAT, without work. Can they, yes. Triggers, yep with work and money. Have found loads they like, but.. Never have had anything break, fall off, miss a animal, or any problem with a Tikka. Are they plastic, made to a price, yes. But DAMN they do work. Perhaps The Ruger American is a good one, but I do not have one yet. I really doubt that it can be better however.. At it's price point perhaps, again plastic made to a price point. As a betting man I would take my Tikka against just about any hunting rifle at 100 yards. I bought mine when they were just around what the Ruger American costs now. YMMV

Pretty bold statement, but I respect the confidence you have in your rifle. That kind of confidence puts a lot of meat in the freezer, I'm sure. My rifles all shoot well and I guess I could offer up a bet of the same nature, but won't since I've shot competition and have had my azz handed to me by a guy using a cheap as hell stevens 200. Price point doesn't always guarantee sub moa groups and as we are all aware of, the stevens 200, Ruger American, Savage, and Marlin X, can all shoot well right out of the box. I don't have a problem with any of these rifles or the guys using them. As they say: "To each their own". I will say this: I remember when the Tikka was very affordable when they first came out and now it's priced way up there, so it probably shouldn't be in the same category from a price standpoint as these rifles. Even though it should be, based on concept/design...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this chit is so funny to me

if you're happy with your purchases you've scored the brass ring

you start worrying about making other folks happy with what you buy and use, you're settin yourself up for a lot of frustration.

don't care if you like my rifles, my wife or my life

they all be mine and only have to suit me

you only got to make yourself happy

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Pretty bold statement, but I respect the confidence you have in your rifle. That kind of confidence puts a lot of meat in the freezer, I'm sure. My rifles all shoot well and I guess I could offer up a bet of the same nature, but won't since I've shot competition and have had my azz handed to me by a guy using a cheap as hell stevens 200. Price point doesn't always guarantee sub moa groups and as we are all aware of, the stevens 200, Ruger American, Savage, and Marlin X, can all shoot well right out of the box. I don't have a problem with any of these rifles or the guys using them. As they say: "To each their own". I will say this: I remember when the Tikka was very affordable when they first came out and now it's priced way up there, so it probably shouldn't be in the same category from a price standpoint as these rifles. Even though it should be, based on concept/design...

Well said. The only fun rifles are the accurate ones, regardless of price. The two Tikkas I own are not necessarily the most accurate I own, though the 260 is petty dang close.

In my experience, the Savage products are darn accurate, but the prices have risen to a point that I will not buy another. I'm down to one. Rifles like the RAR may put a hurt on Savage since they were competing on price across the board in their product line in the past. They may price themselves out if they are not careful. Heck, Tikka/Beretta could as well if they continue raising prices.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
this chit is so funny to me

if you're happy with your purchases you've scored the brass ring

you start worrying about making other folks happy with what you buy and use, you're settin yourself up for a lot of frustration.

don't care if you like my rifles, my wife or my life

they all be mine and only have to suit me

you only got to make yourself happy

Absolutley true and I agree 100%. But this is the internet and we need entertainment grin

I REALLY don't want to sound like a braggart. I'm humble and have worked hard for everything I own, and nobody on the planet appreciates same as much as me. Nobody. I don't know what a 40 hr. work week is/feels like. But I have owned SO many GD rifles that if I cried every time someone criticized/critiqued one, I'd be doing a LOT of crying. My feelers don't get hurt over rifles, but some cannot discern the difference over calling a rifle a POS, and saying same of a person, unfortunately. Personal $hit interests me not. If you wanna talk $hit about rifles, bring something to the table or STFU....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Exactly.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say the Sako name lends more to the Tikka than it's design/value.........

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow! Sure am glad there are other folks to take 2muchguns focus off of me.

Just wait until he figures out the Ruger has a Tupperware stock. Nobody will be allowed to ever say anything positive about a Ruger ever again without taking a serious brow beating.

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it actually possible for you to read something and interpret it correctly in the given context?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow! Sure am glad there are other folks to take 2muchguns focus off of me.

Shod

Wow! Sounds like you are jealous, Princess. Otherwise, you wouldn't have purposefully drawn attention to yourself.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I notice your screen name reads "Shodd".

Yet your signature reads "Shod". You can't even spell your own fu**ing name right, dumba$$.........

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Yet your signature reads "Shod". You can't even spell your own fu**ing name right, dumba$$.........

Thanks for pointing that out. smile

Shod grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for pointing that out. smile

Shod grin

Much obliged in helping your kind out with ANY of life's little difficulties you may incur...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
snip.....

"Tikkas are the perfect rifle for those who know not of rifles. "

Snip...

I often choose Tikka. I also have a very extensive background working on .gov/.mil weapons systems, including weeks and weeks of periodic training at various defense manufacturers facilities, not to mention being in charge of some very extensive armories.

Plus, as both a designated defensive marksman, as well as an M24 (remington factory trained) armorer, I might have the practical experience on both sides of the armory bench to completely disagree with your post. But opinions and experiences vary.

The punchline is that I would take a box stock Tikka over a box stock Remington 700 pretty much every time.

Happy hunting!

Cheers!

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
MS, I agree on T3 vs 700, even like an S2 vs 700 in OEM.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mr. 2muchgun says:

......My feelers don't get hurt over rifles, but some cannot discern the difference over calling a rifle a POS, and saying same of a person, unfortunately. Personal $hit interests me not. If you wanna talk $hit about rifles, bring something to the table or STFU....

Then he follows it up with these obviously non-personal comments to Shod:

Is it actually possible for you to read something and interpret it correctly in the given context?

And:

Wow! Sounds like you are jealous, Princess. Otherwise, you wouldn't have purposefully drawn attention to yourself.......

And:

But, again:

���some cannot discern the difference over calling a rifle a POS, and saying same of a person, unfortunately.

That definitely makes me believe that Mr. 2muchgun is someone I�d like to meet in the near future so I can improve my personal life in ways that I'm sure I'm not smart enough to understand until he educates me.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wish my Tikka didn't shoot so well. I bought it on a whim, and it has literally out shot every gun I have ever owned, including a few customs.

Haven't tried a Ruger American yet, but I didn't care for the bendy stock when I handled one in the store. If they come out with some aftermarket stocks, then I will probably try one.

I have never been one to be fashionable though. If it feels good and shoots then I don't care what others say.

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know this is an old thread, but just for interest sake. I can buy the RAR and have a local company make a glass fiber stock of my choice (any shape I would like, as they do not have to put out nearly as many stocks as the US stock makers). The rifle and custom stock would still cost less than what a Tikka would set me back.

If I do not go with a custom stock I would be able to re-barrel the RAR when shot out and still save money smile

Not saying the T3 is bad for one moment (as I recommend them to guys that wants something to shoot straight right out of the box) but for me the RAR would be the better choice.

Pieter

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had formulated several different plans on how I was goint to stiffen/strengthen the stock on my RAR. I realize now that the flexiness of the stock doesn't affect the way it shoots - field positions w/ and w/o a strap, bench, bipod, it shoots to the same POI. I no longer care about the stock being flexy....

I did have to clean up the barrel channel a little bit, it was touching on one side.

David

Last edited by Canazes9; 11/18/14.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good to know

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 3,346 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.