Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Anyone have experience handling or shooting one of these rifles ?
I will have one that has been sporterized by next week.
Just curious if they are a good rifle.
Are they Just a 98 chambered for 30-06
Any quirks about them?Good steel used in them etc.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine made a great donor action for my 9.3x62.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a Belgium FN 98 with custom work and Canjar trigger I picked up from a Fire contributor. Built it into 9.3x62 with Shilen barrel. Then, I traded for an AHR CZ 550 in 9.3x62. I sold the 9.3x62 Shilen barrel and put a 6.5x55 Shilen on the action. Stock is a B&C Medalist. Those are nice actions for a custom build.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for info
I think I will just leave mine in the Mundane 30-06.Stepped barrel and all.
If it shoots good that is.
If it doesn,t then I may have
to rebarrel .
To another barrel in 30-06 !
Mauser in 30-06 just seems to be a great combo.
I do hope that these rifles are not super heavy though.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bcraig

I do hope that these rifles are not super heavy though.

They're neither the lightest nor the heaviest of actions. Rifle weight depends on how they're set up, barrel size and length, stock, etc.

I don't see them as a popular choice for LW rifles.

They are a great choice for tough, using rifles suitable for harsh conditions and hard use.

DF

IC B2

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks,this one will come with original stepped barrel,Dont know how much the stock is going to weigh.
I just dont want to start with a rifle that weighs 9 pounds without scope !
Tough using rifle is exactly what I had in mind for a Mauser 30-06
I already have a couple of 98's in 8x57 J and both are lightweights so I needed this like I need another hole in the head BUT I wanted it !
I really like Mausers!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I understand a Loony's confession of "need" and I understand your "thing" with Mausers... laugh

DF

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I have been wanting an FN action with the stepped military barrel in 3006 for quite a while. The action will weigh around 45 ounces and the stepped military barrel will be slightly over 32 ounces, depending on where the steps in the barrel are. A 29 inch barrel cut down is usually heavier than a 24 inch from the factory. If it is an FN barrel they are usually quite accurate. So depending on the stock the gun should weigh slightly less than 7 lbs, which is a very nice weight. Enjoy.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have owned a couple of FN Mauser rifles, a 30-06 and a 250-3000. Very nice rifles, dont see many of them around anymore.
Would love to own one in 9x57mm, but have never even seen one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My primary carry rifle for many years was one of those FN actions with a FN stepped 30-06 barrel. The stepped feature kind of grew on me and It shot so sell I purchased a couple extra surplus ( new in factory wrappers ) barrels .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mine, a factory FN, shoots very well and is made as a proper rifle should be made. If weight is not a matter I cannot imagine a better hunting tool.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks guys
Nice pics of rifles as well !

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The rifle you reference was made between about 1949-1952. The "C" ring inside is broached on only the right side. Unlike most Mausers they are made of 4140 ordinance steel. They may be the finest sporting Mauser action ever made other than the GMA's which start at $3500.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My custom FN Mauser sporter in 35 Whelen is so well balanced that it definitely feels lighter than it is at about 8 3/4 lbs scoped. The stock fits well so the recoil seems less than my 30-06. I expect you will be happy with the rifle.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks again,
Learning alot from this thread.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've had a couple of the rifles made for Sears on the commercial actions and one of the FN sporters, which I never fired. I just can't seem to hold on to them for some reason.

They're a little heavy, the bolts wobble a bit, and the front action screw goes right into the small recoil lug; all deadly faults according to current thinking. But to my eye, and in my hands, nothing can compare to a good 98, and the FNs are among the finest, certainly the best within the grasp of most of us. There's something about that big chunk of machined, forged steel that just shouts "Rifle".

I hope I didn't make any of you cry.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Here's a Belgium FN 98 with custom work and Canjar trigger I picked up from a Fire contributor. Built it into 9.3x62 with Shilen barrel. Then, I traded for an AHR CZ 550 in 9.3x62. I sold the 9.3x62 Shilen barrel and put a 6.5x55 Shilen on the action. Stock is a B&C Medalist. Those are nice actions for a custom build.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was about to pull the trigger on that action when I phoned my Smith to ask a few build questions, went back to holler the three magic words and it was gone, you fast drawing *^$@#$%^&*%#$. laugh laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
laugh

That's funny, Gunner.

Glad I was there to protect you from yourself.... cool

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
bcraig;
Thanks for starting the educational thread, I appreciate yet again the input from our members.

As it turns out the FN barrel information is timely for me as I'm putting together an '06 for our eldest daughter using a stepped FN barrel and VZ24 action. It shot quite well in the tester stock and so she's going to get the first full length, Mannlicher style stock I've ever built.

I'll say before leaving that subject that inletting the steps into a full wood stock is proving to be much more time consuming than I'd thought it might be. grin

As far as the FN actions, as others have stated they made actions for a lot of companies, among them the large ring Husqvarna rifles from the '50's.

While overall quality is very much a subjective thing, I'd say that in my opinion based upon playing with various Mauser type actions over the last 30 + years that it'd be a toss up between FN and the Swedish built actions for overall fit and finish.

I can only guess what a new one would cost these days, but it would likely be quite steep judging from the finish on today's rifle actions.

Hopefully that was useful information to you or someone out there this morning sir. Good luck with your rifle whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
laugh

That's funny, Gunner.

Glad I was there to protect you from yourself.... cool

DF

Yeah, Thanks Buddy. cry cry lol

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.