Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had good luck with the old style yellow box Sheridan cylindrical pellets in my Silver Streak. They weigh about 15 grains and seemed to penetrate better than the lighter ones. $50 is a great deal on your Blue Streak!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pick up a pellet sampler and go from there.

220 Swift still king.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
After a couple of days off, and a few hours spent at the picnic table with this one, I wonder why I never owned one before.

And I also wonder how Americans got away from this kind of manufacturing quality and value.

This may be the ultimate solution for garden pests... Amazingly accurate and plenty hard hitting.

The forearm was a bit noisy while being pumped. I looked at the point of contact for the pump arm and it was obvious that there had been a rubber ring there to act as a pad, or bumper upon closing the forearm.

I pulled it out with needlenose pliers and it crumbled, but the remains looked like a hardened and cracked piece of automotive rubber hose. A short length of Dayco 5/32 i.d. looked just like it may have been original equipment, and effectively silenced my pumping efforts.

I ordered some more pellets online.

The so-called shortage of rimfire ammo seems less important, today...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
grin If you ever get a chance, give one of the moderated PCPs a whirl...quieter than a Red Ryder & spittin pellets out in excess of 900 fps. If you have time, there's probably a club not too far from your area that holds field target matches...you'll probably walk away with a new appreciation of air guns...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been shooting the sheridans since my first one in 1968, it was a 1960 version with the hold down safety. I've since bought up a few as I see them for sale.

Best American air rifle technology ever. I owned a dozen of the various springers and PCPs over the years. All are gone except the sheridans.

The service complexity and frequency of the springers just got to be too much. Plus I can leave them loaded and ready to shoot without setting the spring and weakening it.

The Sheridan is loud to pump, loud to shoot, and a bit of effort. However my oldest one is 60 years old, has been pumped a gazillion times and fired more times then you can imagine. With the peep sights I have skimmed the top of a blue tip match to light it at 20 yards, shot flys off the fence with my buddies for several summers as a kid. More birds and bullfrogs then could be imagined

These sheridans were built to be handed down for generations, my 12 year old son took one out today to shoot starlings in the orchard. It's 60 years old! The total cost for a valve rebuild is about 20 bucks and then it's as good as the day it was made for another 50 years.

I'm a fan of the Sheridan, it's 1/3 the weight of a springer, 1/4 the cost, effortless no recoil shooting and at least in my hands more accurate then any springer I have owned. Plus it will last many lifetimes. Oh yeah, equal in power to all but the most powerful, but the more wear prone and difficult to shoot springers.

From a bench I could shoot a springer, especially my AA pro elite as well. But from hunting in the woods positions that Sheridan beat the springers hands down

[Linked Image]

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Spot on JJ...my sentiments exactly on the springers. As much as I love the old Sheridans, I've been won over by the new PCPs. wink Partly because of the availability of factory offerings that have shrouded barrels & attachable LDCs but also because they can be had as repeaters. My next will probably be a Kalibrgun Cricket in .25 smirk

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I googled the kalibregun.

Thanks, but no...

And I briefly looked to see if there were any airgun leagues or competitions in my area. Came up empty handed on that...

I wish every $50 I spent made me feel as good as the purchase of the Sheridan...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first pellet gun was a pump Sheridan - still have it.
This thread made me get it out and fondle it for a while.

Lots of great memories from years ago ; no telling how many pests I've disposed of with that thing......

I think you'll enjoy yours... cool smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Juuuust missed one here on Craigslist for $50.....dang

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience mirrors that of many here. My silver streak is 50 years old. I got it new for my 11th birthday. I had it in the closet awhile durning my 'springer' phase. Now it is back in use and the FWB 124 springer is in the closet. The primary use now is for squirrels that venture onto my house and feral cats in my wooded backyard. They are classics and probably one of the best tools for teaching kids the value of the first shot. Plus it builds young muscles in the process.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Value grade Gamo up to 200 bucks will take care of stuff, and you don't need to worry too much about your investment.

Past that level of spend, it's managing regrets, aka - eliminate things that don't fit, or are better done by a 22. Plenty of marketing Bull out there, don't let it get to you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Value grade Gamo up to 200 bucks will take care of stuff, and you don't need to worry too much about your investment.

I guess everybody has different tastes but there's no way I'd fork over $200 for a Gamo springer when a Benjamin pumper could be had for less.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Technology wise any spring air combo should be OK.... But the higher end Gamo's can be had on sale for ~125 so it's ok, if you pay upper end for one, I tend to agree.

But, I don't like pump jobs anymore, one cock and dead, OR go really high end like a marauder

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

But, I don't like pump jobs anymore, one cock and dead, OR go really high end like a marauder

I'm exact opposite, I haven't liked springers since I was a kid with an old Daisy model 25...first time I shot a pump up, I knew there were better options... wink

ETA: Even though the Marauder is a good gun, it's actually kind of "Low End" for a pcp...

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 07/05/14.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
More than a decade ago, Webley made a side lever spring-piston .25-caliber rifle; I believe it was called "Osprey." My understanding was/is that it was among the most satisfactory air rifles for small game - that is, powerful, accurate, well made, and its rigid barrel made consistent accuracy easy to maintain.

I have tried to obtain this rifle for years, but no one has made one available. . . . I wonder why "large bore" side lever spring-piston air rifles are not ubiquitous?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
German airguns are very good Weihrauch/Beeman being no 1 and then Diana/RWS.
Both companies make many different kinds of airrifles and
pistol(s).
Look at their homepages and you will find a lot.

Brittish Air Arms are also very good, but very expensive too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
The little sheridan came with a full tin of benjamin 14.3 gr pellets...

I note the above recommendation for the polymag. Any other recommends???

Saved my penny's and bought my first Blue Streak in January of 1964. Just had it rebuilt for the second time, shoots like new again.

I picked up a first or second year ( 1949 or 50) Silver Streak awhile back at a gun show. It is now rebuilt, broken parts fixed, and shooting good except some one has filed down the front sight, so now in the thought process of how best to fix it.

Sheridan's are hard to beat for all an all around fun or hunting pellet rifle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.