Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I don't have a $400 gadget. But I know the science behind it and I know it works.

The science behind it was what I was looking for�...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
ingwe that comment was not aimed at you.

As basdjs has pointed out some of the science behind it. There is a lot about it that can be found by googling it. If you really want to take all the time and effort.

The fact is Ozone works and has been used for a long time. But it's use in a hunting application is very limited.

An even better test and one that proved to me it works is a family member owns a body shop. He had a customer bring a car that was stored for a long time in a garage to be restored. It smelled so bad of cat piss. I was working on my motorcycle on the day it was brought into the shop. I commented that we would be hard pressed to get that stench out. My cousin said no problem in a few hours you will not smell any of it. He sealed everything up and stuck a hose hooked up to an Ozone generator into the car. I came back the next day and could not believe the smell was gone.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You have given me an idea�.

I work with Narcotics Detection dogs. Absolutely nothing we have found deters them in the least from finding dope��.

You know where Im going with this�.. wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Been done already.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If one is spending $400 they are over paying. I got three of them (1 For $50 and 2 of the for $25) I DO NOT take mine into the field with me. I only use mine for deodorizing gear when its not being word/used. Ive loaned them to several people that used them to deodorize smelly cars. They were very pleased with the odor killing ability.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Been done already.

Results?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My buddies dog could not pick up scent on three of the five courses they used. Each course had a set standard. I will have to ask him for more details.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here is an article I read a few years ago.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/14/scent-killing-machine-sweet-choice-terrorists/

I will talk to my buddy next week to see what more details I can get from the departments testing.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks!

That is useful info. The average druggie, or drug trafficker, is not smart enough to put this to good use, but the bomb guys are�.

Last edited by ingwe; 07/11/14.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
ingwe

It all boils down to the same thing, hunting/drugs/bombs. Ozone works just not as advertised. Most want it to be black and white but it is not the case.

Like this stupid comment. I bet if I had a $400 gadget I'd swear it worked too.

There is plenty of proof out there that it works. It may not work as you intend it to. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't work. I don't believe Ozone works at covering your scent by hanging above you in your tree stand. I know for a fact it works to rid clothes of scent. I also know that those same clothes used to hike into your stand are no longer scent free.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ozone works when you can contain the odor and the ozone to a confined space.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
All true�.and a human will never stop exuding scent till he stops breathing�.

I know we tried earlier "scent-free" products on the dogs, Scent Lok clothes, scent killer spray, etc��.there wasn't a thing that made one iota of difference to them. This ozone thingy could have potential. I am currently up to bat ( if the grant is approved�) to do some scent research at the collegiate level. If it comes to pass this would be a good, and useful place to start. Thanks again for the info!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I hope you get the grant. I would also be interested in your research.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ozone works when you can contain the odor and the ozone to a confined space.

For dog work, theres the rub�.Narcotic molecules are very volatile as a rule�so it may not help a lot there, but explosive molecules are very dense and slow moving�.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Would be interesting, to turn on one of the gadgets, walk around, climb a tree stand, and see if a good tracking dog could find you. Do they have similar scent ability to a deer?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tough to say�I think the ability is pretty much the same but dogs have genetically predetermined olfactory receptors to detect odors connected to survival ( i.e. food and procreation) Deer no doubt do too, but their food doesn't fight or try to get away. The neuroscience of the deer's olfactory sense hasn't been picked apart enough yet, as far as I know�
Anyway, the deer isn't born being able to detect and notice scents attached to prey animals ( Epinephrine, diaminopentane etc) and a dog is.( A human can be considered a prey animal�)
Anyone who has hunted them knows the deer's sense of smell is nothing short of astonishing.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep, and I think they understand wind direction, too. At least one old doe I recall, when I was pistol hunting. She saw me through the brush, couldn't decide what I was, circled downwind and instantly busted me when she got directly downwind.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep, they understand it perfectly and detect it with their ears.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Would be interesting, to turn on one of the gadgets, walk around, climb a tree stand, and see if a good tracking dog could find you. Do they have similar scent ability to a deer?

I would say the dog wouldn't have a problem finding you. The ozone isn't concentrated enough to attach to and eliminate the odor in open air environments.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It would also be interesting to find out exactly what the olfactory capabilities of a deer are�.we pretty much know about the dogs now.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.