Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I don't think anyone says you have to be from Alaska contribute to this thread.

Most are mearly giving our experience on what we do when we go hunting with a rifle into grizzly country (OP didn't ask about people in KC, cats in Colo, or black bears in New Mexico).

Some of us spend quite a bit more time in grizzly country that others, but that certainly doesn't make your concerns any less valid at all and I don't think anyone is saying that.

We aren't talking about just general backpacking, cause then of course taking a handgun along makes sense. But for a backpack hunt in grizzly country when you are already taking a rifle then it just seems overly redundant to take a handgun IMO, and my opinion is just that so you get what you pay for it.

MH, on your brown bear hunt it wasn't a backpack hunt, in that you weren't carrying your whole camp on your back everyday. In such a situation then sure why not bring a sidearm to go fishing and what not, though I still think its overkill cause you were with a guide but that is your choice not mine so rock on, but this wasn't what the OP said he was going to do. He said he was going backpack hunting in grizzly country, not backpacking in Colorado with mountain lions and black bears. Just trying to keep it on topic.

I certainly respect your opinion/experience based on your hunt up here in Alaska. I just have a different outlook on it. Doesn't make either right or wrong, its a free country (for the most part wink unless you live in Cali) and we can carry whatever amount of firearms we want into the backcountry. I just don't feel the need to take more than one per person and often one handgun or rifle shared is good enough for my backpack hunts.

If the OP sleep better at night cause he has a 30 oz handgun in addition to his rifle then by all means take it...sleep is important on a hunt and 30 oz isn't gonna really make a difference in the scheme of things, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a handgun if I was him and didn't have one.

Depending on his rifle even bringing a 30 oz handgun along might still be lighter than many hunting rifles. My .308 Kimber and 329 PD combined for 7.5 pounds all up and loaded. Its not that it weighs too much, its that I don't see the need for it and I don't like carrying things I don't feel I need.

However if he is trying to justify a handgun purchase....then by all means I agree :), YOU'LL FREAKING DIE IF YOU DON"T HAVE ONE...BUY TWO!!! :P

I agree with you. My bad for failing to account for the backpacking Grizzly aspect. I do carry a light sidearm on my backpack hunts down here, but would not do so on a sheep hunt in AK or an elk hunt in the northern Rocky's etc ... My backpack hunts lately have been 10-miles or fewer and that's not the same. I see the difference.

GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am the OP and wanted to follow up on this thread after the hunt. Thanks for all the great comments. I ended up going with the lighter Glock 23 40 SW instead of the Glock 20 10mm. This saved a half pound of weight for something that would likely never be used. As a backpack hunter that is a big weight savings. I did upgrade to Underwoods Ammo, which adds a lot of power to the 40 with little weight gain. Since I had a rifle, I left the pistol buried in my backpack until night. At night, I kept it handy in the tent. I was hunting alone and it did add a little peace of mind.

On the second night of the hunt, I awoke in the middle of the night to what sounded like a big dog sniffing the tent right at my head. Of course I am thinking it is not a dog. I grabbed the pistol, moved to the center of the tent and hollered at the noise. Things quietened down but I didn't get much sleep the rest of the night. The next morning I couldn't find any tracks since it was a grassy campsite. It could of been the wind causing the tent to rub on my sleeping bag. I will never know but it was comforting having a pistol handy in the tent even if it may have been slightly inadequate, I was at least going to put up a fight if something wanted in my tent.

The Tritium sights were amazing as I could easily see the pistol and didn't have to dig around for it or turn on a light to find it. When comparing the ballistics of the full length Glock 40 SW with Underwoods ammo, it starts approaching the performance of the 44 with a very short barrel with similar weight. The Glock holds more ammo and is something I feel more comfortable shooting. Probably neither is great medicine for Grizzly but better than nothing.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Glocks are good. Glad it worked out for you.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I too find my Glock 23 comforting no matter my location. Snubbie's advice on the HPG kit bag reflects my experience, great combo.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
This is my backpacking/fishing rig. Nothing to pick a fight with but if trouble comes I've got options. Probably won't carry the 29 during rifle season though.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mike_d; 09/14/14.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mike: Nice rig. Have you chronographed those 220 fp in your model 29? Buffalo Bore says 1140 fps in a model 20 with a 4.6" barrel but the model 29 has a 3.8" barrel. What size is your HPG Kit Bag? Thanks for the info. I have a Taurus Ti Tracker 41 mag that I chronographed a 250 fp hard cast at 1265 fps from a 4" ported barrel but the Glock 29 is a much more compact package.

Last edited by bobmn; 09/15/14.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bobmn,

Buffalo Bore hard cast 220's do right at 1100fps from my Glock 29.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
bobmn,
I haven't run the Underwood Hardcast over the Chronograph yet. Box claims 1200 fps, I'm figuring on around 1100. The HPG is their "Runners Kit Bag".

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Walker: Thanks for the info

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mike: That info is valuable. I doubt a Ti Tracker would fit in the Runners Kit Bag. Thanks. Now I have to decide whether 165 fps. and 30 grains of extra bullet weight is worth the bulk. It would be interesting to compare the 2 bullets for penetration at a Linebaugh Seminar.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My 4" 29 fits in the RKB.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

180 members (10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 5sdad, 360bull, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 1,289 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.