Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If your gun will shoot them and you think you will ever be elk hunting partitions all the way never had one fail me.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
isnt the accubond basically a partition with a tip for better accuracy?

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The tip has little to do with accuracy. It's to initiate expansion and to keep people from getting fussy about the nose of lead tipped bullets getting beat up in the mag box. Guys around here will throw ammo away with beat up tips thinking they won't be accurate when they will still fly true as new. The base has much more to do with accuracy than the tip.

Partitions can be very accurate and Accubonds can in inaccurate, all depends on lots of things.

If you are looking for a deer bullet the Hornady SP or Nosler Ballistic Tip is hard to beat.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
"...let your rifle choose which one it likes best."

Couldn't agree more.

DF

Further agreement. My 30-06 seems to dislike 180 Accubonds for some reason. Always shoots the 180 Partitions better.

My 300 WSM's are the same way. AB's aren't nearly as accurate as PT's. In fact out of about 6 or 10 different bullets I've tried the 180 Partitions are the most accurate.

And they work great on deer. Very little meat damage(mess) on lung shots.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Couldn't agree more.

DF

Further agreement. My 30-06 seems to dislike 180 Accubonds for some reason. Always shoots the 180 Partitions better.

My 300 WSM's are the same way. AB's aren't nearly as accurate as PT's. In fact out of about 6 or 10 different bullets I've tried the 180 Partitions are the most accurate.

Do you think that may be a function of flat base vs. boattail bullet shape?

DF

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
what i used last year was the hornady american whitetail 150gr. no complaints really although i lost a huge blood trail on a doe i shot. probably my fault. just always wanting to try to find that perfect bullet i guess. i used BTs out of my 270 a couple yrs ago killed 3 bucks and all three there was zero blood trails even tho 2 of the bucks werent hard to find. the 3rd i found one drop of blood and after wandering thro the woods aimlessly for a couple hours finally found my deer. shot behind shoulder a little low. i just like a good blood trail. always had a good blood trail with corelokts out of the 270 maybe i should stick with those lol.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I am a fan of the heavy blood trail also, the only bullet that I did not get a good blood trail from was a 140 Sierra BTSP from my 260. Hard quartering shot @ 20yds, hit the offside shoulder with no exit. No more Sierras for me.

The deer I have shot with ballistic tips from my 30/06 have been down quick with heavy blood trails, I shoot 180s from it and I have never recovered one from a deer as all have passed through.

Look at the Barnes Vor-Tex ammo if you don't reload. They show a 150 TTSX for the 308 Win. I am much a fan of the 130's, again from my 30/06's.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by killindeer
isnt the accubond basically a partition with a tip for better accuracy?

Technically....no.

The plastic tip does not make them necessarily more accurate.

Actually shooting both side by side, I don't see any difference to 500-600 yards.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Couldn't agree more.

DF

Same here. I've had excellent results with the partitions and just mediocre accuracy with the AB's. However, I have not tried them in years. I may have also been loading too close to the lands with the AB's. From my experience, the partitions aren't as fussy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
The tip has little to do with accuracy. It's to initiate expansion and to keep people from getting fussy about the nose of lead tipped bullets getting beat up in the mag box. Guys around here will throw ammo away with beat up tips thinking they won't be accurate when they will still fly true as new. The base has much more to do with accuracy than the tip.

Partitions can be very accurate and Accubonds can in inaccurate, all depends on lots of things.

If you are looking for a deer bullet the Hornady SP or Nosler Ballistic Tip is hard to beat.

I like the way you think.....I'll also have to add the BTSP Hornady interlocks to that list as well...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
is that what the american whitetail hornady ammo is? the btsp?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe it is the flat base.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
As I posted earlier, asking about the difference between flat base and boattail, does anyone know how a "tight" bore vs. one not so tight may favor one type bullet over the other?

I'm thinking a looser bore may perform better with the obturator effect of the fired charge behind the flat base NPT. That bullet has an exposed lead core, which could facilitate easier expansion of the base to conform to the rifling, whereas the boattail design won't do that as easily.

I'm also thinking a tight bore may not favor one over the other as much. So, it would be interesting to know the bore diameter of those guns favoring the NPT over the NAB.

Just thinking...

I know, I know, that can be dangerous... shocked

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As I posted earlier, asking about the difference between flat base and boattail, does anyone know how a "tight" bore vs. one not so tight may favor one type bullet over the other?

I'm thinking a looser bore may perform better with the obturator effect of the fired charge behind the flat base NPT. That bullet has an exposed lead core, which could facilitate easier expansion of the base to conform to the rifling, whereas the boattail design won't do that as easily.

I'm also thinking a tight bore may not favor one over the other as much. So, it would be interesting to know the bore diameter of those guns favoring the NPT over the NAB.

Just thinking...

DF

Interesting....never thought of that with the BT bullet.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I put a lot of game on the ground in and meat on the table with a 140 gr Nosler Partition out of a 7 x 57. I am sort of a lazy fellow, I work up a load for a rifle, in this case a first generation Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional that I have had since 1975 when I bought it. 50gr of IMR-4350 and a Winchester Western Case. One load for every thing I am willing to shoot with a 7 x 57. Yea the partition will be fine out of your 308 and so would the hornaday. If the load you have is working for you keep shooting it and spend more time at the range than the loading bench.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My bullet in my .308 has been the 140 grain Barnes X bullet. When those are all gone 150 grain NBT's will replace them. The only reason I used the X bullet was I found a couple boxes of old stock very cheap when I first built the rifle. Also I wanted a load for both deer and black bear. In my opinion for whitetail deer the .308 with the 150 grain Hornday Interlock is plenty. I am a big Nosler fan though. I have killed more deer with the NBT in one caliber or another than anything. between Partition ot Accubond I would pick the one my rifle liked best.

I would like to try the 130 grain Barnes though.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Just thinking...

DF

Could be a function of the remaining 1/3rd of the jacket material on the Accubonds. but, as in any rifle/bullet combination, listen to the gun, much like Women, she'll tell you what she likes.

To the OP, either in 150 gr weight in your 308W will reliably kill any deer thats ever taken a breath of air.

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Gunner,

You thinking the thicker jacket, back 1/3rd of the NAB, may be less pliable than the back 1/3rd of the NPT?

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes.

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What's your thinking on the tighter bore rifles shooting both about the same and maybe the not so tight bores, favoring the FB NPT?

DF

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

603 members (270cowboy, 257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 70 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,295
Posts18,448,991
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.