Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Local 15 acre lake is suppose to have some big catfish in it. Whats your best bait??

If you really like something,you better buy two!
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Depends on what catfish specie. Flatheads? Live bream (sunfish). Some say a chunk of Ivory Soap works, I never tried it. Hot dogs, chicken livers are standards. A variety of commercial stink baits supposedly work. I doubt any of these work better than cutbait.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bait shrimp

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Might try some Johnsonville Brats

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Channel cats - chicken liver
Blue cats - cut bait
Flatheads - live bait

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cheese Whiz stuffed in a piece of hotdog works great around here for catfish.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
catalpa worms if you can find em!

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Miss Mary" Ryan and other commercial catfishermen on the lower Alabama River used to use very stinky old cheese. Could smell it from a long way off. (Wouldn't attract me, and I love cheese.)

There's no accounting for taste � especially with catfish.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had luck with the mentioned baits as well as shad (live or dead), waterdogs, and nightcrawlers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
chicken liver /hearts ...or a wheate ball....or ground up "white house losers" (great stink bait).

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
cut bait??? sorry please be more specific

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
live for flatheads swimps for theothers

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Always prefered cut shad or perch for channels an blues, rake the scales off and filet the whole side off with the skin on. Double it back and forth stitching it on a 6/0-8/0 circle hook on a 16" leader below a 6oz egg sinker, leave some ribs and whatnot poking out of the bait ball more natural presentation that way. If it's a really slow day and they're not biting the cut stuff put the head hooked through the eyes and the gizzard if you're using shad on your rig, seems that they'll be in the mood for one or the other kind of bait but rarely both, we used to always run a dozen rods between three of us and bait two or three with heads and gizzards until we figured out the bite.
Flatheads only eat live bait generally speaking and little panfish rule the day in this realm. Shad aren't very hardy and die pretty quick on the hook, little pumpkinseeds or bluegills, about twice the size of a silver dollar, are much tougher and will live a long time in the bait bucket and on the line. Crappie about the same size usually are the bees knees, but I've only heard this as it would be illegal with them being gamefish and all wink.

Make yourself a couple rod holders out of some tubing and rebar, get a reflector stand for your Coleman lantern and put a wrap of reflective tape on your rodtips. Be careful though, you might end up like I did and spend 4-5 nights a week all summer fishing until 3am.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cats aren't native anywhere west of the Rockys but they've been introduced in a lot of waters. Idaho isn't known as a famous catfishery but we have quite a few in the middle Snake river. The state record channel is 38lb and the record flathead is 58lb. We also have blues but not too many are caught.

I prefer eating cats any day over trout. We're moving in a few weeks to an area with lots of big cats. We'll be less than 1/2 mile from the Snake River and 1 mile from a good boat dock. I'm sure looking forward to it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
think i might head up to the nueses river and catch some , haven't fished sweet water in yrs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In a pond I like cut bait for blues and channels.....of course live perch for Ops. In a river I really like live crawfish. Partly because catfish love them but also because Gasper Gou eat crawfish almost exclusively and I like them to eat just as well as catfish.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I used to fish a lot as a teenager, we always had the best luck with frozen bait shrimp.
If we could find live shiners or shad, they worked very well also. If not we caught perch and cut them up for bait.

And, if you don't have anything else, an Oscar Meyer weeny will work if your out of bait.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by birddog65
cut bait??? sorry please be more specific

Freshly cut pieces of fish, the bloodier the better

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Don't know what kind of cats we were catching but when we lived on a 35 acre lake in SE Kansas Stink Bait, that we bought at local bait shops in PB jars, blobbed onto one of those hooks with the little springy things to grab the "putty" worked like a charm. Worked on turtles too.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We have tons of channels and flatheads here. Son fishes for them religiously. He gets his best results with ivory soap or some soap he gets at Walmart that's from Mexico. It supposedly is 2/3'rds rendered beef fat. Starts with a "Z"....think it's "Zote" soap or something like that.

Goldfish work great for flatheads, but they are supposedly illegal and I know our son would never do anything like that.

Surprised someone has not mentioned deer liver for channels! Stays on the hook way way better than chicken liver and just as bloody. We keep the deer livers from a few deer each year, stick em in the freezer and use em when needed.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shad, cut shad, Shad guts

You're welcome

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by htredneck
Blue cats - cut bait
Flatheads - live bait

This. Also, minnows will catch any of them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cubed Cantor?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Because of the possibility of introducing something we don't want, Idaho prohibits using live fish for bait along with stuff like leeches, frogs, & shrimp. An exception is crayfish and only if caught in the water where you're fishing.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As mentioned previously catalpa worms are good. One thing I used to do was to take a kitchen match..(if people still know what those are..or maybe..were) push it through the worm and turn it inside out. Lets the juices flow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we fish the palmunkey river near richmond va. last week for 2 days and came home with 40lb of fillets. we use cut eel. we buy them live at the bait shop . they are about a foot long,cut the in 1in chunks. they almost impossible to pull off a hook. some use shrimp,clam snouts,cut perch,herring,shad. any kind of fresh fish works really well. catch what ever is available and cut into chunks. use cicle hooks and they will hardly ever get off the hook.

Last edited by srwshooter; 06/11/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hoyt
As mentioned previously catalpa worms are good. One thing I used to do was to take a kitchen match..(if people still know what those are..or maybe..were) push it through the worm and turn it inside out. Lets the juices flow.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep..... and Catalpa skins are tough enough to withstand being chewed on by quite a few fish.... I do however like fishing with cheese dogs or cheddar brats..... raw of course.. smile

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Catalpa worms.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can also take a wad of chsitty terlot paper and cinch it up into some panty hose

Mmmmm, and fish below the WWTP outfall

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Zote is right on soap... or homemade bait soap, with Anise if possible for channels

Amazed no one mentioned, that I saw, regular old worms, use em all the time. And any grasshopper but the green ones seem not as good as regular grasshoppers.

Best by far for channels are helgramites

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We always use O'ROYS dog food chunks for our trot lines and have always had good luck with it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
On a side note, I don't know how many channel cats I've caught with Ivory soap, but that was always on bush hooks and trotlines.

We had a piece of piano wire strung between 2 nails in an old stump that we used to shave pieces off the bar with.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by htredneck
Blue cats - cut bait
Flatheads - live bait

^

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
On a side note, I don't know how many channel cats I've caught with Ivory soap, but that was always on bush hooks and trotlines.

We had a piece of piano wire strung between 2 nails in an old stump that we used to shave pieces off the bar with.

If you wanna use soap, Zote is the ticket.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think I have used Zote before. It's been awhile. I think we used that some on the Chattahoochee.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Should add that soap worked better in the rivers.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My grandfather fished for Channel cats for decades. His bait of choice was rotten nasty smelling liver.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have also taken the first bluegill or bream I catch and hack em up. Seen channel cats chasing sunfish before as I reeled em in while strictly panfishing.

Made me think, hmmmm I guess I could try this yet. It worked.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
You use to be able to buy a gallon of blood($1) at the local slaughter house for cat fish bait. Cut squares of cotton cloth, put a glob of blood on it, fold the ends and tie with string, ready to fish.

Some would "cook" the blood to make it firm enough to stay on the hook. Probably how many commercial cat fish baits are made today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aficionados of catalpa worms might enjoy this article:
CATALPA WORMS

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here in South Louisiana we use Beef Heart cut in small chunks, works well - get it from wal-mart

Small Crawfish is great also

cut fish is good too!

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I didn't read the whole thread for responses, so forgive me if this is redundant.

#1. Live minnows

#2. Raw shrimp

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I grew up in Ca and we used to spend a week at Clear Lake on summer vacation and fish for bass, crappie and catfish. The bait of choice for cats was shelled crawdad tails.

Used to fish for cats in the Delta and the bait of choice there was clams.

In Southern Ca at Big Bear Lake if you were fishing for cats near the boat ramp trout guts worked exceptionally well.

In Northern Ca at Shasta Lake strips of filleted bluegill would catch cats and if you knew where and when (I didn't) it was possible to catch a sturgeon.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rost495
Zote is right on soap... or homemade bait soap, with Anise if possible for channels

Amazed no one mentioned, that I saw, regular old worms, use em all the time. And any grasshopper but the green ones seem not as good as regular grasshoppers.

Best by far for channels are helgramites

Grasshoppers! Yup Jeff, them big green ones!! And hellgrammites always worked good on our end of the Colorado to on channel cats.

Used a big sucker or a perch to get them big yellow cats!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've caught more big, 50-70 lb flatheads on fillet of herring shad than anything else.

I jug fish and often have a lot of live bait as well on my 70 or so jugs. I always get the big flatheads of the shad fillets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Sonnys catfish dip bait with rubber worms. Raw shrimp. And when back in Idaho small rainbow trout (mortality) from the local hatcheries.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Strawberry chicken. Buy skinless boneless breast and cut them into desired chunks put them in a freezer bag and sprinkle a pack of sugar free strawberry Jello, mix it up good put it in the freezer and take it out the night before your going to use it.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the small river near where I grew up, our go to bait for channels was always chicken guts. Grampa would get a 5 gallon bucket of them from a local butcher (I think, he never would divulge where he actually got them ). He would then separate and "strip" them of the connective tissue, put them in bags and freeze for use throughout the summer. If we were fishing in the near future, he would put them in quart size Mason jars and refrigerate. Immediate use meant they sat in the jar on the picnic table for at least overnight. Putting the guts on a hook was a special method, too long to explain here, but easy to do once you were showed how - not just globbed on the hook. If grampa wasn't having any immediate luck catching kitties, he'd reach in the jar for a liver and put it on the hook as well . . . he called that putting on a "bomb". Never saw anyone with the ability to catch catfish like gramps. Funny thing was he didn't like to eat fish, so always gave them away.

Blues and flatheads seem to prefer cut or live bait but channel cats are not as persnickety. I have always heard that if it floats, sinks, stinks or swims, channels will eat it.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
As Take a Knee noted, it depends on the species.

Channel cats: chicken liver, hot dogs, rotten meat, cheeseball, dead fish, etc.

Flathead cats: live bream (sunfish)

Blue cats: fresh cut shad (herring)

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Steelhead

If you wanna use soap, Zote is the ticket.

There used to be bait soap for cats that worked better than Zote. At least for us, but I have not seen it in a long time. Came in thin bars wrapped in paper, just like the thin bars I used to make.

I need to see if you can even buy Lye anymore and make some soap again, home made with anise seed and oil of anise was like a miracle bait at times.

But on the river here it depends on times.. sometimes they go soap, sometimes grasshoppers. Even June bugs at times. Sometimes red wigglers, and sometimes nightcrawlers. Sometimes only one of the above will work...
But helgramites have worked every last time, or they were not biting, like they can do around August at times...

Yellows we've caught only with live bait. And we've used about anything legal. Mudcats are good too but goggle eyes have been best, as long as the gar are not bad. They don't mess with the mudcats as much as with perch.

Largest yellow I"ve seen, was 62 IIRC< and it had in its belly....... an opposum...I don' think you can get bait too large for them.

We've fished with 5-10 gaspers before.... but I guess never in the right time or place, though we've had some 4-5 pound channels on lines swallowed up to the fins....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
we fish the palmunkey river near richmond va. last week for 2 days and came home with 40lb of fillets. we use cut eel. we buy them live at the bait shop . they are about a foot long,cut the in 1in chunks. they almost impossible to pull off a hook. some use shrimp,clam snouts,cut perch,herring,shad. any kind of fresh fish works really well. catch what ever is available and cut into chunks. use cicle hooks and they will hardly ever get off the hook.

This is interesting. We started using circle hooks years back, and caught almost nothing. Went back to Oshaugnessy and found they hadn't quit biting, just we started catching again.

On eels, never thought to use as bait, but know if you catch one, there isn't going to be anything else biting. For some reason.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"There used to be bait soap for cats that worked better than Zote."

Jeff, I think it was called J & B Brand soap. Used to by it at the old grocery store in Bastrop..

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Peeled shrimp or peeled crayfish.

Last edited by 12344mag; 06/11/14.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Salt Pork works pretty good too, tough pig skin stays on the hook, cats like the salty taste can be enhanced with scents.

We used to pop a jack rabbit or mudhen & use the intestines, stays on the hook pretty well, no need for added scent.

[Linked Image]
Keep the Wind in your Face, Sun at your Back, & Silhouette in Shadows
Know guns, know peace, know safety
No guns, no peace, no safety

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Local 15 acre lake is suppose to have some big catfish in it. Whats your best bait??

A set of tanks, flips, respirator, light and spear gun. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is interesting. We started using circle hooks years back, and caught almost nothing.

I use circle hooks quite a lot.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
My brother and I have found that bullheads are best. The bigger the better. 10-14" ones catch big flatheads.
AB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Me too.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I know folks who'll put a live smallmouth bass on a hook when they're going after the big flatheads. They're pretty hardcore, though.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Premo Catfish Dip Bait and surgical tube worms work magic on channel cats and the occasional blue.

I like it because the tub of bait lasts a long time and you never get robbed by smaller fish. Fresh cut bait works awesome but I catch too many gar and turtles. Worms or liver get cleaned off by eels and panfish.

With the stink bait I catch only catfish with the occasional snapping turtle.

Semper Fi

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Here's a resource for you. It has a geographical section so go to your area for specific information. It's a real treasure trove of experience-based information.

United States Catfish Association

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
PS: If Vic_in_Va chimes in, listen up. He's a hard-core catfisherman who goes after those whopper blues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
Strawberry chicken. Buy skinless boneless breast and cut them into desired chunks put them in a freezer bag and sprinkle a pack of sugar free strawberry Jello, mix it up good put it in the freezer and take it out the night before your going to use it.

yep,they use strawberry chicken sometimes here in va.we caught some nice cats last year on it. we never catch any big ones where we fish. but we go after eating size fish. the locals use live eels 12-16in to catch rock fish when they run up the palmunkey to spawn in april. they say on cats use monster hooks and big bait to catch bigger fish. one of them bro's caught a 59lber the day before went. i saw a pic on his phone.

Last edited by srwshooter; 06/11/14.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter

yep,they use strawberry chicken sometimes here in va.we caught some nice cats last year on it.

I dunno but I might even like to try some of that deep-fried up myself..... Sounds kinda good. Mebbe even some orange jello.....

Founder

WS

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
All that soap/jello/cheese/liver/guts/blood/oil-of-olay special mixture stuff is for channel cats. For flatheads and blues you need live bait and cut bait, respectively.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This is interesting. We started using circle hooks years back, and caught almost nothing.

I use circle hooks quite a lot.

So we got 12/0 circles, SS, and put em on our stagings for whatever type line we were going to set... I know we never caught a single yellow on the circles....

Got any ideas?

Normally fish 9/0 SS Oshaugnessy... those get bent up less and less often than the 7/0

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Crappy heads/ 12/0 mustard circle bent offset by hand and and sharpened

Last edited by rickmenefee; 06/11/14.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We sharpened. And wondered about offset, looked like the way a flatheads mouth is, not offset sure might not snag anything...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Uriah
PS: If Vic_in_Va chimes in, listen up. He's a hard-core catfisherman who goes after those whopper blues.

I use these.

[Linked Image]

Cut up like this:

[Linked Image]

To catch these.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am blessed in the fact that I live about 3.42587 minutes from the James river, one of the best Blue cat fisheries on the east coast.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Frickin' A! What's the weight on those things?

And I assume the stuff in the bucket is fresh shad that you caught yourself?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Live crawfish.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
srp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Raw bacon. They can't strip it off the hook as easily as, say a shrimp, plus its salty, cheap, and easily available.

srp

A fool uttereth all his mind - Proverbs 29:11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Top fish went mid-50s, bottom one is low 60s

Correct on the shad, Gizzard shad to be exact. We use a gill net for them.

I don't have many pictures of me holding fish, to give an idea of scale. 90% of the time I'm out there by myself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
them in a freezer bag and sprinkle a pack of sugar free strawberry Jello,

Curious as to why sugar free. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
How does the soaps stay on the hook. Glad I posted this, lots of great info. Thanks to everyone!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner
That's for snappers and groupers.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Best bait for blue cat is carp chopped in 2 in. chunks.

Live perch for yellow cat or fajita meat soaked in chopped garlic.

Chicken, squirrel or rabbit guts for channel cat.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by KR13
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner
That's for snappers and groupers.

And big damn cats over in Lake Ouachita. lol

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Best eva was sun fermented chicken guts. Sometimes smeared with Limburger.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Cotton seed cake.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
there are cats alot bigger then 60lbs in the james. friend of mine caught a 78lber a few years ago.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
How does the soaps stay on the hook. Glad I posted this, lots of great info. Thanks to everyone!

That was always the problem with soap. It was hard to keep on a hook.

Founder

WS

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We would keep soap on the hooks until the next time we ran the lines, 12 hours or so give or take, that was long enough.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
We could never get it to last that long. Personally I don't think dad was puttin' it on right. But I sure as he** wasn't gonna say anything. He fished that river looooong before my time! LOL! When it did stay it caught nice channels. Then again it may just have been the way the soap was.

He had a grasshopper box made out of an old dynamite box. We'd go out in the salt cedars with a Coleman lantern after dark, and catch grasshoppers. We seines bait too. We hardly ever spent money on bait. Except when he bought the soap.

My neighbor here was a real river rat. Spent all his time on the river. It was always hellgrammites for channels and perch for yellow cats with him. And he would drag home the fish. In my pre-marriage days he kept me from starving! LOL seems I'd tend to always show up at their house about grocery time!

Them folks are long gone. I miss em.

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Why do you city slickers use a kitchen match to turn catalpa worms inside out? Dang...we just bite the head off and you can then use the hook to turn em inside out while hooking them.

I'm a refined redneck though...I spit the head out and don't swallow.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is the stuff for any catfish but flatheads. If you have Mexicans araound, you have Zote.

http://www.zote.com.mx/english/about.htm

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I remember reading in one of the Spanish priest's journals from the 1680's along the Rio Grande, that there was this one Indian neophyte who would always bring him a piltote, their word for a yellow cat. He stated it would be tied by the head to the saddle pommel, and tail would be dragging on the ground.

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
there are cats alot bigger then 60lbs in the james. friend of mine caught a 78lber a few years ago.

My biggest is in the 80s. There have been a few "triple-digits" caught.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
blues on trot lines Asian carp cutt bait ,perch for flatheads bank poles Missouri river,channels any thing will work.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Top fish went mid-50s, bottom one is low 60s

Correct on the shad, Gizzard shad to be exact. We use a gill net for them.

I don't have many pictures of me holding fish, to give an idea of scale. 90% of the time I'm out there by myself.

Well if you ever want an official photographer I�d also pay for your gas and food.

In any case, congrats, that�s really impressive.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
4 or 5 cans of Kennel Ration dumped into a burlap sack with a brick in it. Tie the top closed with a piece of rope long enough to reach the top of the water from the bottom of the lake. tie a 1 gallon milk container to the other end of the rope & toss it into the lake. wait a few hours until the catfish start pushing on the sack to get at the dog food. toss your line where the milk container marks the spot. put a little peanut butter on a hook and you have an endless supply of catfish.

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
We could never get it to last that long. Personally I don't think dad was puttin' it on right. But I sure as he** wasn't gonna say anything. He fished that river looooong before my time! LOL! When it did stay it caught nice channels. Then again it may just have been the way the soap was.

He had a grasshopper box made out of an old dynamite box. We'd go out in the salt cedars with a Coleman lantern after dark, and catch grasshoppers. We seines bait too. We hardly ever spent money on bait. Except when he bought the soap.

My neighbor here was a real river rat. Spent all his time on the river. It was always hellgrammites for channels and perch for yellow cats with him. And he would drag home the fish. In my pre-marriage days he kept me from starving! LOL seems I'd tend to always show up at their house about grocery time!

Them folks are long gone. I miss em.

Possibly a difference in water? We always fished backwater eddy edges for channels on top, and the water flow was never much. Only pushed it far enough on to cover the barb, but not split or crack the soap.
If they didn't bite there was usually a dab of it left the next time we checked lines.

We had grasshopper boxes and did the same, but not out of old dynamite boxes... just plywood and wire mesh. Double layer of inner tube on top lapped over each other so you could snag, stick your hand down in, flip em off, and pull hand back through without loosing em.

Seined a lot over the yeras too. Unfortunately now the Colorado has so much moss etc.. you can't even seine for helgramites hardly. Way too much moss in the net to find them. That sucks.

But there are a bazillion shad down here now which we used to not have so many of. Times change.

We've bought soap, but I really enjoyed making my own, but have not done it for years now.

Getting time to fish the last years has been the main issue, and as such haven't caught anything more than a 54 about 5 years back, and only went once this year for a 15 and a 12 pound yellow.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This is the stuff for any catfish but flatheads. If you have Mexicans araound, you have Zote.

Did you read the link? Says made with Citronella oil. IIRC thats same as in some mild bug repellants.
HMMMM Wash outdoor clothes in it and see?

I don't think I"ve seen it here, but we have a mexican lineman that gets it for us when he goes back down south...I might have to look harder at HEB or Walmart though...

Anyone have a clue if my guess re repellant properties might be right? Even if it keeps the gnats at bay a bit better would be nice.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by velcro
4 or 5 cans of Kennel Ration dumped into a burlap sack with a brick in it. Tie the top closed with a piece of rope long enough to reach the top of the water from the bottom of the lake. tie a 1 gallon milk container to the other end of the rope & toss it into the lake. wait a few hours until the catfish start pushing on the sack to get at the dog food. toss your line where the milk container marks the spot. put a little peanut butter on a hook and you have an endless supply of catfish.

That sounds like a lot of fun, espcially for high-volume fishing action with kids.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Growing up a farmer down the road had a farm pond filled with channel cats he raised for sale.He let me catch some a few times a year,when they were reacy to net foe sal. he fed them pelleted fish food and the best way to catch the was to scrape the paint off a popping bug and throw it in with a handful of feed. 8 pound cat on a flyrod fun funfun

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Back when I was in college I had an aquarium. I bought a couple 3" blue cats at the pet store. When I was moving I asked my sister in law if I could put them in their large tank until I got mine setup. They agreed. The very first night they ate half their fish. Oops!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by velcro

Similar we sour maize in a bucket. Take it out by rocks on the lake in the morning, dole it out wiht a scoop and start fishing right away. Doesn't take them long to smell and start feeding. Usually fill a cooler half full fairly quickly. Worms on a hook under a small bobber...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We sharpened. And wondered about offset, looked like the way a flatheads mouth is, not offset sure might not snag anything...
put the shank in a vice bend with a big set of klein's 3/8.
Important-sharpen and re-sharpen

Last edited by rickmenefee; 06/12/14.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Back when I was in college I had an aquarium. I bought a couple 3" blue cats at the pet store. When I was moving I asked my sister in law if I could put them in their large tank until I got mine setup. They agreed. The very first night they ate half their fish. Oops!

If it had been a flathead it would have eaten all of them.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Birddog65: I used to have lots of luck with a worm hook baited with one or two small power bait marshmallows and then a medium size worm.
I used a smallish bobber and a medium sized clamp on sinker about a foot above the hook/bait.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
put the shank in a vice bend with a big set of klein's 3/8.
Important-sharpen and re-sharpen

If it won't cut your fingernail and grab its dull. Factory hooks all need to be touched up some if not lots to start with.

And if you put a perch on, make dang sure to take the scale off the tip of the hook on the other side thats often stuck there as the hook comes out the off side of the perch. If its big enough it can prevent hooking a fish or hooking it well...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chunked Obama butt.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Chunked Obama butt.

I got the DULL blade. mad

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
couple of beat up bloody medium size toughie minnows on a good sized treble hook and one in good condition as your motion one along with his zombie condition friends

good bait in the Cumberland in jan -feb let it ride down on the back side of sandbar where they school up in the winter

easy meal for em

summer fishing

worms
minnows
shad guts

or a combo of the 3 on the same hook

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Did you read the link? Says made with Citronella oil. IIRC thats same as in some mild bug repellants.

I don't think I"ve seen it here, but we have a mexican lineman that gets it for us when he goes back down south...I might have to look harder at HEB or Walmart though...

Anyone have a clue if my guess re repellant properties might be right? Even if it keeps the gnats at bay a bit better would be nice.

Jeff I believe both HEB and wallyworld carry that Zote soap Pat is talking about. It's a big bar!

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fresh Liver from a Liberal Democrat

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
chicken liver wrapped in panty hose works to.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Jeff I believe both HEB and wallyworld carry that Zote soap Pat is talking about. It's a big bar!

My buddy has used it a lot. You are right its big. We had to start looking when you could no longer find the J/B or B/B bars, and my original stock had run out.

I think its time to make more...

But I'm still intrigued enoguh to see about washing our work clothes in the Zote and see if it wards off skeeters and such possibly...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

111 members (6mmCreedmoor, 35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 15 invisible), 967 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.