Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dilemma settled. I ordered the 2.5 Suzuki this morning.

I smell blackened speckled trout in my near future!

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I think I'm gonna buy a 12' Frontier NuCanoe here in the next day or two. If I were a man of means (like some of you guys wink ) I'd spring for one of these and a 520watt-hour battery with solar charger. 'Bout $3400.00 out the door, but would be awesome for a Kayak or small canoe.

http://www.torqeedosouthwest.com/category/torqeedo/ultralight/

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

Rick may I ask ball park price on what you're paying? Did you order on line or local?

Thanks,

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

Rick may I ask ball park price on what you're paying? Did you order on line or local?

Thanks,

Jordan

I ordered it from Cumberland Watersports in Dickson, TN (newoutboards.com). I called to verify it is a 2014 with full Suzuki 3 yr. warranty. The salesman said their shipment had only been in house for 3 weeks. $709 shipped to my door. I just checked the tracking number and it looks like it will be here this evening!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Rick, just remember, a canoe doesn't plane like a jon boat, so you aren't going to waterski behind this motor. Like I said previously, she performs on my square stern at half throttle, just about as well as she performs at full throttle and she'll be quieter and a lot better on gas. You have to be satisfied with 6 to 10 mph and not expect to beat the thunderstorm off the lake if you leave too late.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
...You have to be satisfied with 6 to 10 mph...

...and not having to paddle.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 5hp Briggs on the back of my 1232 Tracker. Like others have posted, it vibrates and is LOUD but I use it solely on a shallow river to duck hunt. No water pump to worry about is nice. Sitting on a Harbor Fright trailer, suits my needs perfectly

[Linked Image]

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Rick, just remember, a canoe doesn't plane like a jon boat, so you aren't going to waterski behind this motor. You have to be satisfied with 6 to 10 mph and not expect to beat the thunderstorm off the lake if you leave too late.

I quit water-skiing 15 years ago when I broke a couple ribs. Low speed is no problem as long as it will keep me from paddling 800# of oysters! I'll mainly be fishing bays and bayous. I'll venture out on the "big pond" when the weather is right.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Did the motor come? Did you try it out?

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RobJordan
I think I'm gonna buy a 12' Frontier NuCanoe here in the next day or two. If I were a man of means (like some of you guys wink ) I'd spring for one of these and a 520watt-hour battery with solar charger. 'Bout $3400.00 out the door, but would be awesome for a Kayak or small canoe.

http://www.torqeedosouthwest.com/category/torqeedo/ultralight/

Rob - you don't have to buy that one for a boat your size. The self-contained one will do it for under 2k...

http://www.torqeedosouthwest.com/product/torqeedo-travel-1003/

I would wait on that Nu-Canoe. There are better boats in that size and price range.

I don't know what the fuss is about the Tohatsu motors. I have a 3.5 hp one on my 1500 lb 20' sailboat, and it pushes it around at hull speed just fine at about half-throttle. It isn't as smooth and quiet as a Honda, but it isn't obnoxious either. It starts right up and idles indefinitely (near as I can tell) without any problems. The biggest problem yo might have with one on a canoe is that you spin the motor around to reverse it - but I don't know that the others that size are any different.

If I were you, I would go with an electric trolling motor, but you don't have to use an RV battery. You can get the smaller deep-cycle battery made for electric wheelchairs, and it won't be near as heavy or bulky (or costly). Buy two and you can have a spare and spread the weight out.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here's my further take on it, Rob....

Spend more money on the boat, and you can find a usable electric troller on craigslist for cheap. Get something with a more efficient hull than that Nu-Canoe. And lighter - so it will be easy to car-top. Shop used for the boat, and get more for your money. Maybe something like this...

http://www.wenonah.com/Canoes.aspx?id=107

...or this...

http://www.esquif.com/en/sporting/heron/

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
What length Grumman Freighter do you have?

sorry TAK just saw this

I have the 19 footer

figure that way when I tell the girls I got a big one, I'm at least partially truthfull grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've mentioned it before, but...
For you guys who want a small, light, easy to handle boat that will give good performance with a small motor, you can't do much better than a Porta-bote. They come in 8,10,12, and 14' models. In the smaller sizes, there are quite a few used ones to be found on Craigslist or Ebay.
You can fold it up to car top, keep it set up to haul in the back of a pickup, or get a small trailer to haul it. I have the 14' model. I keep it set up most of the time and have a cheap Harbor Frt trailer that I haul it on. I also just built a rack on my pickup to car top it set up when I pull my camp trailer. The 14' weighs all of 105lb. The smaller ones are much lighter.

It only ships 4" of water and it will really fly with a minimal motor.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 76 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.